Rob Ford on this hour has 22 minutes (and 911 Profanity) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Television?

Old 2011-10-29, 03:06 PM   #46
whi_tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV101 View Post
I'm sure if I ran around the streets of Toronto with a "sword" plastic or real... as you can't always tell the difference... I would be arrested and charged with Weapons Dangerous. If I had a plastic gun it's no different...
Actually, it is different. The sword is nothing but an oversized kitchen knife. They are not prohibited or restricted as is a firearm. Sword, machete or steak knife, you could walk down the street with it strapped to your back all day and not get arrested. You'd get plenty of attention from police, but no weapons charges. Now, if you were to brandish the sword or make threats with it, then that is another matter, but again, replace sword with baseball bat and it is the same situation. It is all in how it is used or presented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-29, 04:51 PM   #47
Jake

There was NO SWORD real or plastic so lets not get side-tracked on what constitutes a dangerous or prohibited weapon.

Mr. Ford had plenty of options available to him. Calling 911 should not have been one of them. We witness journalists clamoring for pictures or to ask questions all the time of politicians.
Old 2011-10-29, 08:29 PM   #48
Biggles

Mr Ford is a class act.I'm sure his Mum is very proud of him.
Old 2011-10-30, 10:52 AM   #49
wgauci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Mr. Ford had plenty of options available to him. Calling 911 should not have been one of them. We witness journalists clamoring for pictures or to ask questions all the time of politicians.
At 8AM as they come walking out of their private residences? I don't think so. The CBC isn't being entirely honest as well. Their statement claimed that the "interview" started at the end of his driveway. However, the clip shows her running up the driveway as he walks from his house to his vehicle. She then gets in his face while he's clearly politely asking her to let him get into his vehicle and puts her hands all over him when he tried to turn away. After he gets into his car, She's still in his face standing inside the vehicles door and preventing him from closing his door while he's asking to please move so he can close his door, which she didn't. It's only then that you can see him finally decide to get out and go into the house. By the way, you can see his kid standing in the front window watching the whole thing.

In my opinion, the CBC are way out of bounds on this one. Is it now OK for the media to sit outside of public peoples personal residences at all hours? Never mind the fact that this particular person was there for the sole purpose of embarrassing him in his own driveway. These were not reporters but a film crew from a mock news show, I don't really think you can cry freedom of the press on this one either. The CBC should acknowledge that they overstepped themselves. And frankly, if I had someone like her running up to me on my private property and getting in my face like she did, I'd be calling 911 as well. They were uninvited, in his face and impeded him from leaving, they should count themselves lucky he was as polite as he was. I know the folks at CBC live in rarefied air, and it must be hard for them to understand that the vast majority of people don't actually know who the "princess warrior" is, but they should understand that not everyone will want to play along and be made of fool of on camera, especially for the tiny minority who actually know that 22 minutes exist.
Old 2011-10-30, 11:27 AM   #50
Jake

After reading this story and seeing some of the comments I can only say I think Mr. Ford needs to grow up or grow a pair. In the meantime I suggest he seek advice on how to handle these situations.

May I suggest this guy for the job or his wife.
Old 2011-10-30, 08:11 PM   #51
PokerFace

Question Who ya gonna call

Please help me! There's a witch on my driveway and it's not even Halloween yet! She's an old bitty waving a black magic wand. My child is very scared and I'm not Ford tough enough to handle this situation on my own.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...n-in-the-world

Quote:
“Toronto’s Rob effing Ford The mayor of his effing city. Today’s effing worst person in the effing world,” said Olbermann in conclusion.
Old 2011-10-31, 08:15 AM   #52
nfitz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgauci View Post
The CBC isn't being entirely honest as well. Their statement claimed that the "interview" started at the end of his driveway.
I don't believe that was the CBC statement. I believe that was the statement from the private production company that makes 22 minutes. Just watched the footage again, seems to start at end of driveway to me.

Quote:
However, the clip shows her running up the driveway as he walks from his house to his vehicle.
Starting at the end of the driveway ...

Quote:
By the way, you can see his kid standing in the front window watching the whole thing.
Uh, no you can't. Why are you saying this? Perhaps you can post a photo showing this?

Quote:
In my opinion, the CBC are way out of bounds on this one.
Why are you blaming CBC on this ... it's not like they would have had any staff present.
Old 2011-11-01, 07:53 PM   #53
wgauci

Quote:
I don't believe that was the CBC statement. I believe that was the statement from the private production company that makes 22 minutes. Just watched the footage again, seems to start at end of driveway to me.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...police248.html
Last paragraph...

Quote:
"These surprise interviews are what 22 Minutes are known for and have been a part of the show for years," Ball said. "The interview began at the end of his driveway and concluded shortly thereafter. The crew had no interaction with the Toronto police."
The way I read that, this is inferring that the crew was standing at the end of the driveway and started interviewing Mr. Ford. I am watching the CBC site show viewer for Ep. 6 Oct. 25. At about 12:55 of the viewer timer, you can see Mary in front of the camera leaving the sidewalk and running up to Ford who was standing at the front of his vehicle at the top of the driveway.

The kid in the window I am totally wrong on, my mistake, I mistakenly thought I saw a girl standing in the window, it actually looks like a Dora Doll.

Quote:
Why are you blaming CBC on this ... it's not like they would have had any staff present
It was my understanding that the CBC was producing the show, I was under the assumption that it was filmed out of the CBC studio's. It would appear I'm 1 for 3 on my post.
Old 2011-11-01, 09:03 PM   #54
Jake

Quote:
The kid in the window I am totally wrong on, my mistake, I mistakenly thought I saw a girl standing in the window, it actually looks like a Dora Doll.
Glad I was not the only one to see Dora in the window.
Old 2011-11-01, 10:28 PM   #55
nfitz
Veteran

Quote:
url]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/10/24/ford-toront-mayor-this-hour-police248.html[/url]
Last paragraph...
Fair enough.

Quote:
The way I read that, this is inferring that the crew was standing at the end of the driveway and started interviewing Mr. Ford. I am watching the CBC site show viewer for Ep. 6 Oct. 25. At about 12:55 of the viewer timer, you can see Mary in front of the camera leaving the sidewalk and running up to Ford who was standing at the front of his vehicle at the top of the driveway.
The statement said that the interview started at the end of the driveway; it didn't say whether they walked onto the driveway or not.

It sounded to me that they were just making a joke about the brevity and failure of the interview ... rather than trying to say the weren't on his property. The spokesman likely had been briefed that the whole thing was a colossal failure ... little did they know that Ford had rescued them.
Old 2011-11-01, 11:16 PM   #56
wgauci

They overstepped the bounds. Show me one other political figure where she accosts them in the driveway of their personal residences. It's uncalled for and an invasion of privacy.

I feel to the 911 issue is more of a deflection and an attempt to make him look like he over reacted to their bad behaviour. Can anyone ring off the local police's phone number anymore. I can't, 911 has become the default now.

One last thing I noticed after going back and watching the "interview" is that when she has him cornered in the vehicle, it appears as if something has been edited out just before he gets back out. If we're calling for the 911 tapes to be released, I'd ask to see the entirety of the video as well.
Old 2011-11-02, 07:15 PM   #57
nfitz
Veteran

Quote:
They overstepped the bounds. Show me one other political figure where she accosts them in the driveway of their personal residences. It's uncalled for and an invasion of privacy.
Show me one other mayor who has declared war on the largest newspaper in their country. Ford has made himself completely inaccessible to the media, at a level that no other Canadian politician has. Even Harper has made himself available to 22 Minutes.

Quote:
If we're calling for the 911 tapes to be released, I'd ask to see the entirety of the video as well.
That's a fair request. These things are typically edited for time ... I can't imagine it was anything sinister, or we'd be hearing such claims from Ford.
Old 2011-11-03, 07:54 AM   #58
hugh
Member #1

Posts removed.

This thread is not about the Harper Governments policy towards the press. It's about an incident that happened in Rob Ford's driveway.
Old 2011-11-03, 09:41 AM   #59
hugh
Member #1

Rob Ford 911 Calls sealed by chief of police

Quote:
According to my police sources, these tapes have been removed from the 9-1-1 data bank and placed under police seal by the chief. That’s usually done when a 9-1-1 call becomes part of a police investigation.
Ford has refused to allow them to be heard. Seems like Bill Blair is trying hard to make sure we never hear the 911 call. Wonder why?
Old 2011-11-03, 10:06 AM   #60
cooper83
Veteran

I'm not from Toronto, and I know very little about either of these individuals, but how the heck are they still in office? If first impressions count for anything, both these guys are grade A buffoons. How did Ford get elected in the first place??