Sonicview SV-360 Elite PVR Question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Old 2011-10-10, 09:14 AM   #1
cyberham

Default Sonicview SV-360 Elite PVR Question

Considering all the firmware trouble I've experienced with this receiver, should I simply get rid of it and buy a new different model? I am only interested in legal FTA; not interested at all in catching scrambled pay services. Can you offer a newbie your opinion of what model(s) would be best to consider? I like the features of my Sonicview, but it just doesn't work without error messages all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-10, 07:47 PM   #2
thelovelylad

any of the coolsat or viewsat models.any of the older recievers should be just fine. unfortunately not alot of the newer units are any good for true fta
the one shown at the top of this thread was probobly one of the best for true fta.
Old 2011-10-10, 08:09 PM   #3
cyberham

I will keep your comment in mind. For now, I won't buy anything more until I can get my dish installed and working. Right now, it looks like I might be able to view the arc from 79W through 125W. And before that, I must remove the dent to the dish inflicted by a recent hurricane. Hope the snow stays away to give me more time to work on this before winter.
Old 2011-10-11, 12:45 AM   #4
WillDekkard

Openbox S9 or S10, as well as the AZ Box are good FTA receivers. The S9&S10 will do S2, but not 4:2:2 which the AZ Box will do. BTW: These receivers are HD as well.
Old 2011-10-11, 01:23 AM   #5
bigredneck

I have had very little trouble with my Sonicview receivers. I bought a open box s9, i consider it a big mistake!!!
My sonicviews have always been GREAT., but they are not HD or MPEG4, My next receiver will be an Azbox.
Old 2011-10-11, 06:49 AM   #6
cyberham

bigredneck: To this day, I cannot find firmware for my Sonicview that doesn't deliver show-stopping symptoms. I would ultimately have to do a cold reboot to continue. Neither Sonicview tech support nor my local dealer, at least in 2010, could help me with this which was very disappointing since symptoms began immediately after buying the new unit. Can you point me to where I can get reliable firmware? Otherwise, I like the unit including the multi-channel window and PVR features; I don't care it isn't HD (right now at least). The Azbox is new to me but I am liking what I hear.
Old 2011-10-11, 09:39 AM   #7
Kraven

Viewsat? Sure they're cheap and easy to find but it doesnt do *S2 nor HD.

Cheers, K
Old 2011-10-15, 10:04 PM   #8
bigredneck

Cyberham- I had a lil trouble once. I used a factory reset and sys clean and firm ware from sonicview. Why mine works? I can't even begin to guess.
Dr.Sat- I don't know what or why sv units were built. I do know that it (sv) works with less glitches and problems than my openbox. Menu is easier. Everything about the Sonicview , ( in my opinion ) is better than openbox. It just isn't hd or mpeg4.

I hope the azbox will not be as big a disappointment as the openbox has been.
Old 2011-10-16, 05:39 AM   #9
cyberham

The point may be when did you do that bigredneck? Was it back in 2008 or earlier before the software became buggy? My experience is that the latest version of Sonicview firmware (June 2010) on their company website is corrupted. I don't have a "hub" as I guess many do, and that may be the reason I am having trouble. This unit still sells at $150 on ebay and is advertised as new. I agree it has nice features.
Old 2011-10-16, 01:09 PM   #10
bigredneck

Question

That may be it, mine has been bug free since about 2009 . No ihub on mine , ever. I kept dish service till tv went HD. Now we get 22 channels OTA clear , ( with home made antenna, details in the site), and I'm not sure how many fta.
I'm not very good at all this satellite stuff. Very few friends around here do fta. One local expert, ( sold and installed BUDs for years), died a couple years ago and took his knowledge with him. if I can figure out which firmware it is, maybe I can put on USB stick & send to you. Do you know if this is possible?

I will look on my old laptop and see if the firmware is still there. Afterall That's how I got it to a us. Stick to start with.

Last edited by bigredneck; 2011-10-16 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Just had an after thought
Old 2011-10-16, 07:57 PM   #11
cyberham

I've certainly copied new firmware into the Sonicview. I haven't tried copying firmware out of the box. At this time, the June 2010 version installed is stable to use for what I'm doing. I got an error today (network adapter needed), but it didn't require a reboot.
Old 2011-10-24, 10:16 AM   #12
bigredneck

Cyberham,
When Dish changed their security system, a lot of fta units came up for sale. I bought several, in one lot, very very cheap off of craigslist . If you pay shipping I'll give you one of these sonicview units. Keep in mind it'll be one that I have not cleaned up or used. So I have no idea what firmware is loaded on it. I'll be glad to hook it up and make sure it works, but you'll have to clean it up if needed. Send PM if you're interested. They are not HD .
Old 2011-10-25, 08:17 PM   #13
cyberham

Thanks for the offer. My Sonicview is useable until I go for a newer version but different brand of receiver. I'm not interested in spending more to get another Sonicview.