Replace Actiontec router with Asus RT-N56U, etc. - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Aliant Home Phone, Internet, IPTV

Old 2012-02-23, 08:22 AM   #256
habskilla

@wildcard,

All I did was turn off the wireless and dhcp. In that state it works either as a switch or as a HPNA adapter. All my TV runs are coax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-23, 09:05 AM   #257
file

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
It's a shame you didn't have that thought when setting it up on your server you could have tracked the downloads from other connections.
I have complete records of all downloads but that's a rough guesstimate really, it doesn't tell me how many people are really using the firmware and in what configuration.
Old 2012-02-23, 11:04 AM   #258
mfaulkner
Rookie

Default VPN Issues

We recently replaced our Actiontech with the RT-N56U and file's firmware. Took a while, but most things seem to be working now. Except I can no longer VPN into my work network. Has anyone else had any VPN issues?
Old 2012-02-23, 11:06 AM   #259
file

Depending on the VPN technology in use (if it's ipsec) you will need to go into the web GUI and enable support for it. The hardware NAT doesn't support it so it has to revert to software NAT, which still works great.
Old 2012-02-23, 11:31 AM   #260
mfaulkner
Rookie

Thanks file - I found the solution just before I read your post. As you said, under WAN/NAT Passthrough options, there is a IPSec Passthrough option that was disabled. Once I enabled it, the VPN works.
Old 2012-02-24, 04:46 PM   #261
JakeD902
Rookie

Default VPN

So if VPN passthroughs are enabled, hardware NAT is disabled?

I guess a better question would be how to tell if the router is using hardware or software NAT?

I'd also like to add a LAN DNS entry for DHCP clients, however when I try I get a popup error " Invalid character! "?

Running 4.3.1.8b

Thanks
Old 2012-02-24, 04:57 PM   #262
file

If IPSEC passthrough or QoS is enabled then hardware NAT support is disabled. The hardware NAT doesn't have the capability to support either. Performance will still be good. You can check this by looking at the General Log in Advanced Setting -> System Log.

As for the LAN DNS entry you'll have to be specific in what you mean and the value you are putting in.
Old 2012-02-24, 05:23 PM   #263
BIGFREAKHD
Rookie

Hello,

How long should it take the asus to get an ip from the wan?

I correctly released the ip from the actiontec.

I am using the latest asus firmware with the corect VLANs ids setup and my action tec Router mac in place.

Thanks
Old 2012-02-24, 05:32 PM   #264
file

If the IP address has been correctly released and your MAC address is correct it should get an IP address instantly upon asking for one from Bell Aliant.
Old 2012-02-24, 06:16 PM   #265
BIGFREAKHD
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply File.

I put my Actiontec back in and I am back online. (last post was from my BB)

I am trying a buddy's Asus I wanted to make sure it would work before I dropped the coin. He just has FiberOp internet and has been using the Asus firmware with just VLAN35 tagged and his actiontec mac setup.

I have 2 TVs and FibreOp internet.
Tomorrow I will flash you modded firmware on it to give that a shot. see if it makes a diff.

other Variables.

I work for Bell Aliant here in Fredericton. (Server admin contracted out to NB Power)

I am full force on testing anything FibreOp I can in on. I have done numerous Modem firmware test and some Mediaroom testing.

The Actiontec I have now has a beta firmware on it. So not sure if there is something on the back end that might be hitching me up.

I will see what I can get working tomorrow.

Not the best time to test my internet is kind importation this week as I am on call for work

Thanks for the help I will keep you posted.
And great work on figuring this out. The Asus is a power house hope I can make it work.
Old 2012-02-24, 06:19 PM   #266
file

You are not the first person who has said that configuring the VLAN tagging information has not worked for them. As I've got it working with the special firmware figuring out why not has fallen rather low on my list presently.
Old 2012-02-24, 06:40 PM   #267
JakeD902
Rookie

Too bad re. VPN, it is a prerequisite in my case; I'd love to take advantage of the hardware NAT.

Quote:
As for the LAN DNS entry you'll have to be specific in what you mean and the value you are putting in.
I'm running a server on my LAN, want any DHCP clients to get it as their first DNS server. DNS server is 10.0.x.6. Any change I try to make on the "DHCP Server" tab of the Asus web config throws this error - (10.0.x.1) Invalid Character!

I think perhaps this IP range is incompatible for some reason. I though it was just trying to add a DNS server which lead to the message but trying to turn off manual IP assignment also does it.
Old 2012-02-24, 06:44 PM   #268
file

I just put 10.0.0.6 as my DNS server for kicks and it accepted it fine. I hope you aren't actually putting an x in there...
Old 2012-02-24, 10:09 PM   #269
wildcard
Rookie

So I took the time tonight with some beer and a full belly after supper and set this up. I figured I would give a step by step in the hopes it helps reduce confusion that can be caused. My setup is as follows:

ONTASUS RT-N56U (NAT) → Actiontec (HPNA controller)

I set the ASUS and Actiontec up where I will be keeping them in a normal setup. I connected to the ASUS (username and password is admin/admin). I immediately flashed the firmware that file has so kindly created and maintained. To do this go to Advanced Settings on the left and in the column Administration, see Firmware Upgrade. Browse to the TRX file and hit upload. Give it time and drink some beer (a very important step added by beercoaster).

Once the upload was done I went into Wireless under Advanced Settings and configured this so it's ready to go. I removed 5Ghz as I have no need for it currently and configured the 2.4Ghz. I went into Advanced Settings again and changed the password under the column Administration you will see “System”. Once this was good I went back to the Actiontec and hit “Release” under Status and walked away. I had to put the kids to bed and get another beer (again thanks to beercoaster for this).

When I came back I took a second to disable DHCP and wireless as for the time being I intend to use the Actiontec as a HPNA controller. For wireless just click on that at the top and hit Disable. For DHCP this is under Advanced by LAN and DHCP Settings. I hit apply, waited for it to refresh and then disconnected from the Actiontec and hooked up to the ASUS. I took a second to run a ethernet line from LAN 4 on the ASUS to LAN 1 on the Actiontec (as per file's instructions and habskilla's tested setup). I went into the Advanced Settings and selected “WAN”. Down at the bottom I picked “Bell Aliant” and popped in the MAC address of the Actiontec (it's on the bottom of the unit and in the status screen when you release the IP), I left the VPN section blank and hit apply.

After the ASUS came back from applying to changes I went to the Network Map and arrived in time to catch the Internet Status go from “Detecting” to “Connected”. File wasn't kidding when he said it happened almost instantly. When I went out from my server room to my “Man Cave” as it's been deemed. I found the TV to be showing A&E where I left it without issue. My upstairs TV I had to reset, it's simply a slave to the PVR I was watching. To do this just press and hold the power button until the box kicks off. Gave some time and back it came.

I have configured the ASUS now the way I like, all my ports forwarded, MAC filtering on, etc. I have to say I'm seeing a difference with the DSTB and response time for the better. I did notice which watching some TV while typing this that the show I was watching had brief moments of macroblocking along with some staggered audio shortly after the macroblocking settles. I cannot confirm yet if this is due to the Actiontec hosting the TV or simply the channel I am on. I will watch this and give some feed back later on.

File my man I owe you a beer or coffee or whatever you drink dude. This is a brilliant find and wonderful setup of firmware and service. Also add me to the list of people using your firmware. I hope this helps some people understand the process so they can take the leap. It's worth the coin in my eyes. Even if I end up with a TPA-311 to replace the Actiontec (assuming this macroblocking and audio issue isn't just the channel) I'm still all in.

One thing I have noticed though is the speed isn't much different. I cannot seem to get my upload on 30/30 to go beyond 6-9Mbps-ish outside of Bell. I Don't know how to fix this aside from ringing Bell up (which I think will do squat). Here's the results from speedtest.bellaliant.net:

Download Speed: 30764 kbps (3845.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 15995 kbps (1999.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 4 ms
Jitter: 0 ms
Packet Loss: 0%

Here's speedtest.net:

Old 2012-02-25, 12:55 PM   #270
file

Glad to hear it is working out for you. Do keep me up to date on the video/sound issue you have experienced.

It is true that this won't improve your overall speeds... well... it will if you use many connections (like torrents).

As for thanks if people want to contribute back to offset the investment I've put into things I'd be fine with that... a few dollars here and there. If not it's all good.