OTA NETWORK Status: GlobalTV - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Station & Network Operational Status

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-09-29, 09:49 AM   #31
acadien

Default CIII Paris (CH6)

Jase88, I have not noticed the audio/video loss, but since the transition to digital, I have noticed a momentary hesitation when tuning to this channel every time (this is on my LG tv)
acadien is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-09-29, 09:54 AM   #32
micah

Mine too, but I just figured it was because I'm so far away and the signal is my weakest.
Old 2011-10-18, 06:45 PM   #33
Jase88

Exclamation

I wasn't having any luck contacting Global TV through their normal channels (email, telephone, website) regarding the station and PSIP issues. So I reached out to Sean O'Shea, and he responded immediately.

Sean promised to escalate the technical issues directly to Paul Thomas, the head of engineering at Global. I hope to have an update by Thursday.

The transmitter issues I'm referring to are the audio/video dropouts on channel 6 Paris and 22 Stevenson. I believe there are similar problems with channel 6 Ottawa.

I'll keep the forum posted.
Old 2011-10-18, 09:46 PM   #34
micah

Ty, Jase!
Old 2011-10-20, 04:57 PM   #35
Schmerpy

Does anyone know when we will see EPG data on Global Toronto?

I'd rather watch Canadian stations, but as it is I usually record from the Buffalo stations just because otherwise I don't have titles in my list of recorded programs! Adding EPG data is a simple way to attract more viewers for your advertisers...
Schmerpy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-25, 03:52 PM   #36
Jase88

I continue to be astounded by the extreme difficulty one encounters when attempting to communicate OTA issues with stations/networks. Unfortunately, Global is no exception.

My concerns were regarding signal issues with channel 6 Paris and 22 Stevenson. And the lack of PSIP EPG data. I intend to also raise the status of the Ottawa transmitter, and how it's current technical parameters are woefully inadequate for the Ottawa area.

After not receiving any responses from web form and voicemail messages, I reached out to Sean O'Shea at Global. Sean is an investigative reporter for Global who focuses on consumer rights.

Sean responded to me immediately and promised to follow up with Paul Thomas, head of engineering for Ontario at Global. Sean even provided me with his personal cell number, and invited me to contact him directly if my concerns were not addressed. Needless to say, I am very pleased with Sean's commitment to addressing these concerns.

While I've yet to hear back from Engineering at Global, Sean has indicated that he's been privy to internal emails which indicate they're actively investigating. I'll keep the forum updated on the progress.
Old 2011-10-25, 05:59 PM   #37
flavoie

I decided to call the digitaltv.gc.ca site phone number about Global Ottawa today. I was pleasantly surprised to get an understanding person on the line from Canadian Heritage. It sounds like specific discussions happened with the CRTC and CRTC doesn't want to police low emitting stations because it would cost too much.

The Canadian Heritage person did mention one interesting tidbit - there are Consumer associations that can push these issues forward. I don't know if I can post the link, but the link I was given was to Union des Consommateurs. I filled their online form about post-transition reception.
flavoie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-31, 12:29 PM   #38
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

Just wanted to mention.

There are some posts in another thread, which I think might suggest a possible solution for receiving a troublesome Channel 6, with interfereing FM signals coming from the same direction. (ie. like the Global issue)

A specific channel 5 yagi - or something close to that design.

In thread:

Delhi 5y & 10y Channel Cut VHF Yagis - Saved From Oblivion For DIYers

Reference:
Post # 111 by 300Ohm - characteristic graphs for the ch 5 yagi - showing the roll off in the FM.

Post # 115 - suggestion by myself
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...85#post1342985

They have some graphs showing some characteristics for a Delhi specific cut channel 5 YAGI that look like an interesting possibility (to me) for a test.

Theory / Question / Possible Experiment:

Would a Delhi 5Y5s or 10Y5s, cut channel yagi for channel 5, or something close to that design, receive channel 6 well enough, and cut down FM at the same time - in order to better receive those troublesome Global signals on channel 6 ? ( ex. Ottawa and Paris?)

Use a channel 5 specific cut yagi, or something close that design, to receive channel 6, and at the same time cut down the interfereing FM from the same direction - based on the characteristic roll off of that sort of antenna, shown in the graphs, for the interfereing FM. (?)
mrvanwinkles is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-31, 12:31 PM   #39
flavoie

Default Subwoofer impact on channel 6 CIII-Ottawa

I made a huge discovery today. I had my subwoofer turned off due to some receiver testing. This morning I got Global CIII at SNR of 22, I thought it was unusually high since when I got it, it was not day time and it was barely making it, very marginal. I turn the sub back ON, and Global goes between 0 and marginal.

What i'm wondering is if the subwoofer interferes with channel 6 reception at my antenna, at my tuner(s) or both.

I really must have a marginal signal coming in to see a subwoofer interfere like this.
flavoie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-02, 08:07 PM   #40
jihenry

My TV has suddenly started picking up an SD version of Global on 6.2 (CIII-Ottawa) as well as the HD version on 6.1. When it is working that is, reception of Global for me today is not good with only about 15dB SNR which is borderline for my TVs tuner. Anyone else seeing the same thing either in Ottawa or on the other Global stations?
Old 2011-11-02, 08:26 PM   #41
brantford bill

jihenry - ya just noticed here tonight that global 41 from toronto now has a SD sub channel 41.2 never seen that before, but it actually seems to be a stronger signal not weaker, wonder whats the deal with the SD channel?
Old 2011-11-02, 08:27 PM   #42
rob50312

Yes global Toronto 41.1 and 41.2 now showing up.No useful guide data ever.
Old 2011-11-02, 09:31 PM   #43
goforit
Veteran

Default 41.2

Yup, 41.2 SD is coming in. Don't know about Paris 6 having a sub. Who said subs would never happen in Canada?
Old 2011-11-02, 10:10 PM   #44
majortom
Veteran

Wow, isn't that sumthin. Thought I'd never see the day.
Nice that they are using the technology now
Old 2011-11-02, 10:46 PM   #45
OttawaGuy999

In Ottawa, we also get 41.2 SD but it should be 6.2 SD.
OttawaGuy999 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.