harmony 880 remote & shaw digital box - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2011-12-13, 02:03 PM   #1
bubba622
Rookie

Default harmony 880 remote & shaw digital box

Until yesterday things were fine with my, admittedly "not the very latest in technology home theater"...shaw cable, here in edmonton, has deemed it necessary for me to install a digital cable box (DCT700) to my system, which comes with its own behemoth of a remote. Yesterday i was able to DO EVERYTHING from 1 single remote, today, after many hours of trying to get one remote to learn another , i fear that i will be digressing back to having to use 2 remotes for certain tasks. I have made numerous attempts at the learning procedure, check the button to be learned, click on learn, hook up harmony to USB, place orig remote at back of harmony remote, push & hold desired learning button (for various lengths of time, only to be told that there is a weak infrared signal adjust the distance & try again...does anybody have any advice as far as getting this working...much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-13, 02:06 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
place orig remote at back of harmony
The remotes should be "nose to nose" facing each other a couple of inches apart. You should press the buttons a normal amount of time - not too long, not too short. However, there should be no reason for this "learning" since the DCT700 should be somewhere in the Harmony database and you should be able to incorporate it into your activity.
Old 2011-12-13, 02:19 PM   #3
bubba622
Rookie

Default as per the harmony diagram

i will attempt as you suggest, however, the harmony software diagram clearly shows the USB cable at the top of the 880 remote and the "original" remote facing the bottom of the harmony...i will let you know shortly...
Old 2011-12-13, 02:28 PM   #4
bubba622
Rookie

I tried as suggested nose to nose, no reaction whatsoever...you suggest that the DCT700 should be somewhere in the Harmony database and you should be able to incorporate it into your activity. I would agree however there are only 21 functions appearing on my 880 device menu, i guess there are probably 20 or 30 more that are required. Hence the IR learning mode.
Old 2011-12-13, 07:34 PM   #5
Bplayer

The IR reader on the Harmony for learning is at the bottom. Make sure that you have fresh batteries in the both remotes. It is strange that you should have to learn that many additional codes. Have you looked at all pages?
Old 2011-12-14, 02:43 PM   #6
jlet
Veteran

Also remember, in Device mode, the commands that are pre-mapped to the hard keys will not show up in the device screen (like Rewind, Play, FastForward, Record, Pause, Stop, etc.). The best way to see all the available commands is by looking at the pull-down menu when you map a button using the Device or Activity Customize Buttons.