Bell home phone constant outages. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Canada Home Phone and Internet

Old 2011-12-16, 08:52 PM   #1
ellins

Default Bell home phone constant outages.

I have posted previously re these ongoing and frequent problems.

On the phone, I get no dial tone and the signal on the screen says "check line". There is no problem with the phone line, as I check the connections and everything. In every case this happens, it is raining or the weather is damp. The outages last as long as the weather is wet and in a few days, the phone suddenly works again. Of course, this is a major problem for me, to be without service for long periods. The odd thing is that I am on DSL for internet on the same service line to the house and the computer works (except the internet speed is pathetically slow, which is a separate problem I have elaborated on separately). I have had technicians here many times and I still have the same problems with the outages and the slow internet. T

I will be switching (from Shaw) to Bell Fibe TV and Bell Fibe internet in a month or so, in the hope that the complete new installations will improve my internet. I then plan on using a cell phone to replace the land phone, to get around the phone outages.

I have some reservations whether the internet will improve, because as I know it, I will still be on antiquated and dilapidated overhead copper lines in my area and within my house, which I may be mistaken but which is causing my current problems. My area is very old and poor area, and the infrastructure has never been updated. My house was built in 1947. At least the installation will thoroughly check and disclose any inadequate infrastructure. I do not believe that Bell will ever think of replacing dilapidated overhead lines in the whole area serving my house. I would think that it will be a trade-off in TV reception and service in switching from Shaw to Bell Fibe.

Any observations and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

Last edited by ellins; 2011-12-16 at 08:53 PM. Reason: reworded for clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-17, 12:06 AM   #2
Macman

Sorry to hear of your problems. Out here, MTS will not install their TV service if the aerial telephone wire is the old "style B" which is the really old stuff that is only a single pair that isn't twisted.

My guess is it is still an outside problem. They probably wouldn't need to replace the whole cable beyond your drop from the pole. But they might have to switch you to another pair of wires. Regular phone service is the most reliable, as long as the "outside plant" is maintained.

Not sure what it's like out there, but before competition came in here, the phone company was required by the CRTC to fix telephone service within 24 hrs or face fines, I believe.

Anyway, good techs won't just guess, they will test the line and check everything. If the drop is bad, they can't just leave it.

good luck