Rogers trials Digital Starter Pack in London - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-11-01, 04:32 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Rogers trials Digital Starter Pack in London

Rogers announced today the launch of the first Digital Starter Pack which the company claims will give Rogers cable customers "the choice and flexibility they want."

Available beginning November 8 as a trial in London, Ontario, the Rogers Digital Starter Pack delivers a standard set of 86 core TV channels, including government mandated channels, for a base price of $20.29/month including all monthly fees.

Customers can order the Digital Starter Pack and then choose any additional 15, 20 or 30 channels from more than 100 options, starting at $26.38/month including all monthly fees.

The Digital Starter Pack trial will run until the end of March 2012.

Customers in the London area can contact Rogers by phone or visit their local Rogers retail store to learn more about the Digital Starter Pack.
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-01, 04:34 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Don't know how this gives customers "the choice and flexibility they want."

What about a la carte pricing or "nothing but HD" pricing? That's what I hear everyone around here want!
Old 2011-11-01, 04:36 PM   #3
ve3sy

It will be interesting to see how this rolls out. Like many of this groups readers, I watch probably less than 12 channels - those being the speciality HD and no matter how I tried to drop the 350 channels I did not want, I was forced to take VIP before starting at the HD selections.

I expect this is being driven by Bell's FIBE offering of 80 basic channels for a low price. Time will tell.
Old 2011-11-01, 06:32 PM   #4
ScaryBob
Veteran

Quote:
Customers can order the Digital Starter Pack and then choose any additional 15, 20 or 30 channels from more than 100 options, starting at $26.38/month including all monthly fees.
That sounds like a-la-carte to me. The basic package price sounds too good to be true. I'm guessing the programming is very similar to the VIP analog package. If Rogers get's enough analog customers to switch to this new digital plan, they can shut down analog for good.
Old 2011-11-01, 10:04 PM   #5
MapMaker

Quote:
a standard set of 86 core TV channels, including government mandated channels, for a base price of $20.29/month
I can't imagine 86 "TV" channels without the majority of them being audio "channels".

RVT (Radio via television) is wasted on me, I'm seriously thinking of going back to television via radio (OTA)
Old 2011-11-02, 06:17 AM   #6
Humbar

This must be a price for 1 year. I can't see how Rogers can make any money on a price that low. I also wonder how they were able to negotiate this with their channel providers. On the other hand the flexibility is marginal, since you can't order less than 15 channels. How about ordering 1 channel extra only. Also i'm sure their is linkage rules meaning you can't order only U.S. channels. I'd like to read the fine print
Old 2011-11-02, 06:26 AM   #7
ScaryBob
Veteran

I forgot about audio channels. That means this could be the same as basic analog cable with a selection of FM or digital music channels added. Dose anyone have the channel list?
Old 2011-11-02, 08:02 AM   #8
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
I can't imagine 86 "TV" channels without the majority of them being audio "channels".
Rogers describes the channels as "core TV Channels."

According to the Rogers Website, their are 146 stations in the Rogers Digital Basic package. Of those 63 are audio. Of the remaining 83, they consist primarily of OTA channels (10 CBC channels), OTA Ethnic channels, Religious channels, sales channels and Rogers owned digital specialty channels such as SportsNet. They even count PPV channels in that 86 which I think is disingenuous.

In other words, few if any of these stations cost Rogers Cable a dime in terms of programming costs. (yes Sportsnet costs Rogers money to produce but that is a cost paid by Rogers Media not Rogers Cable
Old 2011-11-02, 08:20 AM   #9
hugh
Member #1

Here is the list I compiled of non-audio channels in the Rogers basic package and would likely be the components of the trial package

1. ABC Buffalo (WKBW)
  2. APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network)
  3. ATV Halifax (CTVAT)
  4. CablePulse24
  5. CBC Calgary (CBRT)
  6. CBC Halifax (CBHT)
  7. CBC Newsworld/Voiceprint (SAP)
  8. CBC Oshawa (Channel 12 CHEX TV Durham)
  9. CBC St. John's (CBNT)
  10. CBC Toronto (CBLT)
  11. CBC Vancouver (CBUT)
  12. CBC Winnipeg (CBWT)
  13. CBS Buffalo (WIVB)
  14. CHCH
  15. Citytv Calgary
  16. Citytv Toronto
  17. Citytv Vancouver
  18. Citytv Winnipeg
  19. CPAC English (main audio) (Cable Public Affairs Channel)
  20. CPAC French (main audio) (Cable Public Affairs Channel)
  21. CPWA FM Portuguese Radio Toronto
  22. CTS (Crossroads Television System)
  23. CTV Calgary (CTVCA)
  24. CTV Kitchener/London (CTVSO)
  25. CTV News Channel
  26. CTV Toronto (CTVTO)
  27. GameTV
  28. Global BC (CHAN)
  29. Global Calgary (CICT)
  30. Global Toronto (CIII)
  31. Grace TV
  32. Joytv 10
  33. Joytv 11
  34. Mediaset Italia
  35. Metro 14
  36. Multicultural Free Preview Channel
  37. Multicultural on Demand
  38. NBC Buffalo (WGRZ)
  39. NFL Network On Demand
  40. Pay Per View 23
  41. Pay Per View 3
  42. Pay Per View 5
  43. Pay Per View Preview Channel
  44. PBS Buffalo (WNED)
  45. RDI
  46. Real Estate Channel
  47. Rogers On Demand
  48. Rogers TV
  49. Rotisserie Channel
  50. ShopTV Canada
  51. Sports Preview Channel
  52. Sportsnet East
  53. Sportsnet Ontario
  54. Sportsnet Pacific
  55. Sportsnet West
  56. SRC Toronto (CBLFT)
  57. SUN TV
  58. Télé Québec (CIVM)
  59. TFO (CHLF)
  60. The Accessible Channel
  61. The Aquarium Channel
  62. The Cottage Channel
  63. The Shopping Channel (tSc)
  64. The Sunset Channel
  65. The Weather Network
  66. TLN en Espanol
  67. Treehouse On Demand
  68. Treehouse
  69. TV Call Display
  70. TV Listings
  71. TV Mix - Kids
  72. TV5
  73. TVA Montreal (CFTM)
  74. TVOntario (TVO - CICA)
  75. TXT-TV
  76. VisionTV
  77. VoicePrint
  78. W Network (East)
  79. WNLO Buffalo (CW23)
  80. WNYO Buffalo (MyNetworkTV)
  81. Your World This Week
  82. YTV (East)
  83. YTV On Demand
Old 2011-11-02, 09:21 AM   #10
scotta

I wonder how easy it will be to change the line up in an additional channel pack once you have it?
Old 2011-11-02, 09:42 AM   #11
hugh
Member #1

The trial is in response to the CRTC's demand in September that cable companies offer consumers a "skinny basic cable" service which consisits of a limited number of television channels at a lower monthly cost and more so-called “à la carte options” which enable consumers to pick and pay for the channels they want.

My guess is that Rogers will make little effort to promote this and will make it difficult to get. Rogers wants this trial to fail so they can go to the CRTC and say "look, we tried Skinny basic and ala carte programming and it failed because no one wanted it"
Old 2011-11-02, 10:48 AM   #12
billpaidJr

^^ agree with that. They make more money the other way. I'm sure they will find a way to up-sell people into other packages. Probably using HD as the carrot.
Old 2011-11-02, 12:09 PM   #13
spensar

Globe Article today, basically a recap.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2221633/
Old 2011-11-02, 12:32 PM   #14
LONSat

I will be investigating this to see what my costs would be in comparison to Shaw Direct's OVP/DVP package. I have held off on doing the PVR thing with SD based on feedback and there are now many channels, SD and HD, that Shaw is missing. If I can pick and choose the channels I want and get something close to the monthly costs that I am paying now I will probably jump ship. Heck I might be even be willing to pay a little more than I pay now if I can get closer to the channels I want and am missing from SD.
Old 2011-11-02, 12:41 PM   #15
Candew
Rookie

Default The illusion of a la carte

Customers can order the Digital Starter Pack and then choose any additional 15, 20 or 30 channels from more than 100 options

So out of all of the channels Rogers currently carries, you only get to choose from an additional 100 channels for a la carte in addition to the 'core' channels provided for in the package?

Why the restrictions? A la carte should mean I get to choose the channels I wish to view outside of the 'core' channel offerings from ALL of the available channels Rogers currently carry, not just from 100 so chosen by Rogers.

This really pisses me off to no end!