Industry Canada puts moratorium on the use of television channel 51 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-01-24, 04:18 PM   #31
ScaryBob
Veteran

My argument is for using a central tower in all major centers to carry all national networks plus local stations. That's radically different from the current situation in Canada but similar to the British system. With the current Canadian system any major population centers are not served by one or more major network. Where more than one network is owned by a single company (CTV and CTV2) they are actually prevented from having transmitters for both networks in the same market. Low powered stations are suitable for remote or geographically isolated areas but not for areas close to other major centers. VHF-lo should be abandoned by commercial TV broadcasters due to the problems with ATSC. It may be more suited to other uses such as digital radio or analog voice communications.
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-25, 09:41 AM   #32
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

ScaryBob, I understand your issue, but I think you are confusing the point. What you are asking for is for stations to all share the same towers so that you only have one to aim at. This could be done with one centralized tower with massive transmitters, or could be done with many lower powered distributed towers.

The issue with one high power transmitter approach is the interference zone created is much larger. By having all the stations share several smaller towers within the city, the interference zone would be smaller, allowing better use of the spectrum (especially if a SFN is used).