OTA NETWORK Status: CTV & CTV2 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Station & Network Operational Status

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-09-30, 03:27 PM   #61
Paulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalofan19 View Post
CKVR (RF 10) 3-1. The transmitter is in Barrie, north of Toronto.
Thanks

paul
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-01, 04:47 AM   #62
Phil81

Thumbs down

Well, still getting that never ending light to moderate pixellation and occasional brief sound dropouts on the local CTV2 OTA station (CHWI-DT RF16) out of Wheatley. You could still watch a program but it would definitely not be enjoyable. It's especially bad during programming that features lots of motion.

Brief history on this:
After waiting 3+ weeks to see if they would find the problem and fix it, I then sent a email to Don Mumford last Thursday morning (Sep 22) and throughly explained that CHWI 16 was having constant pixellation problems ever since the digital flashcut on Aug 31, and was the only CTV2 station in the region that had this problem. (When compared to CFPL-DT,Windsor's CHWI-DT26, both have no problems whatsoever). I also mentioned that some DHC members here reported a similar problem with CHRO in Ottawa which was not a signal strength problem at the receiving locations.

Later that morning I got a reply stating that he was actually unaware of these problems and would send a carbon copy my e-mail to both Mark Schembri (Manager
of Engineering and IT) and Arnold DeRoy (Broadcast Technician responsible for CTV Windsor) for further investigation. I got no further replies from anyone after this.

I checked CHWI-16 on Friday (Sep 23) around noon and found that the pixellation/sound problems had totally been fixed and the station was working properly for the first time! However, late that night around midnight, whatever they had done didn't last and it went all to hell again.

Here it is now 7 days later and still nothing has changed. I guess they don't consider this more rural OTA transmitter very important over at CTV.

Who knows... could we be stuck with this permanently here in eastern Essex county/Chatham-Kent?

Here's the addresses for names listed above:
Don.Mumford@bellmedia.ca
Mark.Schembri@bellmedia.ca
Arnold.DeRoy@bellmedia.ca
Old 2011-10-02, 03:01 PM   #63
laurienicol

Default CIVI still doesn't stay tuned.

Laurie in Ladner BC with a CM4228 and a 2005 Panasonic Viera TV.

Okay, I posted this before, but I think there is still something wrong with the signal.

I get CIVI, which is CTV 2, on channel 17 remapping to 17.1 like it should. 90% signal and stable.
Shut off the TV and turn it on again, I get a poor quality signal message for 17.1, everytime!

As per suggestions, I have re-scanned for the Canadian channels to the north and got 17.1 and then added the other channels manually.

No matter what I do, even with the really strong signal from Mt. Seymour, I have to re-add channel 17 and make it re-map to17.1, even though my TV says it should be already be there.
laurienicol is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-02, 03:32 PM   #64
majortom
Veteran

Hi laurie,

Quote:
I get CIVI, which is CTV 2, on channel 17 remapping to 17.1 like it should. 90% signal and stable. Shut off the TV and turn it on again, I get a poor quality signal message for 17.1, everytime!
Nowhere near you, but I have one TV that I bought to use as a PC Monitor, where it displays that quite often even just flipping channels. It seems very slow to tune, and slow to change signal quality indications. One thing I've found that helps it along is to tune an analog signal, then tune a digital channel, even if the analog is just snow. i.e. - try tuning analog ch 37 manually, then see how it behaves flipping thru digital channels again.
Old 2011-10-02, 07:01 PM   #65
recneps77
Veteran

I get that sometimes with 9.1 CTV
If it was the last station on before turning off, when I turn it on again it says no signal. I have to go another channel and back for it to show.
Only happens with CTV.
It's a minor inconvenience I've chalked up to tuner incompatibility. It's better than the worst kind of incompatibility - when it doesn't tune at all
recneps77 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-10-07, 05:52 PM   #66
jihenry

is it just me or has CTV2 stopped providing guide data in PSIP? all CTV2 in Ottawa gives for me in my guide is "CHRO Program" every hour over and over again each hour of the day.
Old 2011-10-07, 05:56 PM   #67
Jase88

I've checked CFPL London (CTV2), and I see good guide data there. This must be an issue local to the Ottawa CTV2 station?
Old 2011-10-10, 10:53 AM   #68
brantford bill

Default CTV 2 Hamilton Repeater?

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on the progress of the CTV 2 application for that hamilton/fonthill repeaters? Just wondering if anyones heard any progress on there application?
Old 2011-10-22, 11:52 PM   #69
jihenry

Default Guide data still missing in action on CTV2 Ottawa

I have sent email to CTV2 Ottawa asking them when they are going to fix their guide data which has been saying nothing but "CHRO Program" for the last 2-3 weeks now. I assume it is still working on the other CTV2 stations?
Old 2011-10-23, 12:03 AM   #70
Jase88

The guide data appears to be accurate on CTV2 London (CFPL). No issues that I've noticed...
Old 2011-10-28, 10:58 AM   #71
jihenry

I haven't had any response yet from CTV2 about the missing guide on CTV2 Ottawa (CHRO) but I notice this morning that it is working again with full guide data after 3 weeks or so of showing just CHRO Program.
Old 2011-10-29, 08:32 PM   #72
Jase88

Default CTV2 Repeaters: Hamilton & Font Hill UPDATE

Brantford Bill: I've been watching the process unfold via the CRTC website.

Thus far, there have been interventions from most--if not all--of the other stations/networks in the GTA, all of which are in opposition for various reasons. There was also an intervention from an individual in the Niagara area opposing the application.

In my opinion, the opposition of the other stations/networks appears weak at best. Effectively they offer a hypocritical argument.

The individual's point is basically that the Barrie station is of no value or relevance to Niagara residents, considering that a local station application was previously denied for this region.

What concerns me about this application is Channel Zero's about face with regards to consideration of Bell Media's request to lease tower space on their Stoney Creek facilities.

Without tower space, Bell Media will need to modify their plans. And this may delay the process.

We should know more early in the new year.
Old 2011-10-30, 10:47 PM   #73
mrplow

CIVI-DT2 in Victoria has been switch from 23.1 to 53.1 so says schedules direct. I'm still getting it in with rf 23, PSIP 23.1. SD said wikipedia's page said the switch has already happened, so perhaps any day now it could happen.
Old 2011-11-13, 06:42 PM   #74
BCF

Question CTV CKCO-TV-3 repeater from Oil Springs / Sarnia

Does anyone have news regarding CTV's CKCO-TV-3 repeater (channel 42 analog) from Oil Springs/Sarnia converting to digital broadcasting?

It's has been almost impossible lately to pickup CKCO from Kitchener here in London. For London and area, it would be great if this channel was scheduled to be converted to digital.
BCF is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-14, 12:10 PM   #75
dsspredator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
What concerns me about this application is Channel Zero's about face with regards to consideration of Bell Media's request to lease tower space on their Stoney Creek facilities.
Why don't they apply for RF 40 on the CN Tower?
dsspredator is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.