CD tray won't stay open.... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2011-09-30, 11:15 AM   #1
BluPuk

Default CD tray won't stay open....

As part of my home theatre setup I have an old turntable, graphic EQ, and CD player. These are part of my old component stereo set from Fisher (Studio-Standard). I now have a nifty new stand and a great setup with a Harmony remote controller the whole works. Only issue now is that the CD tray on the CD player will not stay open. I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm getting fairly good at quickly stuffing the CD on the tray as it moves out then back in, BUT it's hit-and-miss as to whether or not the CD is properly seated. I've never heard of this issue before and maybe it's just caused by the age of the CD player, but any advice anyone? If this post is considered not on topic feel free to delete .
Thanks,

Blu
BluPuk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-09-30, 11:46 AM   #2
ScaryBob
Veteran

On most trays there is a sensor that detects pressure on the door. If it detects that the tray is being pushed in and then closes the door automatically. I'm guessing that that switch is being triggered as soon as the door reaches the end of travel. There may be dirt or damage that is holding the switch closed and triggering the door motor. It could also something really simple like a stuck switch that needs to be cleaned and have a little petroleum jelly to work correctly again. You may be able to see what is going on by simply taking off the CD case top. It could also be taken to a repair shop but that will likely cost $100 and up.
Old 2011-09-30, 12:03 PM   #3
PhotoJim

A workaround, if you can't fix it and prefer not to repair or replace the player, might be to turn it off once the tray is open. That will stop the tray from returning. Insert the CD, turn the player back on, and proceed.

You have nothing to lose to try to clean the switch, but it is probably easy enough to find a new CD player. Many people are ditching theirs as they shift to audio streaming.
PhotoJim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-01, 12:20 PM   #4
BluPuk

Quote:
PhotoJim
A workaround, if you can't fix it and prefer not to repair or replace the player, might be to turn it off once the tray is open. That will stop the tray from returning. Insert the CD, turn the player back on, and proceed.
That is brilliant, Mr. Jim! I have no idea why this didn't occur to me! Thanks very much.

Blu
Old 2011-10-01, 01:22 PM   #5

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Let us know if that works because turning off my CD/DVD player does not prevent the drawer from returning - it returns properly, then the player turns off. It may work if the unit is unplugged preventing it from completing a proper shutdown sequence. It would be make/model dependent.

You could try manually pulling the drawer out a bit further while it's off - some dust may have entered the drawer mechanism preventing it from opening fully, or from the sensor realizing that it's open all the way - causing it to re-close. Older equipment can often get dusty, sensors don't work, etc. I always try to use my older equipment every few months - VCR, LD, older DVD, turntable, etc. Letting it sit causes more problems than disuse. Some compressed air (not too violent) may also help.
Old 2011-10-01, 02:45 PM   #6
BluPuk

57 - yes it worked for me and I think I forgot to give the model number - it's a Fisher Studio-Standard model AD-813. I'm also going to try the other suggestions offered here to see if I can permanently fix the problem. You're right about the inactivity thing, BTW - this player had not been used for more than a year and it would not stay open sometimes the last time I used it. Now that I have been using it lately, it seems to take about 3 or 4 tries before it will stay open. Thanks to all for your help.

Blu

Last edited by BluPuk; 2011-10-01 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Boo-boo
Old 2011-10-01, 03:39 PM   #7
PhotoJim

You might want to avoid pressing the tray to make it close, once you get it working. I think it's better for the motor and sensors if you use the open/close button. It's worth a try, anyway.

Use your player lots - exercise that open/close button for a couple or three minutes every day. A little work might make the player work fine.

I had an ancient 1984-vintage CD player that was very fussy if not used regularly, but if I used it at least once a week or so it was perfect. I gave it away about four years ago. For all I know it could still be running somewhere.
PhotoJim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-03, 06:56 AM   #8
JamesK
Veteran

Quote:
it's a Fisher Studio-Standard model AD-813
My first CD player was also a Fisher and had that same problem. Perhaps it's common with them. However, I tossed that player years ago. I got tired of changing discs before the tray closed.
Old 2011-10-03, 09:43 AM   #9
Jake

My old Pioneer HTIB did the same thing. I would hold the tray open for a split second and drop the disc in. Sounds like a common problem. I wonder if you could easily disconnect the pressure sensor? That way only the Open/Close command would work. Or perhaps a good cleaning and lub is needed.
Old 2011-10-03, 11:50 AM   #10
CamDAB

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)

Does this happen by remote also (assuming the CD player has remote capability).

Sometimes the open/close buttons can become dirty themselves, and "double bounce" electrically. I've come across this before, but usually the result is it starts to open, then closes immediately. Trying to insert/extract a disc usually results in a scratched or cracked disc and sore fingers. :-(

Some players use microswitches and as others have correctly noted, dirty contacts cause a number of failure modes. Some do it optically (not as common) and those can become dirt encrusted, requiring cleaning.

Cameron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.