Shaw Cable new channel discussion 2012 - Page 30 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-26, 12:40 PM   #436
bluboy01newwest

Default FX Canada

Like a lot of other people i too would like the option to subscribe to FX canada
and a few other services Shaw is not interested in offering. FX Hollywood Suite, TCM HD, CBC NEWSNETWORK HD, etc. It seems that most cable systems in the country carry these channels but not Shaw! Even tiny DELTA CABLE carries them for crying out loud, at least most of them ! Shaw is EXTREMELY slow at adding NEW channels, I am beginning to think the snailski`s from their ads a few years back actually took over the company!
Their Digital upgrade seems to be taking forever, my bill for movie central went up, yet i still don`t have access to MCHD2 or MCHD3! DOES ANYBODY REALLY NEED BNN IN HD?
WELCOME TO SHAW WHERE IT`S ALWAYS THE TWENTIETH CENTURY !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-26, 12:49 PM   #437
GamerGuy

More content is always a plus in my book.

CBC News HD would be first choice for a new channel. (Meaning included in "Best of HD" though.)
Old 2012-06-26, 01:27 PM   #438
MacOSXAddict

^ I have to agree, Shaw has been really really slow on adding new HD channels. I will give them credit for adding Discovery HD, Bravo HD, Space HD, and Animal Planet HD, but that is probably the one exception.

CBC News Network HD should have been added LONG ago. If it does get added, it should be placed in Legacy Basic and Personal TV, since CBC NN SD is already in legacy basic and personal TV and is offered as a basic channel on all of Shaw's competitors channel lists.
Old 2012-06-26, 05:18 PM   #439
Zod

Actually its the 21st century. There's a big war while cableco's buy up channels in the Canadian market and then harass their competition for steep carriage requirements (both fees and carriage restrictions. IE it needs to be in this package, or it can't be offered in an HD only package).

The 21st century is all about carriage terms (as tv channels are getting less revenue from advertising). I'd rather have Shaw take their time and negotiate for better carriage terms. If they jump on them for whatever the competition is selling them for, we're the ones that end up getting hosed.

I know this doesn't cover all channels (like cbc newsworld) but most of the channels that haven't been added aren't owned by Shaw.
Old 2012-06-26, 05:38 PM   #440
Distant Signal

Fair point. But that doesn't explain the failure to bring us CBC News HD. Anyone know? I start to wonder if the answer is political, rather than business/economic or technical.
Old 2012-06-26, 05:39 PM   #441
Legend4Eva

The issue with Shaw is even if brand new channels were approved and launched Shaw would still be the last to add them. It really is sad that they claim to be this great network and company and are so slow to add anything of significance.

Who would have thought - A cable company adding new channels
Old 2012-06-26, 05:58 PM   #442
candyapplered

Default It's the 21century add real hd channels

I agree with above comments. Shaw seems to me they add light wait HD channels and don't really care what the customers want.ADD CBCNN already.when i bought my gateway in November i was told they would be finishing there upgrade in summer of 2012 and adding many news HD channels but it's July and there still 20 to 30 channels behind bell or telus and also HD time shifting department.
Old 2012-06-26, 06:17 PM   #443
MacOSXAddict

The CBC NN HD carriage fee can't be the big determining factor as this channel is financed by taxpayers and the CBC does not have a whole bunch of high demand specialty channels to even play hardball, like Bell Media or Rogers can do.

Lack of bandwidth was probably the main problem, before the DNU (for certain areas) but Shaw has added HD channels like Animal Planet HD, Sportsnet World HD, and other MC2 & 3 HD channels, which require the DNU.

Plain and simple, there is no excuse anymore on why CBC NN HD has not been added. This is a basic channel, all your competition offers it, and you can tell CBC NN broadcasts in all HD now because the SD channel has the 16:9 ratio scaled in the 4:3 box.

Come on Shaw, get your act together already!
Old 2012-06-26, 10:32 PM   #444
s40

Aren't they going to add a 24 news channel run by Global later this summer? That might explain the lack of CBCNN HD. I would prefer the CBC option to Global by far.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:20 PM   #445
MacOSXAddict

^ Shaw is coming out with a Global news channel, but I think it might be just for BC from what my memory recalls.

On a side note, Bell has their own CTV News Channel and they still have CBC NN HD in their channel offerings for Bell TV customers. So no excuse for Shaw, despite them coming out with their own news channel.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:49 PM   #446
mike10

the Global BC news channel still has not been approved by the CRTC
Old 2012-06-27, 01:25 AM   #447
ShawViewer

if that Global BC 24/7 news channel ever gets approved i do wonder what the conditions will be set by the CRTC.
Old 2012-06-28, 06:17 PM   #448
sweetestbaby

What channel is Comedy Gold? (Shaw site mentions a free preview).
Old 2012-06-28, 06:36 PM   #449
ShawViewer

I can't find that channel either. I looked all over.
Old 2012-06-28, 06:49 PM   #450
Distant Signal

Maybe there are plans. Shaw isn't listed on the Subscriber page if Comedy Gold. Funny they would offer a free preview before they actually have the channel. Maybe, after several years of requests, we get CBC NN too (and many other still missing HD channels. Unfortunately Comedy Gold seems only to be SD.
Closed Thread