NBC and Superbowl Commercials - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-07, 04:28 AM   #31
Brent McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
It kind of sucks here in Victoria. The closest OTA tower for CTV is in the Vancouver area. In order to get CTV ota here you need a pretty decent outdoor antenna. You're average joe with an indoor antenna can't pick it up.

I would think Victoria is far enough away that shaw shouldn't have to simsub it, but unfortunately they are simsubbing it.

It kind of sucks as I got used to the US commercials the last 4 years while living in Edmonton (allthough it looks like CTV has gone OTA in HD in Edmonton now, so they're screwed too).

Maybe I'll send a complaint to the CRTC tomorrow asking why shaw is simsubbing where theres no local transmittor.
It's actually pretty simple. If Shaw in Victoria is carrying the CTV Vancouver HD channel then I'm pretty sure they have to simsub the Vancouver signal over the American signal. As I recall, the rule is that if there is a Canadian station in your time zone and which is carried by your local cable carrier, the cable carrier is required to simsub that signal. It has to be the same format of course - you can't simsub an SD signal over an HD signal, but other than that, as long as the station is in the same time zone as your city and is carrying a program at the same time it will be simsubbed.
Brent McKee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-07, 01:40 PM   #32
Zod

The way I understand it, is that the channel has to be carried over the air to require the simsub.

IE. In Edmonton last year CTV had an HD station, but it wasn't OTA. Shaw didn't have to simsub it. Also Calgary already had an OTA CTV HD channel at the time (same time zone), they didn't have to simsub that into Edmonton either.

I'm pretty sure the simsub rules are directly tied to the channel being available over the air in your area. The problem with victoria is were right on the cusp of being able to get CTV HD. For the most part you can't, unless you're in a higher elevation and have a good outdoor antenna.

Last edited by downbeat; 2012-02-09 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Quote removed
Zod is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-08, 06:48 AM   #33
Brent McKee

Okay, you appear to be right about the OTA requirement (though I really would like to see the actual CRTC rule). However the law apparently also refers to regions and Victoria is within the Vancouver region. The maps at TV Fool show that you can receive the CTV station there.

I hate to say it but it seems that our national reliance on cable and satellite to deliver TV signals really falls down on this point. There's no incentive for a station like CIVT to provide good service to Vancouver Island if most people are using cable TV over IP or satellite. It therefore becomes a vicious circle.

Last edited by downbeat; 2012-02-09 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Quote removed
Brent McKee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-08, 03:23 PM   #34
Zod

The way I feel about it is, is the strength of CTV signal in Victoria is pretty weak. You need a fairly high quality outdoor antenna at a higher elevation to pick it up clearly.

It would be nice if the CRTC tighten up the rules a bit. Do some testing, if people can't pick it up with a simple indoor antenna setup, then maybe it shouldn't be considered a broadcast area. Maybe they would install repeaters if the cable companies didn't have to simsub in the area.

If i buy a house I might try to install a decent outdoor antenna. Depending where you live in Victoria you can pick up seattle stations. It only works in the higher elevated areas though.

Last edited by downbeat; 2012-02-09 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Quote removed
Zod is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-09, 01:37 PM   #35
downbeat

Default Thread closing

Let's end on this point: An OTA station's contour isn't based on your ability to receive a signal easily, rather a theoretical line at a predetermined signal strength called the "noise limiting bounding contour". So while it's a long shot for most Victoria residents to get Vancouver TV stations, most of those stations' contours lie just outside the Victoria city limits, or they might even cross the city a little. In any case, enough for a simsub to come into effect.
Now … we've gone far off topic — U.S. Super Bowl commercials and their non-availability on Shaw — and the Super Bowl is over for another year, so this thread is closing.
However, I encourage you to peruse the Canadian Television Industry forum, where there are plenty of discussion on the pros and (mostly) cons of simsibbing.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Thanks for your understanding.
downbeat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.