Rob Ford on this hour has 22 minutes (and 911 Profanity) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Television?

Old 2011-10-26, 11:25 AM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Rob Ford on this hour has 22 minutes (and 911 Profanity)

Interesting story yesterday

Toronto mayor had no time for This Hour Has 22 minutes

If you heard Rob Ford tell it, he and his 6 year old daughter were accosted by masked crusaders and his daughter was screaming, ran back in the house and Rob Ford was forced to call 911.

At first I was thinking, okay the show has gone too far.

Reality

Quote:
Walsh said the mayor’s daughter wasn’t there when she showed up in his driveway in character as the outlandish, loudmouthed Marg Delahunty.

“There was no child at all,” she told the Star. “I mean, was she inside his suit jacket? We never saw any children.”
Seriously, how could anyone fear for their life with Marg Delahunty?

Quote:
“I’m a 60-year-old woman with a plastic sword,” she said. “I was just going to give him a bit of friendly advice.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marg.JPG (40.8 KB, 235 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-26, 11:34 AM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

There has been plenty of feedback on this topic in the papers and on the web. I saw 22 Minutes last night and there was no child present. Ford looked like he didn't know who Marg was, got into his van (licence plate Rob Ford) and apparently forgot how to use his cellphone without driving at the same time. He also didn't remember how to use his middle finger.

When I watched it with my wife I mentioned that he may have thought it was a different Marg - Atwood.

In articles yesterday he said he didn't know who she was and feared for his family - apparently there are a lot of people Rob Ford doesn't recognize - especially if they are from "the arts".

The 22 Minutes interview continued (later) with the other half of the mayor - Doug, however, neither segment was particularly enlightening or funny, unfortunately.
Old 2011-10-26, 11:41 AM   #3
eljay
DHC Supporter

I saw the story on the news last night, and I suspect that Mr. Ford was more afraid of Ms. Walsh's camera crew and the potential for embarrassment than he was of either her or her "warrior princess" outfit.

I noticed, too, that Mr. Ford is quite a bit larger than the last time I saw him on the news...
Old 2011-10-26, 11:44 AM   #4
hugh
Member #1

I personally never liked the Marg Delahunty character or skits so this one was no more or less funny for me.

While I think the CBC overstepped their bounds a bit on this one, Ford clearly "embellished" things and I find it virtually impossible to believe that any politician in Canada doesn't know Rick Mercer, This Hour has 22 Minutes and Mary Walsh.
Old 2011-10-26, 11:49 AM   #5
redzone

please if you were a mayor of a city of a few million people have had multiple death threats and a person showed up at your door dressed like that you'd be freaked out too!

i had no idea who this character was either.

just saying cut the guy some slack.
Old 2011-10-26, 12:03 PM   #6
NeilN
Veteran

The microphone with the big "22" on it and the camera person (likely holding a camera with a CBC logo) didn't give him a clue?
Old 2011-10-26, 12:05 PM   #7
JamesK
Veteran

It's one thing if it's at his office. Quite another at his home, which should be off limits for this sort of thing. Even a mayor is entitled to his privacy. Also, since his home is private property, this sort of thing is trespassing.

BTW, I am not a Ford fan.
Old 2011-10-26, 12:13 PM   #8
sadchel

I'd like to see all the footage, not just the footage the CBC aired
Old 2011-10-26, 12:15 PM   #9
Jake

Yes there would have been at least 3 people in the crew. Marg may have a hand mic but the guy holding the boom mic as well as a sound guy and camera man. I didn't see any masks either.

He overreacted, looked like a ______ in the process and is now trying to save a little bit of face.

Also, I certainly hope the guy visits his doctor soon. He does not look healthy at all.
Old 2011-10-26, 12:15 PM   #10
hugh
Member #1

Unfortunately News Crews outside of people's homes has been the reality for the last 30 years.

I didn't like the "at home" nature of this either and don't condone it but Ford calling 911 and saying he was attacked etc is just silly.
Old 2011-10-26, 12:20 PM   #11

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Here's the link. Go to the 12 minute mark or so of Episode 6, right after the Commercial

http://www.cbc.ca/22minutes/episodes.html
Old 2011-10-26, 12:20 PM   #12
NeilN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Also, since his home is private property, this sort of thing is trespassing.
Actually, it's not. Trespass occurs if a person:

(1) Without permission enters when prohibited,
(2) Engages in a prohibited activity on the property
(3) Fails to leave when directed;

So unless there was a sign or 22 Minutes failed to leave when ordered to do so then it's not trespassing. This is only common sense as anyone who walks onto private property not theirs using a pathway could theoretically be charged with trespassing otherwise.
Old 2011-10-26, 12:32 PM   #13

Watched the video again - a few things I noticed.

1. The backup lights seem to be on, on the van, unless that's a "feature" when you get into the car and turn on the ignition - along with the front lights?

2. There was a comment in the article earlier that someone thought they heard Marg say "we've got you now". I thought I heard that too last night when I watched 22 Minutes - perhaps that was edited out of this new sequence? I've deleted the programme from my PVR, otherwise I could check. Anyone still have it on their PVR from last night who could check that fact?
Old 2011-10-26, 04:24 PM   #14
Jase88

Sun News Network (which is staunchly anti-CBC) had a field day with this yesterday.

Personally, I don't see what sort of comedic value this show expected to glean from surprising a mayor in the early morning in his driveway.
Old 2011-10-26, 06:09 PM   #15
stapler

"Seriously, how could anyone fear for their life with Marg Delahunty?"

It's a stretch to assume that everyone watchs the show and knows who the characters are.

In the latest ratings
http://bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_tv_p...at10102011.pdf
the show isn't even in the top 30.

So, even if you give the show the same ratings as the 3oth place show, less than 4% of English Canada watches the show.

It they showed up at the end of my driveway it would have been a lot uglier.