Aliant TV 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Aliant Home Phone, Internet, IPTV

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-22, 01:08 PM   #31
NO-CRTC

I couldn't agree with you more, when Hollywood Suite launched not long ago, they had ZERO customers signed up. I would think they would be croaking to sell this package to carriers. FibreOP is superior in many things, but adding channels is something they really are dragging their asses on. The packages do suck, we need more selection. I don't mind paying for it either.
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-22, 02:50 PM   #32
Tridus

They move more or less at the same speed as Rogers Atlantic on this, which isn't a high standard... though TBH there's very few new channels that I ever give a damn about. I really do want CBC News Network in HD though.
Old 2012-02-22, 08:01 PM   #33
philster

Like it was said earlier, if Eastlink can get them why can't Bell Aliant. I hope as more areas in Nova Scotia get hooked into Fiber Op they will invest in their channels or else it will be hard to get people to switch from Eastlink. I mean It's easy here in NB as Rogers is also dragging their feet with new Channels.

However all I can do is wish and dream as I'll never go to Rogers.
Old 2012-02-25, 02:54 PM   #34
NO-CRTC

I was just looking at the Hollywood suite website, and Bell Satellite and Bell Fibre both carry it already. Now isn't Bell the parent company of Aliant? If Bell can get it, why can't we. This is a policy problem in FibreOP, some manager somewhere should be dismissed, that department isn't pulling it's weight.
Old 2012-02-28, 09:52 PM   #35
danmacdonald100
Rookie

Default Bell Fibe have Hollywood Suite, not Bell Fibre

Bell Fibe (GTA) have Hollywood Suite, NOT Bell Fibre (Maritimes)

http://www.hollywoodsuite.ca/watch-hollywood-suite
Old 2012-02-29, 07:08 AM   #36
NO-CRTC

I know what Bell Fibre is, I was merely pointing out that Bell satellite and fibre has it, and they are the parent company of Aliant, so what takes Bell Aliant so long?
Old 2012-02-29, 09:31 AM   #37
sgu222e

Bell Canada only has a 44% management stake in 'Bell Aliant', and they still operate as 2 separate companies for now... This would mean that Bell Canada and Bell Aliant would have to negotiate separately to be able to carry a new channel, with the exception of the stations that Bell Canada owns.

Personally, I just want more HD channels included in the basic HD package... like Discovery and History
Old 2012-02-29, 02:08 PM   #38
McPatrick

just because the bell is in the name doesn't mean they own it
Old 2012-02-29, 02:13 PM   #39
NO-CRTC

They have sizeable shares. At any rate, I still don't understand how eastlink, bell, and a host of others can negotiate with these channels so fast, and it takes aliant forever. The only conclusion I can come up with is lack of will, poor planning and a general disregard for their customers. It doesn't take a year to negotiate something like that while your competitors do it in a month or two.
Old 2012-02-29, 02:14 PM   #40
nic78

It is basically all one company. It is just organized this way for financial reasons.
Old 2012-02-29, 03:53 PM   #41
Tridus

I see a couple of possibilities:

1. They're understaffed because FibreOp has been growing pretty quickly and they're just having a hard time keeping up with this stuff.

2. The channels want too much money and to be in the base package to get more subscribers, and Aliant doesn't want to raise the base price.

3. They're looking to Rogers Atlantic for an example.
Old 2012-02-29, 04:01 PM   #42
NO-CRTC

If they are under staffed, they should hire more people, possibly someone with experience in this area. I just checked out bell satellite, and Hollywood Suite is available as a separate package for 8 bucks. Not a bad deal. Looking good for when my Aliant contract is up.
Old 2012-03-01, 07:08 AM   #43
Tridus

Personally I'm betting on #2. Their subscriber numbers are growing, but starting from a tiny number doesn't give you much leverage in carriage negotiations. Better to not carry the channel at all then to have to overcharge for it, especially if it's going in the base package.
Old 2012-03-01, 07:27 AM   #44
habskilla

My guess is that there is no budget to get new channels. I think their thinking is get FibreOp out there. Get some cash flow coming to in to offset the huge cost of rolling out FibreOp. In time, they'll throw some money and resources into getting more channels.

Then again, I could just ask my VP buddy at BellAliant. But then again, what fun would that be?
Old 2012-03-01, 05:16 PM   #45
Danster

^^^^^ A sure way of getting to know the truth?