Shaw Friends: Loyalty reward program - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2012-03-07, 01:37 PM   #136
tux

I have a suggestion for a possible Shaw Friends reward.

Shaw Friends is supposed to reward customers for staying with Shaw, and a big beef of long-term Shaw customers is that the hardware quickly becomes obsolete, and Shaw forces you to re-invest in brand new hardware every few years so that you can continue to receive new channels, access VOD, and the like.

Although I have suggested that Shaw include a warranty vs obsolescence in their Shaw Friends rewards, I think this is unlikely to happen, since hardware sales are too much of a cash cow for Shaw.

As an alternative, though, I'd like to suggest that Shaw offer something like the "tab" offered by cell phone companies. The phone companies' "tab" offers apply a portion (usually 10%) of your cumulative service costs as a credit towards the purchase of new hardware. So, if your plan is $50/mo, you get $5/mo applied towards a new phone purchase. Shaw could do the same thing - a portion of your Shaw bill would accumulate as an equipment credit towards new hardware. If you're paying $100/mo for services, you'd be paying $3600 over 3 years, and at the end of the 3 years you'd have $360 equipment credit - enough for a new PVR, allowing you to take advantage of the latest technologies.

This would treat existing customers more fairly regarding equipment offers (since new customers often get "free PVR rental 3 years and then it's yours to keep"). It's also the sort of reward that management might like - it encourages people to become long-term, loyal customers, and high-revenue customers are rewarded more than Basic customers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-08, 06:37 PM   #137
Zod

I was always under the impression the cable boxes weren't cheap to begin with. IE there's only a few companies that make them, so there's not alot of competition, so they can be quite expensive for cable companies to buy.

Now that thats out of the way. I think your idea is pretty good. The last thing they want to do is give boxes away to people that bail. Shaw doesn't seem keen on the contract route like telus (where telus wants you to stay for a few years so the can subsidize the box). I think the TAB program would work.

Allthough it seems pretty similar to shaws credit program. IE you can use a 3rd party company through show to give you a loan for the box. Then you pay monthly installments on your bill to cover the loan (IE spread the cost of the box over certain months).

The only difference between the two is probably that one gets included in the monthly fees and the other is in additional to your monthly fees.

It could cost shaw money. It'd be like phones. I'd just ask for a new box because I could (assuming I wasn't already on a tab). Shaw would probably end up issuing more boxes.
Old 2012-03-08, 07:06 PM   #138
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Shaw doesn't use a 'third party' with their financing any more. I believe it is all done in house. They have to pay the manufacturer for the boxes anyway so there is no additional cost to Shaw if they spread the payment for the equipment over the three years. There is a loss of 'interest' that could be earned on having that money all up front but they would just blow it on executive bonuses anyway so they are doing us customers a favour by offering the 'no cost' financing option.
Old 2012-03-16, 03:16 PM   #139
RobBob

Default What Loyalty

I have been a loyal Shaw customer for 30 years and just because I "ONLY" subscribe to one service, I am denied access to this program.

Also remember that Gateway users pay full price for the hardware as there is no subsidy available.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:13 PM   #140
verd

@RobBob this program is not a 'loyalty' program. Although the title of this thread indicates that it is, and although some Shaw reps have referred to it as such, all they've really done is taken bundle bonuses and made people fill out an online form to get them to make it look like it's something extra. There's nothing here that provides a reward for being a customer over time -- you can get all of the 'rewards' immediately upon signing up for a bundle. We're all waiting for real loyalty rewards to be introduced.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:09 PM   #141
1234greg
Rookie

Don't hold your breath waiting for real loyalty rewards!
Old 2012-03-16, 07:12 PM   #142
MetroVan

Has anyone checked out their Internet usage lately and noticed that the green "Included Usage" line on the graph still shows the regular limit? I have yet to see it bumped up to include the extra GBs for being a Shaw Friend. I'm assuming that the extra GBs has indeed been added to my usage limit, but it's just not reflected on the graph.
Old 2012-03-16, 07:59 PM   #143
verd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234greg View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for real loyalty rewards!
'Til my face turns blue! And not just a pale baby-style blue either, but a deep, dark, ocean blue.
Old 2012-03-16, 08:09 PM   #144
meshmellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroVan View Post
Has anyone checked out their Internet usage lately
Could you give the URL for that? I've never seen it.

meshmellow
Old 2012-03-16, 08:16 PM   #145
DSgamby
Veteran

It is in your Shaw Account.

In the Internet section.

https://signon.shaw.ca/?application=...CustomerCentre
Old 2012-03-16, 11:35 PM   #146
phantom76

Since this great Loyalty program was launched has anyone gotten any of these great offers in their mailbox?
Old 2012-03-16, 11:48 PM   #147
jorton

From the small print at the bottom of the Friends page,

Quote:
Ongoing benefits

Shaw Friends will be eligible for ongoing additional benefits, rewards and discounts. Notifications will be sent to your current Shaw Friends email address and details of the rewards and method of redemption will be provided at that time.
Nothing in my mail other than the two contests we were automatically entered in.

Given all of the pricing and bundle changes and the big EXO rebranding recently looks like this may be on hold while things settle down a bit.
Old 2012-03-17, 02:25 PM   #148
meshmellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
It is in your Shaw Account.

In the Internet section.

https://signon.shaw.ca/?application=...CustomerCentre
Thanks. Found it.

meshmellow
Old 2012-03-25, 11:58 AM   #149
dscott01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
I was always under the impression the cable boxes weren't cheap to begin with. IE there's only a few companies that make them, so there's not alot of competition, so they can be quite expensive for cable companies to buy.

Now that thats out of the way. I think your idea is pretty good. The last thing they want to do is give boxes away to people that bail. Shaw doesn't seem keen on the contract route like telus (where telus wants you to stay for a few years so the can subsidize the box). I think the TAB program would work.

Allthough it seems pretty similar to shaws credit program. IE you can use a 3rd party company through show to give you a loan for the box. Then you pay monthly installments on your bill to cover the loan (IE spread the cost of the box over certain months).

The only difference between the two is probably that one gets included in the monthly fees and the other is in additional to your monthly fees.

It could cost shaw money. It'd be like phones. I'd just ask for a new box because I could (assuming I wasn't already on a tab). Shaw would probably end up issuing more boxes.
Shaw uses a reverse contract. If customer doesn't want to pay upfront for hardware they can use the easy pay plan. If a customer has ordered the gateway system with 3 or 4 portals the total price is around $500 or so which is paid monthly over 3 years. If the service is cancelled, Shaw wants the remainder of the balance paid immediately.

How is that any different than a 3 year contract?
Old 2012-04-05, 06:42 PM   #150
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

First 'email' for Shaw friends sent out today. Here's a link to view it online if you didn't get a notice: Issue #1