New Guide Coming - HTML5 Motorola 'DreamGallery' Software - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2011-11-15, 08:04 PM   #1
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway
Default New Guide Coming - HTML5 Motorola 'DreamGallery' Software

No official timeline for release has been announced yet. Initially on the DCX 3200 - more info to come when available. Video link at the bottom of post. This is all we have to go on for now

Press Release
Quote:
ATLANTA, Nov. 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Finding shows, movies and sports on a customer's TV will be easier and faster than the Internet, thanks to the new guide experience being developed by Shaw Communications and Motorola Mobility Inc.'s (NYSE: MMI) DreamGallery software.

DreamGallery empowers operators like Shaw to fulfill consumer demand for a highly intuitive user interface – one that is faster, easier and more enjoyable. A cloud-based HTML5 video tool suite, DreamGallery delivers tools for rapid creation of custom, operator-branded guide experiences through powerful animations, filtering and an easy-to-use Web-like interface.

Innovation @ Internet Speeds

DreamGallery enables operators like Shaw to innovate at Internet speeds. Leading-edge technology fosters rapid innovation, dramatically reducing time-to-scale and development cycles. With DreamGallery, guide interface launches and changes are nearly instantaneous – like updating a web page.

SocialTV and TV Beyond the TV

The software has been designed to deliver the SocialTV and TV Beyond the TV experiences consumers crave. DreamGallery will allow operators to deliver the first consistent user on-screen experience across multiple devices – such as smartphones, tablets, PCs and connected TVs. DreamGallery cleverly abstracts device-dependent requirements empowering operators to customize once, for all devices, regardless of OS (operating systems).

Shaw will begin launching DreamGallery on the Motorola DCX3200 HD set-top that supports both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 service delivery. This launch will mark the first DreamGallery experience in North America, which has gained wide acclaim in Europe. Motorola's open approach to the home ecosystem allows DreamGallery to be deployed on third-party set-tops as operators look to provide a homogeneous experience to all subscribers.

"DreamGallery is a perfect example of how our intuitive software offerings empower consumers to enjoy a seamless experience across content delivery, discovery, sharing and consumption. We are excited to launch DreamGallery in North America with Shaw Communications. Shaw is one of the very first to deliver an entirely new consumer guide experience, while also enjoying new levels of flexibility," said John Burke, senior vice president and general manager, Converged Experiences, Motorola Mobility.

"Our new guide will give our customers a totally new way of interacting with Shaw content, making it easier, faster and more intuitive to enjoy their programming," said Peter Bissonnette, President, Shaw Communications Inc. "DreamGallery will allow us to deliver the Shaw experience across multiple platforms, enabling a future where customers can enjoy their content whenever and wherever they want."

Motorola is showcasing DreamGallery at the 2011 SCTE Cable-Tec Expo, November 15-17 - expect more news to come.. What do you think so far?
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-15, 08:56 PM   #2
mismag

I think it is worthless, to me anyway, if it is only available to those with HD, what about everyone else?
Old 2011-11-15, 09:25 PM   #3
bigdoubledee

Whoop de doo...not, give me more HD channels not this crap.
Old 2011-11-15, 09:29 PM   #4
mike10

awesome I have been wanting a better looking guide for a long time and I don't really want the gateway right now
Old 2011-11-15, 10:31 PM   #5
Crash7

I'm looking forward to it. It mentions it will first be available on the 3200 but why not the 3400?
Old 2011-11-16, 01:31 AM   #6
TheBear
Rookie

I am looking forward to this UI. The exisiting on-screen character-based guide was likely cutting edge back in in 1992. As it stands right now, however, it has just about as much appeal to me as editing a 600 page, illustrated encyclopedia with a floppy disc version of Wordperfect 5.1.
Old 2011-11-16, 09:44 AM   #7
timmaywpg

Looks like a nice interface, the Shaw gateway menus are well overdue for a little makeover!

I'm glad to see that there's option to use your smartphone to navigate through the guide.

How would you interface between your Smartphone and the DCX3200? There is no WiFi on the 3200, and no IR on any new smartphone that I know of, unless you get an addon module.
Old 2011-11-16, 10:41 AM   #8
spitoon

It's definitely time for a change.

I don't really have anything to compare to because I've been a Shaw customer as long as I can remember, but I do use other technology and I know there can/should be a better UI on these boxes.

The only thing about this video is that I just got the feeling that it wasn't close to being ready for release? We all know how quickly Shaw is to adopt new stuff (ie. Glacial), so I just don't see this as something that we can look forward to in a reasonable time frame?
Old 2011-11-16, 12:14 PM   #9
DIGITALEight

FINALLY! Waiting for this for ages. I hope it is available on the 3400 soon!
Old 2011-11-16, 02:45 PM   #10
verd

Is the day I can put away the old remote and control everything via my phone in sight now? When I want to search for a show, will I be able to use the keyboard on my phone instead of using arrow keys to move around the guide interface? Will my wandering cat blocking the IR receiver no longer prevent me from switching channels? I will dare to dream...

It's a very welcome surprise to me as well that this won't just be a Gateway thing. My idle speculation re: why it'll be on the 3200 first is that there's no PVR functionality to have to deal with, so they can build and community-test the other bits first.
Old 2011-11-16, 02:58 PM   #11
hugh
Member #1

verd, I think so provided you have internet access. My guess is the commands will be sent via the tablet or smartphone to your home network, then to Shaw where its processed and then sent to your set top box.
Old 2011-11-16, 03:26 PM   #12
ssbtech

I could have any guide theme I want if I just had a CableCARD
Old 2011-11-16, 03:42 PM   #13
Greg At Home

Odds that this will work with my venerable Motorola DCT 3416 PVR? Pretty slim I'd imagine.
Old 2011-11-17, 01:43 AM   #14
adiabatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBear View Post
I am looking forward to this UI. The exisiting on-screen character-based guide was likely cutting edge back in in 1992. As it stands right now, however, it has just about as much appeal to me as editing a 600 page, illustrated encyclopedia with a floppy disc version of Wordperfect 5.1.
Co-signed. It's shocking that the guide is essentially the same (except for some tweaks here and there) SD-resolution design that's existed since the days when the DCTs were branded "General Instrument". I think I brought my first DCT home in '99 or '00.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this new interface will contain new annoying ad delivery methods. It's bad enough now that I have to give up the bottom line of the guide to stupid PPV ads.

Give me smartphone PVR programming functionality and I might, maybe, forget about the advertisments.
Old 2011-11-17, 11:13 PM   #15
SilverStreak

Quote:
FINALLY! Waiting for this for ages. I hope it is available on the 3400 soon!
This!

Quote:
Odds that this will work with my venerable Motorola DCT 3416 PVR? Pretty slim I'd imagine.
True but then again maybe this will allow Shaw to move ahead with better options when they don't have to support the older gear in the fleet.