Unable to access Harmony remote software - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2011-12-28, 01:42 PM   #1
Tezster
Veteran

Question Unable to access Harmony remote software

Anyone else getting the error above when launching the Harmony Remote software?
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-28, 01:50 PM   #2
NeilN
Veteran

Yes, got that yesterday. Was fine when I tried again ten minutes later, didn't work an hour later, and was fine again late last night.
Old 2011-12-28, 02:19 PM   #3
Tezster
Veteran

I haven't been able to get in all day (It's the first time I've run across it). I'll take a break and try again tonight.
Old 2011-12-28, 03:01 PM   #4
NeilN
Veteran

I got in. When closing the application, make sure it's actually shut down and not hanging about in the notification tray.
Old 2011-12-28, 11:23 PM   #5
ChannelMaster

Wow! Never got this message before! Does this mean too many people are logged into the Logitech IR database? That must ring i to sounds of joy over at their belgium head office!!!
Old 2011-12-28, 11:42 PM   #6
ScaryBob
Veteran

I've seen the same thing this time of year before. It's due to lots of people programming their new remotes but not enough capacity on the servers. Once the new remotes are all programmed, the load will level off.

This does point out one major problem with Harmony remotes. It Logitech's servers disappear, there will be millions of people with no way to reprogram their remotes. I would prefer a stand alone program but using a central server probably meets Logitech's purposes better.
Old 2011-12-29, 01:22 AM   #7
Tezster
Veteran

I did finally connect earlier this evening, although making changes to my devices and Activities seemed to take longer than usual. I also noticed the e-mail form via the Support link within the software isn't working.
Old 2011-12-29, 07:24 AM   #8
vmpv

Scary is right about the new remotes but it's also a lot of the existing remotes being updated for all the other new toys one gets at Christmas.
Old 2011-12-29, 08:08 AM   #9
CamDAB

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)

^^^^^^^^And as new toys get added to the database, the database gets forever larger.... :-)

Cameron
Old 2011-12-29, 11:12 AM   #10
ChannelMaster

True... But if push comes to shove and the Logitech servers were to do down for good, you could still tech IR codes to the remote and remap away...

Ah forget what I just wrote, you still need to log in and park the remote in their online wizard for recording... And so we'd be screwed! In the end, the old Marantz RM2000 MKII really was a good little thingie.
Old 2012-01-24, 12:36 PM   #11
courtenay
Rookie

Default Junk

Ok, so everybody should have programmed their christmas toys by now, shouldn't they? I won a Harmony 600 remote in a curling bonspiel this past weekend and used the Harmony website to set the thing up - only to get to the "sync" screen and be told that it won't sync and then having the whole thing lock up. I've tried to get through this thing both on my Mac and PC running windows 7 with no joy.
And the real rub is that the 600 is too light to even be of use as a boat anchor.
I worked real damn hard in the bonspiel as well!!
Old 2012-01-24, 04:46 PM   #12
ScaryBob
Veteran

The software is rather buggy. One thing I ran into recently is that if the TEMP directory is moved the software will not install and already installed software will randomly stop responding. That's something I would expect in a one of program written by a novice, not a professionally written piece of commercial software. So now my TEMP directory is back on the space limited SSD instead of the large conventional drive, which is more suited for temporary installation files.
Old 2012-01-24, 06:43 PM   #13
vmpv

Not sure if this is still the case (I rather doubt it) but when I bought my H-One when they came out a complaint was a lot of people experienced problems trying to update via a laptop. Something about the voltage being provided by the usb port being insufficient I seem to recall... Doesn't like hubs either
Old 2012-01-25, 06:32 PM   #14
courtenay
Rookie

Got my 600 sync'd. Set up a new account using a different email address, went through the set up process again and it synced OK. Now I have 2 accounts - one useless and one working. Seems like an odd way to run a technology business!
Old 2012-01-25, 07:56 PM   #15
CamDAB

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)

Having one remote per e-mail is kind of myopic thinking as we have two, the Harmony One and a Harmony 520. Currently using the One. Will be setting up the 520 at a later time for other equipment in another room.

Cameron