CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code update to iS2 & iS2+ - Page 76 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-22, 01:59 PM   #1126
GWNorth

Think of the bugs that would come with a Shaw supplied Wife.

Shaw's definition of soon and mine don't come close to matching. We are a couple of days past the 5 month anniversary of the last update.

JetRanger, you mentioned that they may do a double release when they finally do the release. I'm guessing someone thought they would save some testing time by testing the bug fix release in conjunction with a new feature release and when the inevitable bugs in the new feature release was found, it delayed the release of the bug fixes since it wasn't tested separately. I've seen this attempted many times. Skipping steps almost never saves time.
GWNorth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-22, 02:20 PM   #1127
probc

A big problem in my opinion is this forums seems to be a bunch of us ranting about all the difficulties and bugs with this platform, and no one at Shaw is taking notice, or cares for that matter. They are getting paid by us every month, and continue to sucker new clients onto the system regardless of just how problematic it is.

Until we all band together and threaten to stop paying, or convert to something else, Shaw will continue to take their time in dealing with the problems. Any smart tech. company that builds software driven systems would be rapidly releasing patches to address any identified and reproduceable bug as soon as possible. It is ridiculous to stock pile a bunch of bug fixes into single large rollouts (making all users suffer along the way). When ever this 'promised' update is actually released, it will also be riddled with issues, and we will still all be upset. Then it will take another 5 or 6 months to get all the new bugs resolved.

If anyone from Shaw actually does read these forums, and they have any degree of authority within the company, do something about this! Start making us happy, and get the bug fixes released. Then activate the other features right away as well. You 'meaning Shaw' are way overdue with the smart phone apps, web-based management, DLNA, etc. Your competitors are absolutely surpassing you in this regard.

One last note - why does Shaw not actively participate within these forums, and/or run their own customer driven support forum system? I suppose they probably don't want future unsuspecting clients to see all these problems before committing to becoming beta testers for Shaw as well. Who knows.

Oh yeah! Did I mention their accounting is horrendous as well? Different topic though.
probc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-22, 03:57 PM   #1128
downbeat

A few posts moved to a thread called "Pulling the plug on Gateway — or thinking about it"
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=150993
Thanks,
downbeat
downbeat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-22, 06:58 PM   #1129
downbeat

@probc: If you've spent any amount of time here, you'd know Shaw reps are all over this forum and *do* respond to enquiries from forum members.
downbeat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-22, 11:19 PM   #1130
JasonB

@probc I understand where you're coming from, and I too expect that level of responsiveness from companies like Google or even Autodesk (though maybe only a couple times a year). However, I expect Shaw to be far more cautious in their deployments.

I would be incredibly upset if they pushed out bad firmware that either bricked my Gateway (don't laugh; it happened to a lot of people in early January), or that crippled their delivery network because of unexpected load. The scope of Shaw's responsibility over their client's devices and network, combined with their reliance on a third-party company (Arris) for programming changes is such that they just can't be as responsive as you expect.
JasonB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-23, 12:40 AM   #1131
probc

Alright, I have to admit I'm a little quick to get all over Shaw like this, however I'm quite bitter with them right now over billing issues, and the PVR failing on me with recordings and them not accepting any degree of fault over the hardware causing the problem. They over charged me two months in a row now, and wont admit that the gateway system has issues (at least to me). Because of this I have become very sour towards the platform.

I'll try to ease up a bit, and just hope for the best.
probc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-23, 02:49 AM   #1132
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

There is always the 'Rant' thread that you can pretty much post anything you want in. Just don't go using expletives. It's a great place to 'vent' about Shaw when things aren't going your way. Most of us have had problems, at one time or another, and it has been a real pressure reliever without anyone who reads posts there getting upset with what you say. After all, that is what that thread is for.
Old 2012-02-23, 02:50 AM   #1133
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

^ Hi probc, my apologies I haven't read the last few pages of this thread for a few days. I have sent you a pm and would very much like to help you with your billing concerns.

At this time I can not provide an update timeline to the next firmware release however, personally I suspect soon. Regarding the features you mentioned earlier; rest assured there are different teams working on different aspects such as Web/Cell Apps, Gateway Apps (or "cards" as we sometimes call them (the icons in the menu wheel) ) and testing of features.

Just a couple of weeks ago I can share that we had visitors from Arris meeting with teams across some of our call centers to listen to feedback from our tech agents and customer calls on Gateway. These were quite senior people wanting to see/hear feelings/feedback as they come in real time.

We linked them this thread to read and went over the dozens of pages from the first update thread. They took away tons of info and thoughts on the direction that Shaw would like to go with the Gateway. Unfortunately I can't say much more than that at this time. But I did want to put it out there that we totally respect the user, the customer. You keep us in business and we never forget that everyday. There are many passionate people working on many aspects of the Gateway and we hope over this year and those to come we deliver on your expectations.
Old 2012-02-26, 12:55 AM   #1134
Grover

I called Shaw today and got someone knowledgeable who explained that I had the December version of software that included a bug that kept it from updating. He pushed out the latest software and (for now) the freezing/lagging issues that I've had since October when skipping or fast forwarding seem to be resolved. Also, menus seem to be loading faster and VOD problems haven't popped up yet. I'll check-in in a couple of days to let you know if things stay so rosy.

Cheers!

Last edited by Grover; 2012-02-26 at 02:55 AM.
Grover is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-26, 01:24 AM   #1135
bevster

Hey Grover I had the same thing, some December update that kept it from updating. So they forced through an update and so far I have noticed I can skip forward and back, while watching a recording, without it freezing. =)
bevster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-26, 02:04 PM   #1136
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712

Can someone (Jetranger?) please advise latest software version?
I am still showing 7.0.1b.9X5R-P.342538 dated Dec 13

From reading the previous posts are we missing an update?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 2012-02-26, 02:16 PM   #1137
TechGuy8

There was a minor update around mid Jan. 7.0.1b.9G5BR-P.342538
Here is my post 1039 on this thread --> http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...postcount=1039

@downbeat,
It will be helpful to members if you can update the first post with the latest gateway and portal firmware version.
TechGuy8 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-26, 02:56 PM   #1138
sailorickm

Location: Calgary, AB ShawGateway & 3 Portals, Shaw 1TB Expander, Sony 3D KDL-46HX729, HTSF470, 2 BDPS580

That doesn't make sense to me. My versions are:

Gateway 7.0.1b.9G5BR-P.342538
Portal 7.0.1b.9X5R-P.342538

and they were installed when I first got my system on Dec 20. Note that the numbers at the end match (P.342538).

For the Shaw tech rep to say there was an update Jan 18 that gave you gateway version P.342538 can't be right. I think maybe your system just didn't have the current version and they forced it out to you. It can't be new as of Jan 18 if I've had it since Dec 20! Unless, of course, they updated they software without changing the version number, but that's not very likely.
sailorickm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-26, 03:08 PM   #1139
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712

Thanks for the replies, ya, I think we have the latest as well , I suspect the diference in upload date is due to the territory we in in.
Old 2012-02-26, 03:18 PM   #1140
sailorickm

Location: Calgary, AB ShawGateway & 3 Portals, Shaw 1TB Expander, Sony 3D KDL-46HX729, HTSF470, 2 BDPS580

Two people have posted that they had their software pushed out and their ffwd/rwd/skip works without freezing now. I have the latest versions but I have all the typical problems with ffwd/rwd/skip. Doesn't make sense either.

BTW, a trick that works sometimes:

When the picture freezes after 1, 2 or 3 presses of the FFWD key, I've found that if I press PLAY it will either do nothing and stay frozen, immediately switch to play mode but at least be unstuck, or actually unfreeze and fast-forward. I haven't kept track but maybe half the time it will begin to fast-forward.

Give it a try and see if it helps. At least you get to feel like you're doing something!
sailorickm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.