New roku 2xs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-11-20, 03:26 PM   #1
Aeroman
Rookie

Unhappy New roku 2xs

I have acquired a new roku 2 xs. I have no knowledge of these units. I would like to be able to receive internet radio. I live in Cranbrook BC and have access to only 2 local channels. I have seen the Grace internet radio receiver. It has a remote. You pick a country and the type of music and get thousands of stations. Will I be able to do the same thing, get it set up and get internet radio in the same way or do you have to subscribe to something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-20, 06:36 PM   #2
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

So you purchased something you have no knowledge of and that you're not sure whether it will meet your needs - so why did you purchase it?

I have Roku and AppleTV and the ATV2 seems to be much easier at streaming from any one of thousands of internet radio stations grouped by genre. And has optical out which the Roku 2's no longer have (in case you want to run video to your TV and audio directly into a non-HDMI receiver).

But anyway, have you tried some of the internet radio channels like "tunein": http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#5. Just add the channel either on the Roku or via the website and give it a try. You shouldn't need to subscribe or purchase, but on the Roku you do need to "add the channels". Not too big of a deal but since Roku is a little more open/flexible that also makes it a tiny bit more complicated compared to the ATV2.
Old 2011-11-21, 01:26 PM   #3
Aeroman
Rookie

Default New Roku2 xs

A legit question --as I said have limited knowledge of these units--but I happened to be in store where they had one. I figured I would be able to get some info and either make it work or not. I have been involved in another forum for my 2000 Motorcycle. I found that you could get and give good tips on the operation of the M/c depending on your experience.

In this case I am not able to offer any tips but hoped I wold get some info. If It was not able for this unit to bring the internet radio to my tv then I would sell it.

I did check the Roku site and was able to pick up radio stations throughtout the world. I will now hook up the roku2 unit and see how it goes. any suggestions on a router I should buy.
Have a good one