Cancel Optik TV 3-year contract? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-08-22, 09:47 PM   #1
gurp99
Rookie

Default Cancel Optik TV 3-year contract?

Hello,

I signed up for the 3-year optix tv contract less than 6 months ago and I am not liking the service at all. The optix wireless internet is really slow, I average less than 5mb... Is there anyway I can cancel my contract? I have been calling customer service every week and complaining about my slow speed and they are aware of the issue.

Or should I ask for better service for free? like increased internet speed?
gurp99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-08-22, 10:44 PM   #2
DSgamby
Veteran

You can cancel but it will cost you a cancellation fee which is a a certain amount per month until the end of your contract. Check your Terms and Conditions.

Quote:
What happens if I want to cancel my service agreement?

All customers in service agreements are responsible for a cancellation fee as they have agreed to a service agreement term. Customers canceling the service before their term ends will be billed a cancellation fee.

If you have signed up for a TV Service Agreement before November 5th, 2009 you will be charged a cancellation fee of $120. If you have signed up for a TV Service Agreement on or after November 5th 2009, you will be charged a cancellation fee reflecting the remaining value of the discounts or promotional items you received for entering into the term agreement (generally around $10 per month remaining in the service agreement).
http://www.telus.com/content/help/bi...-agreement-faq
DSgamby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-22, 11:12 PM   #3
Wiremonkey

You won't get better internet service for free, you need to read over the Terms of Service. Wi-Fi is a radio signal, and TELUS has little control over radio interference in your home. There are several things that could be disturbing your Wi-Fi. Have you tried different channels? Do you have a wireless burglar alarm?

If you only have an issue with the Wi-Fi you could consider getting your own router and using it for your Wi-Fi. That's probably cheaper than the penalty.

There are several posts on the forum explaining how to place a router of your choice behind the Actiontec. If you can't find this info you can PM me and I'll assist you. Several members have done this for Wi-Fi issues.
Wiremonkey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-25, 12:51 PM   #4
WetCardboard

Wiremonkey, I think he's just complaining about the lack of available bandwidth when the tv is in use. The wifi probably isn't the culprit, it's the internet speed that's taking a hit when he's using tv. For me since I only have 1 STB and 3HD/1SD it's not a problem, but I can't imagine having Optik in a house with three tv's, especially if they were only on the 2HD/1SD profile.

gurp99, It's $10/month X the remaining amount of months left on your contract for the TV portion, and $13/month X the remaining amount of months for internet (if you took advantage of a promotion like the free Xbox on 2-year term). If you didn't get an Xbox or a laptop I don't believe there's a cancellation fee for the internet, just tv (or the internet ecf is significantly less anyway). Can someone from Telus clarify this please?

When Optik came out it was more advanced than what Shaw has to offer, but now Shaw is able to offer leaps and bounds more bandwidth and the ability to record 6HD streams at once at a lower overall price. Sure if you factor in a free Xbox or free laptop, Telus may work out to be around the same price but I'd rather just pay less monthly and not take any hits on my internet speed when watching tv. I'm pretty happy with my Optik don't get me wrong, but Shaw is better. I noticed Telus has more HD channels, but most of them are of no use to me (3 CityHD,CTVHD,GlobalHD feeds,etc). I'd rather have HDNet than most of the extra channels you can get with Optik. My contract with Telus is up in a year at which time I will likely switch back unless something drastically changes.
WetCardboard is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-13, 10:25 PM   #5
zork152
Rookie

Default Cancelling Within First Month

Hello,

I recently signed up for Optik tv, high speed turbo and home phone under a 3 year agreement.

Just wandering what the cancellation policy is? Can you cancel within the first month without any charge?

Thanks

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-01-14 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
zork152 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-14, 09:48 AM   #6
williabe
Rookie

zork152,

You can cancel, but you will be subject to a fee for every month of TV/Internet service up to the full term of the contract. I believe it is 10$ month for TV, and not sure about internet cost.
williabe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-09-08, 01:37 PM   #7
saqeeb90
Rookie

Default Cancel contract ??

hi guys i signed 3 year contract with telus for optic tv , and high speed internet when they had latop offer.
any idea how much it will cost me to cancel telus tv connection after almost 10 months of service .

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-09-09 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
saqeeb90 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-09-08, 05:33 PM   #8
BKman74

You'll have to pay a $120 fee if you cancel.
BKman74 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-09-09, 12:25 PM   #9
ae_collector

Does it max out at $120? 36 months - 10 months = 26 months times $10 a month = $260 for cancelling the optik tv service. Isn't the laptop for the ADSL contract? Keeping the ADSL service might solve that issue. If you are moving to a location where Optik is unavailable that could change things as well.
Old 2012-09-18, 04:25 PM   #10
mickboyle
Rookie

Default Moving to a new house and Optik TV not available

Guys,

Apologies if it has been asked before - I'm new to this forum .... but

I have 2 years left on my Optik TV/Phone/Internet bundle and I'm moving to a new area that doesn't have Optik TV.

I don't want Satellite TV - so what are my obligations to Telus ?
And what are their obligations to me ?

Ideally I'd like to cut the cord and go with Over the Air TV, Boxee Box for streaming, and VOIP for telephone.

Does anybody know whether I'm able to "really" downgrade my services or cancel the agreement totally without being taken to the cleaners by Telus?

Thanks in advance.

Mick
mickboyle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-09-18, 11:01 PM   #11
ae_collector

$10 a month times the number of remaining months in the contract always seems considerably more than fair to me to cancel the Optik TV contract. The option was there to NOT sign a contract up front and I would think at minimum Telus could expect to collect remaining months at $26, the price of Essentials Only.

When negotiating with them I think you should be willing to keep Phone and ADSL (if it is available at your new location). Trying to get out of that because of a move doesn't seem right to me when you signed a contract.
Old 2012-09-19, 01:13 PM   #12
brownstar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboyle View Post
Guys,

Apologies if it has been asked before - I'm new to this forum .... but

I have 2 years left on my Optik TV/Phone/Internet bundle and I'm moving to a new area that doesn't have Optik TV.

I don't want Satellite TV - so what are my obligations to Telus ?
And what are their obligations to me ?

Ideally I'd like to cut the cord and go with Over the Air TV, Boxee Box for streaming, and VOIP for telephone.

Does anybody know whether I'm able to "really" downgrade my services or cancel the agreement totally without being taken to the cleaners by Telus?

Thanks in advance.

Mick
I moved earlier this year and asked the same question of Telus, there response was that if Optik is not available in the area then the contract can be cancelled for no cost.
brownstar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-10-14, 08:41 PM   #13
AndroidJes
Rookie

Default Moving while In Contract Question

I apologize if this has been asked before.

I entered into a 3 year contract (got the free Samsung Tablet) while living in Victoria BC. Had Optik TV #HD stream and Internet 25 Turbo. Loved the service and speeds.

Fast forward one year and I moved to Courtenay BC and was told that they only had the Optik 1HD/2Sd stream and the High Speed Internet (Not Turbo). My bill went down only $5 for this much less quality of service. I've called in a couple of times for issues with Speeds and the router having to be rebooted constantly.

Anyways.. Fast Forward another year. I have one year left on the contract and I am moving again. This time to an address in Black Creek BC.
According to the website, The only service available there is Internet 6 and No TV.

What are my options? I do not want to accept the Internet 6 speed. I know I should be able to get out of the TV contract from what I've read, but what about the internet? Am I forced to have to take the slower speed again? Or do I get out of the contract completely? Are there penalty costs?

Thanks for your info.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-10-15 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
AndroidJes is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-10-15, 12:54 AM   #14
brownstar
Veteran

I believe that if you signed up for Optik TV and move to a location Telus do not supply Optik TV to then you are not obligated to continue to service
brownstar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-10-15, 01:05 AM   #15

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

If you entered into a contract and moved to Timbuktu, you'd have to honour the terms of the contract, whatever they are. The fact that you decided to move does nothing to invalidate the contract. You need to read the contract and determine the penalties involved. You cannot "get out of" a contract, other than perhaps drawing on the compassion of the corporation with which you have that contract - give them a call to see what they can do. The fact that they gave you some hardware in return for signing that contract puts more leverage in their hands, since that giveaway was factored in based on 3 years, not 2. I'm pretty sure brownstar is incorrect.

Similar thread, same result:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=176713

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.