NBC and Superbowl Commercials - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-11, 07:30 PM   #1
Axel7
Rookie

Default NBC and Superbowl Commercials

OK i know this is much talked about every year,

But we have Shaw cable with HD here in Langley, BC (Superbowl is on NBC this year)
I know channel 202 is NBC west and CTV takes over and puts there logo ontop. So it will have the canadian commercials... BUT the east feed here is channel 207 and we get a Detroit feed.... ALL the commercials daily is from detroit so will the Superbowl commercials come in too????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-11, 07:32 PM   #2
statman

sorry Axel.
CTV simsubs all feeds, including east and west, sd and hd.
Old 2012-01-11, 07:38 PM   #3
Axel7
Rookie

then goto 207 right now and tell me you see any cdn commercials on that channel
while 202 will have cdn content
Old 2012-01-11, 07:45 PM   #4
statman

it doesn't matter what's on there right now. CTV simsubs all feeds for NFL games.
Old 2012-01-11, 07:47 PM   #5
mungar

The last few years, the East Coast HD feed (channel 207 this year) has shown the full American broadcast and has not been simsubbed. I don't know for sure if it will continue this year, but it likely will, as all NFL games this season have shown American feeds (and not been simsubbed).
Old 2012-01-11, 07:50 PM   #6
statman

that's wrong Mungar. it may have been that way about 5 years ago, but trust me, CTV will be simsubbing all playoff games on all feeds, and already have been for the wildcard round games this year.
Old 2012-01-11, 08:29 PM   #7
mungar

Like I said, I don't know if it will be done this year, but I watch the Super Bowl every year, and I have always received the American feed (and commercials) on the East Coast HD feed (whether it is Fox, CBS, or NBC). All other SD and HD feeds have been simsubbed though.

Here is one of the posts from last year: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...9&postcount=74. I'm in BC, and I believe the West Coast HD feeds were simsubbed here, although I can't be certain. The East Coast ones definitely showed the full American feed.
Old 2012-01-11, 08:42 PM   #8
statman

mungar,
you may not be in the lower mainland because that may have something to do with it, but in the greater vancouver area, all NFL playoff games have been simsubbed on all feeds, east and west, hd and sd, for at least 3 seasons on Shaw cable. This includes this season, as all 4 games were simsubbed on all feeds last weekend. The only game that will not be is the sunday late afternoon game between the giants and packers as that game is on TSN, not CTV.
Old 2012-01-11, 10:44 PM   #9
stanl

In the past the HD feeds were not simulcast since the local stations were not broadcasting in HD and a simulcast must offer a comparable signal. That changed as soon as the local station was in HD. And yes, that includes both East & West feeds since they are on at the same time.

When that occurred in your market will vary since some CTV stations went HD before others.

Last year, most markets were simulcast, including the area within the local service of CTV Vancouver, and this year will not be different.

If you want to watch the Super Bowl commercials the only sure way is to rent a hotel room in Bellingham.

Now, there is a possibility that you can get a satellite feed that bypasses the local rules but I don't know if that is feasible in your situation. But you will definitely have both East and West feeds sim-subbed by Shaw.
Old 2012-01-12, 01:10 PM   #10
dcameronh
Rookie

I'm from Calgary and I too see the east feed taken over by CTV now. It use to be a few years ago that they would not but that is not the case anymore here. It really is annoying as I do so miss the better commercials.
Old 2012-01-12, 01:18 PM   #11
magnet

So it appears you will need to find a friend with Shaw direct satellite to see the USA commercials for the superbowl as they will only blackout in the area designated for CTV Toronto HD.
Old 2012-01-12, 02:53 PM   #12
GumboKing

Last year they had not yet done the simsub for SuperBowl in Winnipeg, but I am certain it will happen this year as all the playoffs have had simsubs going on every US channel East and West. The simsub usually switches off just as the second game starts in the tv schedule.

Other than the lousy commercials, it ticks me off as there seems to be a lot of sound dropouts and the occasional picture drop on the Winnipeg CTV feed that is simsubbed in. I don't know if anyone else is seeing those issues or if it is just me.
Old 2012-01-13, 01:46 AM   #13
Mixar69

Quote:
Other than the lousy commercials, it ticks me off as there seems to be a lot of sound dropouts and the occasional picture drop on the Winnipeg CTV feed that is simsubbed in. I don't know if anyone else is seeing those issues or if it is just me.
Now that you mention it I too have been noticing sound dropouts on CTV Winnipeg over the last 3 weeks or so while watching the news. So any simulcasting off this station likely will be plagued with them or at least be more frequent the one would like to tolerate especially during a big event such as the Superbowl.

Oh and a FYI for me as well the audio dropouts are accompanied by small video glitches.
Old 2012-01-13, 02:34 AM   #14
downbeat

Exclamation On topic, please

Folks,
This thread is SOLELY to discuss Shaw's handling/mishandling of NFL simsubs as it related to the the Super Bowl.
For general simsub discussions, please see the Canadian Television Industry forum and find the proper thread.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12
A few posts have been removed.
Thanks for your understanding and your co-operation.
Old 2012-01-13, 03:05 PM   #15
sweetestbaby

It wasn't always like that but as of recent years CTV has taken over for Super Bowl and will continue to.
Closed Thread