Why does Telus 3G/4G in Calgary suck so bad - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus Mobility and Koodo Wireless

Old 2011-12-12, 04:20 PM   #1
Vocalpoint
Rookie

Default Why does Telus 3G/4G in Calgary suck so bad

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S in June and I must say - unless I am standing right next to my home router using wifi - this phone has to be the worst I have ever seen for getting any "bars" AT ALL in the real world.

It's gotten so lame that I now know when to just stop looking at my phone when I take transit home after work each day (taking Center Street North) - I know exactly when my signal will completely disappear while folks using iPhones and every other known brand of smartphone ever made (Some most certainly on Telus) continue to clack and click away like nothing is wrong.

Anyone else in Calgary having the same? Also - have been running Speedtest at various time in the last week or so during the day when on 3g/4g I get stellar results like:

0.09mbps
0.57mpbs
0.17mpbs

But when wifi enabled

10.60mbps
7.45mpbs
11.04mbps

What the heck is the deal? Is it the phone or the network or both?

VP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-12, 04:37 PM   #2
jshel101
Veteran

I have problems in downtown Calgary with voice and data connectivity on my iPhone. I called Telus and the CSR I spoke with said that there are problems with over-saturation of the Telus network for the past 8 or 9 months, especially in the downtown core. He mentioned that new towers are coming online in the next few weeks. But he also said that more and more people are using smartphone which is eating up the available bandwidth of new towers when they come online. Hopefully it gets better soon, not sure what to do if it doesn't.
Old 2011-12-12, 04:50 PM   #3
Vocalpoint
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
I have problems in downtown Calgary with voice and data connectivity on my iPhone. I called Telus and the CSR I spoke with said that there are problems with over-saturation of the Telus network for the past 8 or 9 months, especially in the downtown core. He mentioned that new towers are coming online in the next few weeks. But he also said that more and more people are using smartphone which is eating up the available bandwidth of new towers when they come online. Hopefully it gets better soon, not sure what to do if it doesn't.
jshel,

Thanks...nice to know I am not the only one. One has to wonder just what the hell these guys are thinking tho - I will bet that Telus has no problem taking all the money they can possible get from unsuspecting morons who think they are buying a phone and a plan that will actually allow them to use their phone - outside of their house.

What's the point of a mobility company if there is no mobility? Espeically in downtown Calgary - doesn't take a wizard to realize that on any given day there may be a few folks using smartphones or iPads in the vicinity.

VP