Galaxy Nexus Reviews - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-11-25, 10:09 AM   #16
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Eluder, what do you use for a case for carrying around a beast that big?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-25, 10:42 AM   #17
TorontoColin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
Thought the release date was in Dec??

Cheers
It's already been available in Europe for a while, and if you're willing to pay for the luxury you can get it imported.
Old 2011-11-25, 12:04 PM   #18
eimaj

It looks to be a fantastic phone but it is missing a few key features that will keep me from upgrading from my Nexus S. Yes I know the GN is a better phone, but the missing features will keep me away until the next Nexus, unless that one is missing key features that should be mandatory at the time, then I might move from the Nexus line to get better features at the expense of faster updates.

The biggest one is no LTE capability here in Canada. I found it hard to believe that they went without this or even the dual band hsdpa+ to give it up to 42 mbps download. The other is no Exynos SoC. Why would they move away from that processor? It is still (from a benchmark perspective) the best SoC out there for Android. Especially if they were not going to upgrade the hsdpa download speeds, there should have been no reason to move away from it. A higher clocked, optimized version of this processor would have been amazing! And to a lesser extent, the camera seems a little weak for what is supposed to be Googles flagship phone. Many of the reviews are saying they sacrificed picture quality for shutter speed, which is not a huge deal, but why be behind the Galaxy SII when they could have just improved that camera for this phone.
Old 2011-11-25, 12:21 PM   #19
TorontoColin

There isn't a market for an LTE variant with HSPA fallback. Like Bell and Rogers, AT&T is only beginning to roll out LTE and has an extremely limited footprint. By the time that network is significant enough to equate to major sales, it will be time for a new Nexus anyway. IF AT&T had wanted it, we'd have an LTE variant in Canada, but they're not going to make one just for Canada's minuscule LTE market. In the meantime, HSPA provides significantly better battery life in a thinner device, and it works for everyone.

They went with the OMAP because TI made the best bid for being the reference chipset. It's not all to do with power, product support and battery life are important too.

Remember that because these are developer reference phones, Google needs to use reliable, trustworthy hardware. Anytime you release the absolute bleeding edge latest and greatest you risk significant product delays due to unforeseen issues, and hardware problems nobody has encountered because nobody has any experience with the hardware.

While they don't want to be behind the curve either, you're not likely to see a Nexus that blows away everyone else because they don't want to take too much of a risk with such an important device.
Old 2011-11-26, 01:15 PM   #20
eimaj

The market is not here yet for lte. But neither is there a market for nfc, but they decided to include that in the GN as well as its predecessor, the NS. All I am asking is for a little hardware future proofing.

I find it odd that an outside company like Texas Instruments could do a cheaper and better job than Samsung's own in house proprietary tech such as the Exynos SoC with the Mali graphics chip, which has been out for a while now and is a proven commodity, but maybe they can.

I agree that bleeding edge may cause issues with reliability and cost, but how about cutting edge? Be ahead of the curve at least like the N1 was. The NS was behind the curve when it came out as all it ended up being was an unlocked Galaxy S with no bloatware, and the GN is not even that. The only advantage it seems to have from the reviews I have read is ICS and the first hd screen. Other than that, it is a run of the mill dual core phone. It would be nice if it was more hardware future proof than just software optimized. I was going to wait for the GN before my other phone died, but now that I have read what it is and that there are other phones that are hardware superior and getting ICS soon (either by official or custom rom), I don't think I would have went with it.
Old 2011-11-26, 01:28 PM   #21
rsambuca
Veteran

When Google made the Nexus One, it was partly because they weren't happy with the state of the smartphone market, and wanted to showcase what was possible with both smartphones and the Android OS. Since that time, the phone manufacturers have pretty much jumped in and our now continually pushing forward the industry, so there isn't as much need for Google to try and outdo what is out there. The Nexus line is now more or less just a pure Android developer phone, which is desireable in its own right for some.
Old 2011-11-26, 01:55 PM   #22
TorontoColin

NFC is incredibly cheap to implement and is not detrimental to the phone if not used. Additionally, in order to make NFC functionality popular, manufacturers need to start including it in hardware now. It will only start being used when lots of people have it.

LTE on the other hand is more costly to include, and, more importantly, is detrimental to the device. It is generally merciless on battery life, and it makes the phone thicker and heavier. Given that most potential users can't access LTE networks, and only some of those who can are likely to even want to, it just doesn't make sense to make an LTE version for those with HSPA+ access. Even though I live within Bell and Rogers' LTE coverage, if you offered me the choice of an HSPA+ only version or an LTE/HSPA+ version, I'd take the HSPA+ version every time.

I would imagine TI is taking a loss on Galaxy Nexus chipsets in order to make their chipset the reference design for ICS. I guess Samsung didn't want or need to match them. As for the camera, I can only guess that Google and Samsung couldn't get the results they desired from the 8MP camera Samsung used in the GSII when they attempted to eliminate shutter lag.

A lot of people dismissed the Nexus S for the same reasons, it just wasn't cutting edge enough. Yet here we are a year later and the Nexus S is about to get ICS, while the GSII variants will wait and the original Galaxy S variants seem like an afterthought to all but the mod community. This time next year, I'll bet that the Galaxy Nexus will be about to get the newest version of Android while the GSII variants will be an afterthought to the GSIII.
Old 2011-11-26, 02:24 PM   #23
audacity
Veteran

From a developer perspective, not having LTE isn't a big deal, because your network code doesn't change whether your using a faster (4G) or slower (3G) network.

If a developer didn't have devices that supported NFC on the other hand, it would be rather difficult to write applications that use NFC (which is what everyone wants developers to do).

So, I think that is a pretty solid argument to put NFC in "developer phones", and why LTE isn't nearly as important.
Old 2011-11-26, 05:53 PM   #24
BGY11
Veteran

While these are good points, I'm also beginning to wonder if Google signed an exclusivity agreement with Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus. If so, it would definitely explain why the only LTE-capable model has a CDMA radio and not an HSPA one.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:14 PM   #25
eimaj

What the new Nexus should have had inside it (or should have been)...http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/11/28/sa...comment-177369
Old 2012-01-06, 11:59 AM   #26
eimaj

I was checking out this phone the other day and while it is nice, other than a little bit buggy version of ICS at the moment (they are already at 4.0.3 after a month and it still isn’t working totally properly, not compatible with many apps) and an hd samoled screen, it is actually behind (hardware wise) many of the dual core phones that are out today. It has a lesser camera than almost any recent dual core release, an average 1.2 ghz dual core processor (NOT EVEN EXYNOS!!!), an older graphics chip, no lte or telus dual band hspa support, no sd card support and no mass usb support. This phone is behind the curve almost everywhere except the screen and the os.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:30 PM   #27
audacity
Veteran

eimaj,

One critical feature that you left out (well, it was critical to me) is that it is a pentaband phone that supports every cellphone network in Canada. My contract with Bell is coming to an end in ~9 months, and my plan is to move to a discount carrier at that time. Not many phones can do this.

Sure, the Galaxy Nexus isn't the best phone in many respects - but you can make that statement about every other phone in the market.
Old 2012-01-06, 01:00 PM   #28
jvincent

My only concern with the GN is that several reviews I have read say the phone just doesn't feel as solid as the N1 and some other phones.

This has me leaning towards the RAZR as my next phone. Once Rogers has the GN available I'll wander over to a Rogers store and check both of them out. I know I can get a good upgrade price on the RAZR so hopefully the GN offer will be similar.
Old 2012-01-06, 01:15 PM   #29
eimaj

Audacity, that is very true. But if you live anywhere west of Ontario other than the major cities (Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Vancouver), pentaband is useless as the budget carriers have very, very little cell service outside those zones.
Old 2012-01-06, 01:38 PM   #30
WarrenC12

Don't forget that all Galaxy Nexus phones are unlocked, no matter what carrier sells them to you. This is a huge value IMHO. The only other phones like that are iPhones bought from Apple directly.