Rogers Analogue to Digital Migration - Read Post 1 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-01-24, 12:41 PM   #61
Paolo
Veteran

If you want to receive ANY signals as per your cable subscription package (standard definition) you need the free DTA adaptor, if you want to recive HD tv signals, you need to buy or rent an HD box.

If you have no box at all, you will get next to no channels any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-24, 04:02 PM   #62
jlet
Veteran

Also see this FAQ (Can I get Digital Cable (and HD) Using My QAM Tuner?): http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271
... and this post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2012-01-24, 11:39 PM   #63
JamesK
Veteran

Do i need the CISCO DTA?
Unless you have a STB, you're only getting analog. If you want HD, you need a HD STB.
Old 2012-02-09, 09:45 AM   #64
PFD

Can someone help me help my dad
My dad, who is old, got the DA set up. (A Rogers guy came and did it for him). He called me up at the crack of dawn this morning to tell me that whilst the TV works fine, he can't watch anything on the VCR. (he knows that you can' tape and watch something else, he's got an STB on another TV and knows how that works.) When he presses play on the VCR he gets a "cable interrupted. Call your cable company." message. Not sure if that's a default pop up from the box or the VCR. But that's not the issue anyways.

I'm going over after work, but it's been years since I"ve used a VCR and am trying to rememeber the right configuration. I'm sure it's something we're not doing right. IIRC...the cable goes into the adaptor. From there it goes in the VCR before the TV, or vice versa?
Old 2012-02-09, 09:50 AM   #65
whitbyterry

If I am correct, you won't be able to watch one show and record another any longer, with a VCR.

Basically you have to tune the VCR to channel 3 and then the DA controls what channel is being recorded.

Better off to move to a PVR.
Old 2012-02-09, 10:22 AM   #66

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

PFD: Per post 17 of this thread - STB and DTA connections FAQ. With a STB you can record an analogue channel while watching a digital one, assuming you connect everything properly per the FAQ. This is not possible with a DTA - also the DTA will not tune all the channels the STB can - only the previously analogue channels.

I don't know why your dad gets the "message" - perhaps the VCR and/or TV is not tuned to channel 3 or 4, or something else is not properly connected?:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

This is also discussed in the DTA FAQs on the Rogers site from post 1 of this thread.

As mentioned in the previous post and in the FAQ, the way to go is to get a PVR.
Old 2012-02-09, 12:13 PM   #67
PFD

Thanks guys. As I said, he knows he can't record a different channel, nor does he wants to. But he said he can't simply watch a pre-recorded program on his VCR. I think he's connected everything wrong, so I'm gonna go have a look. Just quickly, for a simple, basic connection...it's Cable-DA-VCR-TV, right?
Old 2012-02-09, 12:32 PM   #68
TorontoColin

That is the correct setup. Can he still watch live TV? Is it possible that he forgot that he can't tune channels using his VCR anymore?
Old 2012-02-09, 01:13 PM   #69
Paolo
Veteran

make sure to check the channel output on each device too. i know my parents loved putitng the vcr to channel 4 output, and sometimes they flick the switch buy mistake. so check the rf output of the dtv box and the vcr make sure they both on the same channel.
Old 2012-02-09, 02:31 PM   #70
PFD

yeah, he can watch live tv fine.

I'm sure it has to do with what Paolo said or a connection issue. I'll see when I get there. Thanks for the help. I'l report back.
Old 2012-02-09, 05:31 PM   #71
PFD

So thanks for all your help. Fixed it.

The problem was the guy from Rogers who came in yesterday to hook it up for my dad. Guy didn't look at anything. He grabbed the coax that went into the TV and put that into the DA. But the actual wall cable itself was still plugged into the VCR. Surprised that my dad was able to watch TV with the DA tuner that way.
All I did was unhook eveything the professional did and hook it up the proper way. we're all good now.
Old 2012-02-09, 05:56 PM   #72
bigoranget
Veteran

The reason your dad could watch live TV via the DTA is because the VCR was off. Once the VCR was turned on, the RF signal going into the DTA was interrupted causing the error message to display. Typically when the VCR is turned on, it modulates the signal as channel 3 or 4 when connected via coax. All other RF frequencies usually have severe interference or they don't work at all.
Old 2012-02-18, 06:16 PM   #73
pdqpat
Rookie

"...My guess is, no ROD, no HD, no IPG, no info, just tuning ability as though you were using your analogue tuner. You would be able to tune whatever SD channels you subscribe to."

I have one SD STB (standard definition set-top box) Rogers sold me. Now they are giving basic+ people a free Digital Adapter - just a dumb box with no 'guide' but still, it's free. fyi buying STBs breaks even with renting at about 2.5 yrs, even less for used.

My SD hard drive recorder (on a cable splitter) seems to have its days numbered. It records 70 hours to watch later. If the SD channels are just 1 to 29, it won't be worth using. A real loss for me.

Last edited by 57; 2012-02-18 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Links edited.
Old 2012-02-18, 06:50 PM   #74
ericball

I received the death of analog letter this week from Rogers and it made my dual-tuner TiVo very sad as it would no longer be able to record two shows. So I called Rogers to express that I was unhappy that they were taking away something of value to me for their benefit without decreasing my cost.

After a minor rant I was transferred over to customer service where I repeated my displeasure. As a result I was effectively given an HD PVR (8642-320) and an SD PVR (8300) for gratis for the next year (at least).

This does make me happy as although I have a decent MythTV setup for OTA, my wife can now watch NASCAR on Speed in HD. I could also see the via letterboxing of SD channels that I would eventually be replacing my TiVo in any case.

Unfortunately for my dual-tuner TiVo I have realized I don't need it anymore and it doesn't look like it's worth much on eBay either.

Last edited by 57; 2012-02-18 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Minor edit
Old 2012-02-18, 08:38 PM   #75
yyzlhr

You can still use your Tivo to record channels in the basic tier. Only channels above the basic tier are being transitioned to digital.

Last edited by 57; 2012-02-18 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed