Shaw Gateway: Installation and setup discussion - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Old 2011-12-05, 02:15 PM   #136
OakBankBart
Rookie

I have a harmony 890 with rf and I am able to control separate portals, but you need to set up each portal as a separate device and you need to use separate channels on your blaster unit.
I have one portal set up to use channel "A" and the other on "B"
Each device has it's own configuration, even though they are identical devices.
OakBankBart is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-07, 08:56 PM   #137
timmy77476
Rookie

Default shaw gateway hdmi thru receiver

im a newb around here and was hoping for a little help. Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong place. is anyone running hdmi from the portal thru there receiver and to the tv? ive never had a problem with any of my previous shaw boxes, the pace box or the dcx3400. my receiver is only a year old and does hdmi 1.4 3d . its a pioneer vsx821k , but when shaw was here they were unable to get it to work so now im running hdmi direct to the tv and an optical cable to my receiver.

im just curious if anyone was able to get the the portal to run hdmi thru the receiver to there tv? any suggestions? ive been on the phone with shaw and pioneer and no one seems to be able to help me

thanks for any help

tim
timmy77476 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-07, 09:12 PM   #138
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712
Default @timmy77476

Funny you should ask, I just installed a Denon AV receiver with 6 in 1 out, I have the Portal connected through it to my Samsung UN60D8000 and it works perfectly . I also have an XBox, PS3, Patriot Box Office and a Samsung BD player all are working (audio & video) seamlessly through my Harmony One remote.
Old 2011-12-07, 09:18 PM   #139
timmy77476
Rookie

thanks reboot

my xbox 360 and my bluray player still work perfectly , its just th enew portal i cant get to work.

can i ask what model your denon is? maybe ill just upgrade my receiver
Old 2011-12-07, 09:22 PM   #140
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712

It is an AVR-1712, picked it up at Future Shop for $329.99, couldn't pass it up
Reboot is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-07, 10:53 PM   #141
timmy77476
Rookie

cant find that one anywhere for under 400 if you see that deal again please let me know thanks

or if anyone has a solution to the problem with the pioneer receiver id love to hear it
Old 2011-12-07, 11:45 PM   #142
raypundo

I just got the Gateway and run a Pioneer VSX-1018AH without any issue using HDMI.
Old 2011-12-10, 03:24 AM   #143
Bobafart

I just won a Gateway and a Portal.

I currently have one of the Arris PVRs from a couple of years ago.

Can I switch things over myself to install the new Portal/Gateway or do I have to book a tech to come over?

If I have to book .. say I book tomorrow (Sat Dec 10)... how long would it take a tech to come install the gateway/portal on average?

thanks
Bobafart is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-10, 01:04 PM   #144
Minshull
Rookie

Congrats on your win!
Quote:
If I have to book .. say I book tomorrow (Sat Dec 10)... how long would it take a tech to come install the gateway/portal on average?
My daughter is having hers installed today - 2 weeks since signup.
Mine gets installed next Sunday - again about 2 weeks since signup.
The lady my wife spoke to siad to expect the tech to be here for 5-6 hours, but most threads here have indicated much less time. My house has all the cabling and wiring already in place, which I'm sure is the norm. I bet the 5-6 hour estimate is worst case scenario.
Minshull is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-10, 02:00 PM   #145
cdncableguy

Definitely a worse case scenario. It does vary from house to house depending on what needs to be done.
Old 2011-12-10, 02:10 PM   #146
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafart View Post
I just won a Gateway and a Portal.
Wow, how did you manage to do that? Where was the contest?
EDIT: I found the answer in your other post. Congratulations.

Quote:
I currently have one of the Arris PVRs from a couple of years ago.
Do you mean a Pace PVR as I don't believe Shaw has ever offered another Arris box before this one?

Quote:
Can I switch things over myself to install the new Portal/Gateway or do I have to book a tech to come over?
You will have to book an install and they will be able to tell you when it will be when you call Shaw, as previously stated.
Old 2011-12-10, 05:11 PM   #147
linz8392

Default Shaw Gateway and Harmony 650 Remote

Just a quick question. Is there a way to program one of the extra buttons on the Harmony (the red, green, yellow or blue) to get it to make the Shaw Gateway do a 5 minute skip?

I dont want to make my actual "skip" button do a 5 minute skip...i want that button to do the 30 second skip.

Any thoughts?

thanks
linz8392 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-10, 06:14 PM   #148
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Sadly, no. The skip length is programmed into the command function rather than the actual command. I agree it would be nice to have the option of more skip durations but since the standard remote is not programmable, I guess they figured we'd be 'happy' with the couple of options they gave us.
Old 2011-12-10, 06:23 PM   #149
Bobafart

so can the portals be used to extend a home wifi network yet?

if not any idea when?
Bobafart is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-10, 06:48 PM   #150
FenderF4i

I need to figure out how I want everything installed and where. Am I correct in understanding that I can have the gateway unit and internet modem installed at the same wall outlet? Would they install a wall jack with two coaxial nodes on it?
FenderF4i is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.