Trial Shaw's new Wifi network and enter our contest to win (contest over) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2011-12-07, 04:38 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Trial Shaw's new Wifi network and enter our contest to win (contest over)

As reported yesterday on Digital Home, Shaw has just launched their WiFi trial in locations in Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton. I have been speaking with the Shaw team and they’re very excited about their new Shaw WiFi network.

They’d really like for Digital Home members to test out the new service and provide feedback on the experience so they can continue to make improvements before they fully launch.

Thanks to Digital Home's partnership with Shaw, they’ve agreed to award an iPad 2 that will be exclusively awarded to a member of the Digital Forum.

To enter, all you have to do is complete a short survey after trying out the Shaw WiFi trial and you’ll be entered to win.

To find out where the Shaw WiFi trial locations are, go to www.shaw.ca/WiFi.

Contest Dates: December 6th to January 16th.

The draw will be held following the contest close so make sure you complete the survey by January 16th.

See the attached .pdf for complete rules and regulations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-07, 04:39 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Please note you must be a Digital Forum member in good standing to have a chance to win.
Old 2011-12-07, 05:07 PM   #3
jshel101
Veteran

I completed the survey, but I am curious how they are confirming that we are Digital Home members? I didn't have to enter in any of my DHC member information in the survey. Is this something that we have to provide if our name is drawn?
Old 2011-12-07, 05:08 PM   #4
hugh
Member #1

Use email address found on your membership for the survey.

I also encourage members to get others to fill out the survey even if they don't want to enter the contest. Shaw has told me this type of information is really going to help them get important feedback on the new Wifi Network.
Old 2011-12-07, 07:17 PM   #5
Camera.Ken

Default A Little Ooopsie

Went out today and tried out the network -- but it would not let me join the trial with my DHC-registered e-mail address. The sign-on application requires 4 characters, and my DHC-registered address is only 3.

Otherwise, the wifi hot spot worked fine.
Old 2011-12-08, 12:38 AM   #6
tux

I'd love to join the trial, and enter to win, but I doubt that they'll extend the trial to Winnipeg by January 16.
Old 2011-12-08, 01:55 AM   #7
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

According to the Shaw website, you have to have a Shaw email account. I was downtown this evening but I guess I was a block too far away from the nearest hot spot as I couldn't even pick it up with my new smart phone.
Old 2011-12-08, 07:22 AM   #8
hugh
Member #1

You have to use your Shaw Email address for Wifi. Use your Digital Home email for the contest.
Old 2011-12-08, 03:38 PM   #9

I tried it out today in Calgary using HTC Android phone. Didn't have any problems logging into ShawSecure network (didn't try ShawOpen). Once connected to network, opened browser and used my Shaw email and password to log in.

speedtest.net measured 4370kbps upload and 406kbps download, with 64ms ping. Very decent for the purpose. Completed survey using my Digital Home registered email. That means you should abandon any hope - iPad 2 is mine.
Old 2011-12-08, 07:20 PM   #10
hugh
Member #1

Guys, only 9 entries so far means a good chance at winning.
Old 2011-12-09, 10:13 AM   #11
jshel101
Veteran

Hopefully my email address is part of the 9 entries.
Old 2011-12-09, 11:51 PM   #12
gslvanbc

Smile Trial at the Olympic Torch area in Vancouver

Signon was easy after connecting onto the ShawOpen network. Took a bit of scanning before being able to find the network as coverage wasn't as good as indicated on the map. I wasn't able to pick up from inside the Convention Centre. Maybe it was my tablet or the Convention Centre Wifi interference.

Good signal when closer to the Olympic torch outside.

Speedtest several times.

Best speed was 5900kbps down and 3000 kbps up ping 49ms
Average was about 4000kbps down and 2000 kbps up ping 50 ms
Old 2011-12-10, 02:22 PM   #13
cent.smith
Rookie

Default Just a thought

I understand that this Shaw WiFi would only cover high traffic public areas like malls, etc. and this is Shaw's hope that this will get people to drop their phone's data plan and join their BB50/100.

If that is true, Shaw is on the wrong path. They should cover residential areas too.

For me, I don't stay in the Mall, etc all the time. If I go out, I will go with friends to a restaurant, have dinner and then go to their house and watch the Canucks, etc. If there is no connection in the restaurant, at my friend's, or any non-public places, I am not going to drop my phone's data plan and have the BB50/100.
Old 2011-12-10, 06:06 PM   #14

Moreover, I see large number of people in Calgary public transport (both C-Train and buses) using their devices while commuting for email, browsing, etc. I really don't know how Shaw can cover so many roads with this approach. Phone data plan is still going to be needed.
Old 2011-12-12, 03:03 PM   #15
shawsean

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great feedback so far. We're currently sitting at 21 completed surveys, so this is still the best odds I've ever seen on an ipad2 give away . For those of you who haven't submitted your feedback yet, the contest closes January 16.

As for coverage, this is only our initial trial release, so coverage is very limited to the designated areas. We're looking at adding many more access spots and are in discussions with various municipalities. One potential area we're looking at covering is public transit, so when you're commuting our WiFi will be readily available.

Please keep the submissions and feedback coming!

Cheers.