Space Audio Glitches - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2011-10-26, 06:57 PM   #1
shawguy
Premium Supporter

Default Space Audio Glitches

I will admit I do not watch Space very often but the past two months or so when I do, I will get audio glitches every minute or so (Video does not glitch). Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue? Could it be a signal issue? (does anyone know what frequency space is on in Winnipeg) because I have not seen anyone else report that issue on this forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-26, 07:28 PM   #2
gbamber

Been happening here in North Vancouver also. Driving me nuts.
Old 2011-10-29, 03:26 PM   #3
bevster

same thing in Kelowna, some other channels do this as well. I am on the new gateway system.

another issue is some channels have the audio out of sync. teletoon and ctv HD to name a couple.
Old 2011-10-30, 09:34 PM   #4
shawguy
Premium Supporter

Ok Well now I know its not only me... maybe I'll wait four hours and call Shaw sometime this week
Old 2011-11-18, 08:24 PM   #5
simulcastthis

I've noticed problems with this channel and this channel only, when a movie is on space it a static like sound can be heard at times.
Old 2011-11-18, 08:50 PM   #6
shawguy
Premium Supporter

Yeah, I think more people should call. I recently switched to the SPP and I no longer get Space so I can't comment on this issue much more.
Old 2011-11-24, 05:08 PM   #7
number6

I reported this Space audio issue in the summer, and Shaw sent a tech to take a look. I have a DCX3400, and he tried a new unit (same model). Still same problem. He called in to dispatch, and apparently Shaw HQ knew about this affecting a "minority" of customers so it was not high on their priority list for repairing in the system. The tech apologized, and suggested that I just connect the cable directly to the TV. That's not a viable solution to me. he couldn't give a timeline as to when Shaw would fix this issue.

I emailed Customer Service this month to see if anything had changed (knowing that the audio problem itself hadn't, after checking). They offered to send a tech out, but there'e no point if it's a back-end problem.

It's annoying to me because I used to watch Space a lot, and would love to see it in HD (though that would be pointless unless I watch in mute!). Of course, my wife doesn't mind at all because she hates SF and this situation allows us to survive with one TV. LOL. But the point is, I want Shaw to fix this audio problem!
Old 2012-02-20, 06:58 PM   #8
smokin_joe
Rookie

Have you guys ever got any results with this? I recently got a DCX3400 and the space channel also does this for me... I can't say I have noticed this on any other channel but space. It also does not happen on my very old shaw digital box in the other room.
Old 2012-02-23, 01:12 PM   #9
CalgaryBen

If available to you (i.e. within your subscription), try the Space HD simulcast. It should be free of the audio static sound.

This affects the left audio channel of Space SD, and will occur if the set-top is doing the AC3 downconversion of audio to L-PCM (i.e. you're using analog left/right audio connection, or you're using HDMI with Audio Output set to Auto (in many cases) or L-PCM. A work-around is to go into User Settings (POWER, MENU), then go to Additional HDMI Settings >>> Audio Output, and change to Pass Through. This allows your TV to do the AC3 decoding. Your TV must be Dolby Digital capable (most are) for this to work.

Not sure of settings on the Gateway to accomplish the same, unfortunately.

There is a bug in the Broadcom drivers for the SOC chip in the DCX3400 which causes this problem. I would speculate that the Gateway uses the same or similar chipset and drivers. It seems to be isolated to the Space SD service. A firmware upgrade for the DCX3400 should be forthcoming from Motorola that will address this issue, probably in the Spring/Summer 2012 timeframe.

Ben
Old 2012-02-23, 06:39 PM   #10
smokin_joe
Rookie

Thanks for the Tips CalgaryBen. I doubt my TV is doing any kind of conversion I'm just using the analog audio cables for sound I have older CRT TV's and none of this new plasma, LCD stuff yet.

I did try the HD version of the channel, and no glitches, so that's good news :-) I'll watch that one from here on out until my 3400 gets a fix for it.