Eastlink to deploy MPEG-4 Video compression - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > EastLink

Old 2011-11-26, 10:54 AM   #16
Jugg_Head
Rookie

Mpeg 4 has better compression, that is why they will have more bandwidth at the end of the day. Having said that, once again Eastlink is over stating what they have accomplished. Yes they have introduced Mpeg 4, but not to all HD channels, in fact they have only converted a few Mux's and have a substantial way to go.
Jugg_Head is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-04, 08:56 PM   #17
Humbar

I take it that the new boxes are also backwards MPEG2 compatible.
Humbar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-04, 11:10 PM   #18
denben73

Location: Cogeco - Windsor, ON; Motorola DCT6416 & Pace DC550D, Xbox360, Wii, SiriusXM, iPad2 & Galaxy S4

Yes they are.
denben73 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-14, 01:02 AM   #19
Doppelganger399

Quote:
Originally Posted by denben73 View Post
From what I heard from someone on the tech side here, is that all HD channels that are being added from now on will be MPEG4. The "older" channels will be converted in the new year. The Hollywood Suite channels will be in MPEG4. That is for Timmins, so I'm not 100% sure if it will be the same everywhere or not.

The current dual-tuner DVR is the DCX3400. I have two of them here. They are solid black, have 250GB hard drives and run well. I had 2 6416s and had both boxes replaced in January when the 3400s were released. It gave me a 50% or so increase in drive space and the CSR at our local retail kiosk added them to my account like I was a new DVR customer. I rent, so I save $10/month for each of them for one year. Unfortunately the year end in 2 months. Promotions change all the time, so you might even get something better.

Also, the DCX700 is a receiver only, not a DVR.
DCX 3400 is what they bumped me up to when the older model didn't get the new channels, there was a bit of an audio problem/mystery but they got it working the video is much better then the 6416.
Doppelganger399 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-21, 05:12 PM   #20
Smoothfonzo

Ok, got the new unit today; A DCX3400-M. Little problem I hope you can help me with. I can change channels just fine, however the DVR part of it such as pausing and rewinding live TV isn't working. It's as if it's simply working as a receiver.
Smoothfonzo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-21, 07:04 PM   #21
denben73

Location: Cogeco - Windsor, ON; Motorola DCT6416 & Pace DC550D, Xbox360, Wii, SiriusXM, iPad2 & Galaxy S4

How long has it been plugged in for? How much of the guide is loaded? I know it can take a good number of minutes before certain things start functioning. I would try power cycling it again. Failing that, you could have a bad unit. Call them before trying to exchange it.

Just a side note, when I first got my 6416 swapped for a 3400, I had no channels authorized, not even TVO on channel 2. Turns out it was how the CSR at the retail outlet added them to my account when switching them. My DCX700 was listed "before" the 3400. The tech fixed it on his handheld device then voila, everything was fixed. Was it brought to your house or did you pick it up yourself?
Old 2011-12-21, 08:32 PM   #22
Smoothfonzo

Been pretty much plugged in all day now. Made me wonder if perhaps they had locked the mode out. I tried it both on the DVR's remote and the Harmony we have, and same deal. There's simply no response from those buttons/commands. Brought it to our house ourself, although we did talk to a technician in getting things started, but that was before I realized there was a problem.
Old 2011-12-22, 04:50 PM   #23
denben73

If you haven't done it already, I'd be calling their tech support. Sounds odd. It could even be something like a data cable not plugged into the drive. I've seen it on new PCs out of the box. Regardless it should be swapped out. I'm curious as to what happens if you try to set up a recording through the IPG?
Old 2011-12-22, 04:51 PM   #24
denben73

Something else I just though of....when they switch to MPEG4 for all the HD channels, will the recordings on our DVRs be smaller in size too since it is compressed more?
Old 2011-12-23, 04:03 AM   #25
Smoothfonzo

Turns out it needed a simple reboot. I guess it wasn't initializing correctly. Odd that it would be like that right on first boot though. As for recordings, when it wasn't working right, it would allow me to record, but then when trying to play them back, it would throw an error message to the effect of saying "Check your main DVR." Err well, it is the main DVR lol. Guess it has something to do with permissions and the fact that it wasn't initializing correctly. The multi-room DVR capabilities seem to have thrown in a few extra problems that the old grey boxes didn't have. All good now though

Interesting thing to note is initially, likely due to it not being initialized correctly, it was giving me 1080p as default, but the picture wasn't as great as it is now when using 720p. I think something was also messed up giving me not that great a picture. Much sharper now.
Old 2011-12-23, 08:20 AM   #26
denben73

Good to hear.
Old 2012-01-03, 08:26 PM   #27
denben73

Quote:
Originally Posted by denben73 View Post
Something else I just though of....when they switch to MPEG4 for all the HD channels, will the recordings on our DVRs be smaller in size too since it is compressed more?
I answered my own question. I recorded Rain Man on one of the Hollywood Suite channels. The HD recording was 145 minutes long and used 3% of my drive. I also recorded one hour-long episode of The Tonight show from NBC Detroit, it took 3% of the space too. Can't wait until they convert all the HD channels over to MPEG4.
Old 2012-08-12, 01:25 AM   #28
denben73

I'll take my last post in this thread back.

My dilemma... On my DCX3400 when recording SD and MPEG2 HD, the recordings will play, FF, REW, and delete just fine. MPEG4 channels are another story. Extremely choppy and nearly freezing when FFing or rewinding, then hit Play and I'm minute or so further than I should be. In short, I'm just better off not skipping the ads.

As for the deleting the recording part, if the current tuner is set to an MPEG4 channel and I delete an MPEG2 recording, the box is locked for a good 10 seconds before it continues on. Even the remote indicator on the front of the panel sticks on during this time. If the recording matches the current tuner as in MPEG2 Or MPEG4 - no problems.

Now, with the HD conversion to MPEG4 here in Timmins which is happening very soon, I'm worried that this DVR is going to be worthless.

Has anyone in a full MPEG4 environment had theses issues? My DCX3400 is connected to my TV via HDMI. The current software on the DCX is 78.54-a28p4.1005.r-6 and the firmware is 24.29. I'm curious if this is the same in other parts of their territory. I've power-cycled this thing numerous times, makes no difference. I have numerous recordings that I don't really want to lose but if I have to I will bring it in to get replaced. I just want to do in case this is "normal".
Old 2012-08-12, 03:34 PM   #29
ta guy

Mines doing the exact same thing. Hard to fast forward when it seems to jump 5 minutes ahead at times. Have you noticed sometimes when you fast forward it seems to go back and forth in jerky movements.
ta guy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-08-12, 05:09 PM   #30
denben73

YES!!!

I've only ever seen that effect when recording on CBC Montreal (616)

I've seen different types of wonky performance on MPEG4 channels. MPEG2 is fine. Viewing the channel live, it's perfect.

Clarifying the last sentence in my previous post... "I just don't want to bring it in for a replacement if this is considered normal."

I'd reset the box myself but can't find info on how to do it with this model. Everything I've found is for the DCT64xx series.

Tags
eastlink, motorola, mpeg 4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.