A knife sharpener recommendation - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2011-09-02, 09:26 PM   #1
Jake

Default A knife sharpener recommendation

I am a bit overwhelmed by the variety that is out there. Does anyone here sharpen their knifes or blades anymore? Do you have a favorite sharpener? I need more than a honing steel. I have a 2 stage whetstone but time being a precious commodity these days I want to get a decent electric or manual sharpener. I am looking mainly for my kitchen knives and a handful of non-serrated blades. Filleting blades, hunting knifes, pocket knives etc. I prefer a 2 or 3 stage units. Being left-handed a have a few right-handed paring knifes that I plan to edge. So something fairly course to start with.

I have looked at a few online. Namely Waring Pro KS80 and the Presto 08810. Chefs Choice make so many it is hard to figure out the difference between a $30 unit and a $230 unit.
Advertisement

Old 2011-09-02, 10:07 PM   #2
Tezster
Veteran

I'm certainly not an expert, but from what I've read, many knife sharpeners themselves begin to wear out after time, so is there really a significant benefit in buying an expensive unit? In my case, I only cook occasionally and don't own an expensive knife set. I bought myself a an ultra-cheap 2-stage manual Edgeware knife sharpener. They cost me $7 each and if they wear out quickly, so what? I just replace it with another one. They're also very compact so I can easily put it out of the way when not in use.

I've also heard very good things about the Furi 'diamond fingers' type sharpeners - Rachel Ray markets one under her brand name, and they're also quite inexpensive. But I've read some reviews indicating that these may also wear out quickly.
Old 2011-09-02, 10:22 PM   #3
Jake

The wheels are replaceable on some units. I have not priced the replacement wheels but if it like everything else sold today the wheels will cost more than a completely new sharpener.

But good tip. It is hard to tell the quality or durability of a $7 item over the internet so I appreciate your feedback. My cleaver has a few dings in it. Do you think it could remove them? I also have a few Japanese and German knives. I suspect the steel is quite hard. not your typical Canadian Tire knife set. The edges are certainly finer.
Old 2011-09-02, 10:41 PM   #4
Tezster
Veteran

Have you looked into getting your knives professionally sharpened? It may be an option worth exploring. Many of them will also perform repairs if the 'dings' can't be removed by sharpening. Perhaps a combination of regular in-home sharpening and periodic professional sharpening is something that would work in your case.

You could ask restaurants you frequent where they get theirs sharpened (or just do a quick Google search for ones in your area). I'm sure they can also offer you better advice on what knife sharpeners to get than I can
Old 2011-09-03, 12:14 AM   #5
Jake

I am a DIY kinda guy. Plus I have about 20 I want to do.
Old 2011-09-03, 08:28 AM   #6
hugh
Member #1

Jake, on the weekend, we were at friends who have a gorgeous collection of kitchen cutting knives. He's a science teacher and does his research. They use a small knife sharpener from Lee Valley Tools which they swear by. I was actually going to buy it myself.

Might be worth considering as Lee Valley is noted for quality products.
Old 2011-09-03, 09:52 AM   #7
Jake

Hehe. I was actually looking at their two stage sharpener online. I may swing by the store this weekend and see for myself. Great to hear someone else likes it.
Old 2011-09-03, 12:34 PM   #8
Deckster

You can also try checking out a local restaurant supply store. Many sell to the public, carry better (and less expensive) products than typical "kitchen stores". They will be able to steer you towards a product that can do what you need (often if they don't even carry them).
Old 2011-09-03, 01:12 PM   #9
Jake

Quote:
local restaurant supply store
Hmm. At one time I called one place looking for butane canisters and they said they don't sell retail.
Old 2011-09-03, 07:44 PM   #10
bgclarke
Veteran

We get a lot of our stuff from Hendrix in Ottawa.

They carry a lot of high end knives, but I didn't notice if they carry sharpeners (was too busy drooling over the MAC knives ).
Old 2011-09-03, 08:17 PM   #11
Jake

Oh nice website too. They do carry a few nice sharpeners too.
Old 2011-09-04, 10:30 AM   #12
jayoldschool
Veteran

I recently bought this at Canadian Tire:

Henckels Knife Sharpener
Product #42-7543-6

It was on sale for 9.99 so I thought I would give it a test and return it if it wasn't great. To my surprise, it works perfectly. I had knives that were struggling to cut a tomato nicely, and with a couple of swipes through the sharpener, the knife is as good as new. I was ready to buy a new set of knives, but don't need to now.
Old 2011-09-04, 01:48 PM   #13
recneps77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Hmm. At one time I called one place looking for butane canisters and they said they don't sell retail.
Find one that will give you business, then.
I've bought from a couple around here, no questions asked.
Quality products at reasonable prices. None of this 'crappy tire' stuff
Old 2011-09-04, 02:04 PM   #14
Jake

I thank you both. Actually CT carries some of the same products as Hendrix. Hendrix is one block away from Lee Valley so I will be able to compare.
Old 2011-09-07, 03:53 PM   #15
nobsplease

Default Commie Knife Sharpening

Hey Jake, do any of your friends have good steel, too? If so, it's worth while to buy a good electric knife sharpener. Like this one, maybe.

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Chef-s-Ch...ner-BLACK.html

and

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equi...entdocid=10602

It's expensive for one household to buy, but if you have 10 good knives you're going to spend $60-$80 a year on professional sharpening anyway, so go in with a buddy and get a top-rated electric. The second and subsequent years are gravy. Wheel replacement won't be necessary for years. This model takes care of both European and Asian knives.