Rogers begins activation of its first LTE smartphone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers, Fido and Chatr Wireless

Old 2011-10-27, 02:30 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Rogers begins activation of its first LTE smartphone

Three months after its launched its Long Term Evolution (LTE) wireless network in Ottawa, Rogers has begun activating its first LTE smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE. The new devices were first delivered to customers on Tuesday

Let the upgrading begin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-27, 05:41 PM   #2
PhotoJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Let the upgrading begin!
Too bad 90% of the network here in Saskatchewan is 2G. I guess they'll just skip the 3G upgrade and convert it to LTE in about ten years...

Still, it's nice to have options and in areas with LTE service, I can see these devices being pretty useful.
Old 2011-10-28, 12:28 PM   #3
greenshadow

dont feel bad PhotoJim it's the same for the maritimes I just got a galaxy and it worth nothing to have a data package on as 2g if it works only runs at 120kbps and i live in a university town that service is non exsistant
Old 2011-10-29, 12:28 AM   #4
Eluder

I got an HTC Raider today, but I need to go grab an LTE SIM to see how this bad boy will run...
Old 2011-11-07, 08:43 AM   #5
jimy123

Default LTE data plans??? do they cost more

Do LTE plans cost more than 4G/3G? it's a nightmare on the Rogers site trying to find out....

thanx...
Old 2011-11-07, 11:43 AM   #6
TorontoColin

Yup, afraid so. Go to www.rogerslte.com/new-lte-devices and click on "see LTE plan details" below one of the devices.

They have a promotional offer right now of 10GB for $50. It's definitely pricey, but on a sliding scale it's not bad considering their old semi-regular promo was 6GB for $30.

Perhaps they will invest the money they make from these LTE plans into redesigning rogerslte.com so that doesn't look like it was made in 2002.
Old 2011-11-11, 01:59 PM   #7
TVGuy68

The Raider is huge, reminds me of the Nokia 2190 back in the day

I personally wouldn't bother getting a 1st gen LTE phone, LTE coverage is small & 2nd gen devices will be even faster. Without a reasonably large data bucket at an affordable price I don't see the advantage of the higher data speeds LTE gives you, which would be more useful when tethered to a computer then for on device browsing or streaming IMO.
Old 2011-11-28, 11:16 PM   #8
Eluder

FYI, Rogers does have a promo where you can get LTE on existing plans.
I switched my $30/6GB over to the LTE variant and now using a Raider.
LTE sure can be quick on a phone, it's quite crazy how fast these things get.
Did a speed test at work today and got 33Mbps/15Mbps; very impressive for a phone.

Tags
lte, rogers wireless, samsung galaxy s ii