Samsung Rises to Record as Smartphones Help Keep Pace With Apple - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-01-29, 07:46 PM   #1
james99

Default Samsung Rises to Record as Smartphones Help Keep Pace With Apple

Jan. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Samsung Electronics Co. jumped to a record in Seoul trading after surging smartphone sales boosted profit and helped Asia’s largest consumer-electrics company keep pace with Apple Inc.

Quote:
Samsung shipped more smartphones last year than Apple did iPhones, with the popularity of its Galaxy models helping the Korean company sell a record 300 million handsets.
Really impressive numbers but not a surprise.

Being number one must be fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-29, 09:15 PM   #2
timlocke

Having spent this w/e playing with a new Galaxy Nexus I can understand why they are doing well.
Old 2012-01-29, 10:13 PM   #3
travisc
Veteran

Apple still takes a lot more profit out of the smartphone market. But Samsung sure is a strong company.
Old 2012-01-30, 09:46 AM   #4
jshel101
Veteran

Except the last quarter, where the iPhone 4S outsold all of Samsung's many smartphones by a few million. 300 million is pretty impressive numbers for Samsung. But, how many smartphones does Samsung have? Last year they where competing against the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, and Apple still was able to come close to Samsung's numbers with far greater revenue. I have no respect for Samsung anymore, especially since their major add campaign is to bash Apple. It is almost like Samsung thinks they can't compete with Apple product vs product, they have to bash Apple to try and get ahead. Sorry, rant is over. Don't get me wrong, Samsung has some nice smartphones, just don't agree with their marketing.
Old 2012-01-30, 09:51 AM   #5
NeilN
Veteran

Eh, I have a lot of Apple products and don't mind Samsung ads (they remind me of Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign). I think Samsung will pull away from Apple this year in terms of units sold but Apple will still get the lion's share of the profits.
Old 2012-01-30, 09:54 AM   #6
jshel101
Veteran

I agree Apple will still get the majority share of the profits. Samsung will probably sell more phones also, but I think Apple will come really close, especially if the iPhone 5 is a big hit, and they make it big in China.
Old 2012-01-30, 10:11 AM   #7
Veee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
I have no respect for Samsung anymore, especially since their major add campaign is to bash Apple. It is almost like Samsung thinks they can't compete with Apple product vs product, they have to bash Apple to try and get ahead. Sorry, rant is over. Don't get me wrong, Samsung has some nice smartphones, just don't agree with their marketing.
I suppose you were equally against Apple's "MAC vs. PC" marketing campaign?
Old 2012-01-30, 10:24 AM   #8
jshel101
Veteran

No I wasn't against them, those where good commercials.
Old 2012-01-30, 11:32 AM   #9
audacity
Veteran

I enjoyed the Samsung ads and the Apple ads, except where they weren't truthful. But those two lines of ads are certainly developed using the same pattern/recipe.

Quote:
No I wasn't against them, those where(sic) good commercials.
I'm glad you see the irony too.