3Web/CIA becomes Distributel - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-09-20, 08:00 PM   #1
Yroc

Default 3Web/CIA becomes Distributel

Hope to see some improvements as a result of this. Sometimes 3Web service is fast as could be (i.e 25mbps) but at peak times it can sometimes be slow (i.e 3mbps instead of 15). I have always considered switching to TS, but have never bothered.

Quote:
3web/CIA becomes Distributel

Over the course of September 2011, Internet Service Provider 3web/CIA will become known as Distributel. Our entire team, including both Distributel and 3web/CIA divisions, is extremely excited about this transition. Why? Because it means good things for our customers.

Why the change to Distributel?

We know that by merging all of our companies under the Distributel brand, we’ll be able to offer competitive prices, faster speeds and superior service to all of our customers. Distributel, as an Internet Service Provider, has learned a great deal from the 3web group of companies (including CIA and Cybersurf). This decision was not taken lightly – it was made with our customers in mind. Pooling our resources means achieving greater efficiency, increasing our knowledge pool and becoming better at what we do: providing top-tier telecom services to meet every need and budget.

If I’m a 3web/CIA customer, what does this mean for me?

In the short term, you will continue to have access to your MyAccount portal and you will not notice any material change in your services, aside from improvements to network stability, customer service and support. There are nothing but good things to look forward to! In the long term, you will become a Distributel customer – logos on your invoices will eventually change as will the look and feel of your MyAccount portal. You will be given plenty of notice of these and other changes so that there are no surprises.
If you are a 3web/CIA customer and have questions or concerns, feel free to Contact Us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-04, 11:02 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

I'm curious if anyone has feedback on the new 3WEB/CIA.

In the past, the problems and poor customer service have led to most people around here abandoning them.

Any updates?
Old 2011-11-04, 11:13 AM   #3
cybercat

I started with Cyberus (dial up then, DSL after a while) a very long time ago. They were eventually a pert of CIA/Cybersurf and then Distributel. Over the years, I've had a few issues here and there, but they were taken care of in a "reasonable (to me) period of time".

This may be because I always called the (old) Cyberus support telephone number. They seemed more "on the ball" than the folk at CIA.

I'm hoping my contract will be grandfathered once again.

- Bill H.

Last edited by cybercat; 2011-11-04 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add detail re: support
Old 2011-11-04, 08:09 PM   #4
jeneral

I'm with 3web on Cable and in my area the performance has improved by quantum leaps. Evenings used to be painful but in the past month some upgrade was performed in the area that has made me a very happy camper.

The only thing that concerns me with the switch is the modem issue/price. Distributel includes the modem rental with their price (I own my modem). 3web is also cheaper for the same packages.
Old 2011-11-05, 01:11 AM   #5
cptmds

Here in Quebec, 3web/CIA/whoever cable internet is simply Videotron's "High Speed Internet" package, but at a significantly lower cost (really bad caps and all). I have had a few issues, but they have all involved Videotron doing maintenance, and it has never lasted more than a day. Usually, there isn't a single outage for a good 8-10 months, then a 1-2 month period where there are between 2-4.

Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, not long ago I had a good 2 years without a single interruption (to my knowledge).

My two complaints involve their billing (which seems to be okay for now) and their lack of notification of any kind - i.e. when Videotron raised their (horrendous) caps (to slightly less horrendous, but still horrible) levels, I received no notification whatsoever. At some point I had figured out the equivalent Videotron package based on my speeds, and assumed that any changes to it would apply to me. This includes the 1mbps increase in download speeds put forward by Videotron - which I received - but for which I was never informed about.

Still, for the price, I can't complain.
Old 2011-11-05, 03:27 AM   #6
Yroc

Hugh my experience with them seems to mimic your reservations in large part with TS. I keep them as a provider because they have no caps, but they (well them and Rogers) are slow at making upgrades to their network.

On 15 Mbps service in Ottawa and often get 25+Mbps, but also often get 7 Mbps and at times as low as 3.
Old 2011-11-09, 08:25 PM   #7
recond
Rookie

I contacted 3web/CIA a few months back to see if I would be able to use their voip service ($4/month) with existing hosted PBX and existing ATA. After finally getting a support rep that told me it would work, I was planning on signing up despite hearing all the horror stories on their service. I was going to try them out as they were the only voip provider that has 807 numbers.

I contacted them again shortly after the distributel acquisition to sign up for the service and was informed that they no longer serve my area... the same area that 3web/CIA had their support office. Apparently they have no plans of offering support in "such a small community" any time soon according to the rep I spoke to.
Old 2011-11-10, 11:20 PM   #8
Moose57

Default Now Cable Internet in Western Canada???

Gee Whiz, I had CIA cable internet on the Shaw Calgary plant for several years after I left Shaw, just to spite them and not be with a greedy ISP (Shaw).
CIA was fine and never had any issues when they transfered to the new name.
Just 1 prolononged outage that was a bit unbearable due to a Shaw malfunction.

I ended up at the telco as it seemed comparable.

I'm sure with the new resources, thimgs will be fine.

I've previously posted about how I felt they were a positive alternative to Shaw.
Sure, I didn't get all the bloatware and extras, I didn't need them anyways, so no point in paying for it either.

All I want is a decent on-ramp and they provided that at a very fair price.