why do Cogeco's DVR's keep crapping out? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2011-12-18, 06:43 AM   #1
armadillo
Rookie

Default why do Cogeco's DVR's keep crapping out?

I've gone through 3 Motorola DVR's and now on my fourth Pace DVR in the last year, and I'm getting sick and tired of replacing these damn boxes every few weeks or months. Cogeco has sent out service guys twice and my line in seems to be fine. They have no explanation, so I keep going through this ridiculous cycle. Unfortunately, each time I replace the box I lose all my recordings.

I'm wondering if I can back up my recordings through the USB port on the back of the Pace box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-18, 08:47 AM   #2
sailmaker

I am disappointed to read that Motorola DVR's are going south. We have a Pace 777D which was the first Pace model that Cogeco issued, replacing Motorola. They have since gone back to Motorola as well as a different Pace model (200N?). I have often gotten up in the middle of the night to pull the power cord on the Pace box in our bedroom. It never stops churning. Sounds like a circus in there. Tickity, tickity, tickity.... Why does a hard drive have to be turning 24/7? How much upgrading is going on?

I was going to take it back to the store front in Burlington Mall but just like you we would lose any recordings, programming etc. I was going to insist on a Motorola but now you have me wondering. sailmaker
Old 2011-12-18, 09:46 AM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Whenever someone goes through so many STBs it's not the STB's fault. There is something in your installation that is causing the problem - low signal, poor ventillation, etc. It's simply not possible to have so many bad STBs.

You don't say what the actual problem is that you're encountering. And no, you cannot use the USB for backup.

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2012-03-08, 03:58 PM   #4
ozz

Default Pace PVR's - Poor

I can tell you that yes people are going through these things like butter as they are junk. I am on my 4th and the drop-outs in audio and video keep occurring. The non PVR Motorola in my den is fine with audio and video.

Cogeco's answer - set out a tech - tech comes out and hooks up his Fluke meter and says yep signal is good, get a new box!

Cogeco is incapable of delving into the problem. they need to get after Pace in Florida and kick some butt.

Ventilation is not the issue as long as you keep the vents free so please don't use that as an excuse. Mine is on top of everything else and is on a UPS as well.

As for the frustration of having a new box several times a year you loose all your set-up, you know what if I turned off my computer and lost my settings I would go crazy, oh wait I am going crazy with these things!

Good thing I did not buy this thing.
Old 2012-03-08, 04:13 PM   #5

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

These sorts of discussions occur in almost every provider forum here. In the end the person who's going through STBs like a hot knife through butter finally finds out the real problem at their home. We see it time and time again. In the Shaw Direct forum several people went through 5-10 STBs but in the end found out that one of their cables from the dish was bad or poorly connected, etc.

Perhaps you could try switching the PVR to your den temporarily to see if it works properly there. You could also try the Den STB in your PVR's location temporarily. Sometimes it's as simple as a poor connection in the RF-coax from the wall to the STB/PVR, or a bad upstream splitter.

Intermittent issues can be especially difficult to find - for example poor connections due to wind or temperature differences, etc. Also different STBs can require different signal levels to properly "lock" onto a signal. Just because one STB in your home is working properly doesn't mean that the PVR (which may require more signal) will work properly.

The techs who come to your home often don't wish to spend a lot of time diagnosing (unless you get a really good one), so if he sees an "adequate" signal, he'll swap the box to make you "happy" but it doesn't solve the real problem as you've found out.
Old 2012-03-08, 05:06 PM   #6
ozz

From a customers point of view, lets say there are other issues like a splitter or a connection, freeze, thaw issues that is causing audio or video dropouts.

I pay for a service and its up to Cogeco to resolve it, not the customer.
Old 2012-03-08, 05:16 PM   #7

Agree totally, however, after several visits and several STBs, one needs to get "more involved" than simply swapping out STBs or complaining about the STBs. After all it's wasting your time.

Or switch providers - but each provider has positives and negatives.

Edit - Just as an aside, here's how involved I needed to get to resolve an intermittent problem at my home - all of my neighbours were sitting on their hands putting up with a poor signal - not even calling in.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...ch#post1334131
Old 2012-03-08, 05:30 PM   #8
ozz

Again I say Cogeco they are responsible, period, as far as I am concerned most companies expect the customers to try different things, why is this you ask.

I am a retired network engineer so I know a few things, for example I have removed all the splitters and direct connected the main cable to the multiple PVR's I have been graced with over time with to no avail.

Normally the tech will cut the end off and redo the connector to no avail. I have even cut the connector off myself and replaced it with the best a Thomas and Betts weatherproof connector, I have the professional tools for this to no avail.

I have quite an extensive list of troubleshooting strategies that most customers would not do so I think I have done my part.

Oh by the way, I was supposed to have a service call visit yesterday between the hours of 11am and 2 pm and no one showed. I wasted my time taking time off.

Then when I inquired I was told by e-mail that they checked the techs logs and said he tried to call and there was no answer, no car in driveway and that he tagged the doors.

Well I was home and he may have called as I may have been outside, but he left no message on the answering machine, and no tags on any of the doors, so untruths come to mind.

I e-mailed Cogeco back and asked for a manager to call me, they said I had to call in through their voice mail jail again and make another appt.

A customer they do not value so another e-mail was sent and we shall see if they value me as a customer.

If not - goodbye cable TV