Shaw Gateway: Installation and setup discussion - Page 20 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Old 2012-01-14, 11:34 AM   #286
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I know they are trying to 'pre-provision' the boxes before installation in an effort to reduce install times and even possibly have a self-install option. Perhaps that is what happened in your case. That or there do seem to be a wide range of 'experiences' with how these units operate at any given location so it really could be hard to say.

Keep the reports coming though as we might be able to see a pattern emerge eventually.
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-17, 11:52 AM   #287
LD500

I'm sure I read this somewhere before but just did a search on Splitters and can't find the info. Can someone assist.

I have Shaw coming out to fix a Gateway installation issue. Think I have that fixed myself but we'll see.

While the tech is out, should I ask them to replace my splitters? Not sure if the existing ones were installed by me or Shaw a few years ago. They only are rated up to 1GHz.
We probably need to update the splitter/coax routing anyway.
Old 2012-01-17, 12:05 PM   #288
TechGuy8

My gateway installer replaced my 1 year old splitter with the same make/model splitter without asking. The splitter is not expensive when compared to a service call.
Old 2012-01-17, 12:27 PM   #289
LD500

Do you know if the splitter needs to be rated to > 1 GHz?
Old 2012-01-17, 12:48 PM   #290
CowtownBiomed

no need for greater than 1Gz...the MoCa filter is a 1Ghz low pass filter (blocks everything above 1Ghz)
So that would imply that everything inside the MoCa network will be running under the 1Ghz frequency..
Old 2012-01-17, 12:58 PM   #291
TechGuy8

The both splitters are rated between 5Mhz - 1GHz.

He replaced my 1-to-4 splitter with an 1-to-3 splitter. This splitter has two 7db outputs for my internet modem and the phone modem. The remaining 3db output is connected, thought a MoCA filter, to an 1-to-2 splitter. This gateway splitter has 3db input and outputs.

I don't know why the gateway circuit uses 3db splitter and not 7db.
Old 2012-01-17, 01:22 PM   #292
CowtownBiomed

Those markings indicate losses from the input, so(in your case) the gateway is getting a bit higher signal.
Old 2012-01-18, 02:56 PM   #293
Bluemp5

Default Install - Where?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I could not find it. Where exactly does Shaw install the Gateway? I thought i read something before about it being in a mechanical room? I don't have that in my townhouse. If it needs to be near the Shaw access box, then that is in my garage. But it's freezing cold there now, or very hot in the summer.

I think i am confused. Someone please explain to me where it gets installed.

Thanks!
Old 2012-01-18, 03:01 PM   #294
TechGuy8

The gateway can be installed anywhere in your home. You are right, hot and cold is not good for the hard drive.
Old 2012-01-18, 05:34 PM   #295
CobraGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
@Jetranger

I just picked up a Harmony 300, a cheaper device-centric Harmony closer to the old Atlas remotes. I am wondering if you continued to use the Moxi MR-1500T3 as the foundation for your codes when you created the PDF linked below, or if you received an update from Arris or Logitech on this? I couldn't find anything additional about this in my search.

I've got an older Harmony 880, but it was way too confusing for my family to use. I'm hoping that this 300 is simple enough for them, and for $25 it's worth the experiment...

Proof of research

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=284

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...0&postcount=60
Quick question...I have a Gateway install scheduled for this weekend and I'm in the process of updating my Harmony One but when I pick the Shaw MP2000 device, I don't see the "Zoom" command available in the command drop down list. Is the Zoom command something that must be learned from the Moxi Portal remote or did you guys have it available on your drop down? Thanks...
Old 2012-01-18, 05:35 PM   #296
JasonB

I would recommend placing the Gateway close to your cable modem if possible if you plan on making use of DLNA when that's enabled.

I'm not sure how this will work, but you'll either need to link them up or maybe even use the Gateway's built-in cable modem in place of your existing one.
Old 2012-01-18, 06:10 PM   #297
DigMay
Rookie

Modems are always tough to deal with.
Old 2012-01-18, 06:32 PM   #298
GWNorth

The "exit" button on the Harmony will behave the same as the zoom button on the Shaw portal remote with that MP2000 configuration.
Old 2012-01-18, 06:54 PM   #299
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

The Gateway modem will not be activated, from what I understand, so you will still require a separate unit as we have now.

As GWNorth states, the 'Exit' button should be mapped to the 'Zoom' function on the Shaw remote. I just tested it on my Harmony that I set up with that same code load and it is this way.
Old 2012-01-18, 09:39 PM   #300
CobraGuy

OK, thanks for the info. I'll just go with the default MP2000 load for now then tweak as I familiarize myself with Gateway/Portal interface functionality. U/G to BB50 and Gateway with 5 portals scheduled for Sunday...wish me luck!