Food/HGTV Schedules - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-03-25, 10:25 AM   #1
swansongtoo

Default Food/HGTV Schedules

I've been noticing over the winter a change in programming style at Food and HGTV. Has anyone else noticed, especially at HGTV, a marked decrease in titles, increase in airing the same episodes and this specifically during weekends (don't watch much TV during the week)?

So for example on Saturdays/Sundays I see the same dozen or so shows running back to back over the course of the day and quite frequently the same episodes are broadcast in two to four week intervals. So there seems to be fewer shows on AND more frequent reruns of the same episodes (much Income Property, For Rent, House Hunter/House Hunters Intl, Holmes...). Similar story at Food.

Is it me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-25, 11:19 AM   #2
timlocke

Nope. I bet it is MONEY. With a small possibility that the producers just are not making any newq shows this winter/spring. And why are they not so doing? MONEY.

It is always money one way or another. Perhaps all these mergers and takeovers in the Canadian broadcast industry is the root cause of that.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:36 PM   #3
Tridus

Pretty similar to how A&E is basically now the Storage Wars channel.
Old 2012-03-25, 01:59 PM   #4
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

I have, but not as much with Food, but HGTV it seems more repeats, but not as bad as History or should I say Shaw Reality TV 2
Old 2012-03-25, 02:27 PM   #5
sailmaker

There is a joke making the rounds that if you have Alzeimers you only need one book and one DVD because it is new to you whenever you start reading or watching anew. Maybe the cable companies are sending subliminal messages hoping to give us all Alzeimers so we will "accept" all the crappy reruns (that sucked the first time around) as new programs.

I have finally broken the habit of taping/watching StarGate Atlantis. Eight or nine times for every program is enough for anyone. I used to like Pawn Stars on History channel but 6 times for the same rerun is enough to make me gag. The old man needs to fall under a bus, the owner needs to stifle that horrible laugh and his son should stop looking up at the telepromter and start looking at the camera.

I love the comment that A&E is now the Storage Wars channel. It would be even funnier if it were not true.

Where the h*ll is the CRTC in all this? In the bar with the lobbiests you say?
Old 2012-03-25, 05:46 PM   #6
Cockroach

We watch HGTV (free ), particularly Househunters and HH Int'l and notice for the latter that there are a lot of repeats. I set up an old HD DVR to record these shows and notice the episodes on at least 3x daily on a repeat cycle, and we've seen a lot of the episodes already. Haven't checked how many times the same episodes repeat in a week.

Certainly the content that all these premium cable channels have is a strong DISincentive to actually subscribe to any.
Old 2012-03-25, 06:06 PM   #7
swansongtoo

But I think this has gotten worse under Shaw ownership. Up until just a few months ago it wasn't this bad on HG and Food.
Old 2012-04-03, 10:20 AM   #8
ShawnB

that's shaw for you. Give you the worst tv, least amount of channels and make you pay though the nose for it. Oh and make you wait 3+ hours to complain because most won't wait that long so less actually complain so shaw can claim to have better service then it really does.
Old 2012-04-11, 02:14 PM   #9
verd

The programming on Food has changed quite dramatically over the past few months and what used to be one of my favourite channels is now almost completely off my radar.

The big change is the number of regular old cooking shows has been cut dramatically, while the number of food 'competition' shows has gone way up. It used to be that competition shows like Iron Chef, Chopped, Top Chef, Ramsay shows, etc, were only shown in prime time, while through the day you had all sorts of different cooking shows. Now the cooking shows are pretty much restricted to between 6:00 and 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

I guess this is bringing the channel more in line with the U.S. version, in which case I'd really like to see a Canadian version of the Cooking Channel.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:08 PM   #10
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

Ever since Shaw bought out Can West Communications

HGTV
Food
History
Mystery

have gone down hill. Grant you yes they finally launched HGTV & Food TV in HD, but the programing is exactly like the SD version only in HD, and whats the point of having it in HD if the programing is turning not worth watching?
Old 2012-04-11, 07:26 PM   #11
Tridus

Most HD channels air the same shows as their SD versions, only in HD. Discovery was the main one that had totally different lineups, and that confused people to no end.