Aliant TV 2012 New Channels Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Aliant Home Phone, Internet, IPTV

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-01, 09:00 PM   #1
Dr.Dave

Default Aliant TV 2012 New Channels Discussion

New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Aliant but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Aliant has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142151
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-11, 12:07 PM   #2
file

Disney XD is now available on channel 260 as part of the standard package.
Old 2012-01-20, 12:41 PM   #3
Columbus007
Rookie

Default Discovery HD?

Does anyone know when Aliant will upgrade some of the SD channels to HD? In particular, I'd really like to watch Discovery in HD (not Discovery World HD)...
Old 2012-01-20, 02:08 PM   #4
file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus007 View Post
Does anyone know when Aliant will upgrade some of the SD channels to HD? In particular, I'd really like to watch Discovery in HD (not Discovery World HD)...
Unfortunately until Bell Aliant knows for sure they don't announce this information. They also can't give a time frame because there is none. Both sides negotiate back and forth until a suitable arrangement is arrived at.
Old 2012-01-21, 12:09 PM   #5
Kramer

They are the absolute slowest provider to add new channels.
Old 2012-01-21, 12:12 PM   #6
file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
Unfortunately true, but they are also one of the smaller TV providers as well. They don't have the ability to say "Hey look, by not giving us a lower rate on this channel you are missing out on <huge number> of people" and negotiation takes longer. As I've said before they could certainly add channels faster, but at a much larger monetary cost to all of us.
Old 2012-01-21, 04:08 PM   #7
McPatrick

exactly. why do you think providers like bell TV sat raise there rates every year? because they end up adding 5-10 channels every year
Old 2012-01-21, 04:17 PM   #8
NO-CRTC

Well it seems to me that Aliant is raising their's a couple of times a year and not adding any more value to the package. If they had a decent marketing department, this wouldn't take so long.
Old 2012-01-21, 04:59 PM   #9
file

How would a 'decent marketing department' solve this problem?

As for your comment about adding value - additional channels have been added, just not the heavy hitter ones that people rave about probably because the upstream knows it and is holding out for more money that isn't feasible for Bell Aliant.
Old 2012-01-21, 05:10 PM   #10
Tridus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
People who converted from Rogers Atlantic may disagree with that.
Old 2012-01-22, 03:43 PM   #11
NO-CRTC

I was just chatting with an agent at Aliant, she claims AMC will be added in February, according to her "system". Let's hope.
Old 2012-01-22, 05:32 PM   #12
Danster

That's what they told me in December for January!
Old 2012-01-22, 06:29 PM   #13
NO-CRTC

LOL. And the wheels keep turning.
Old 2012-01-22, 07:19 PM   #14
NotoriousDRG

AMC was delayed because they could not come to an agreement before a blackout period (period when a content provider will not allow their stuff to be picked up by a tv provider.) at the end of the year. AMC wanted their channel exposed to a certain percent of Aliant's tv subscibers, that means Aliant will offer the channel in the premium movie pack, super channels and one of the movie theme ie movie 1 or movie 2. BTW we always like to blame the tv providers for price increases but part of the reason is content providers raising their prices.
Old 2012-01-24, 02:21 PM   #15
Wharfe

Now that I finally have the HD package it is very apparent how they really need to get on the ball with more channels.. I'd really like to have MUCH HD, HGTV HD... we don't even have Discovery HD!? Come on! Frustrating to have the "HD package" and still be forced to do so much SD viewing.
Closed Thread