New commercial antennas focused on the 14-51 range? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > Antenna Research & Development

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-08-22, 05:45 PM   #1
alebowgm
Veteran

Question New commercial antennas focused on the 14-51 range?

Just a thought. Now that UHF 52+ are going to be cut off, is there a 'new design' of some sort that instead focuses on the 14-51 range...
Advertisement

Old 2011-08-22, 06:08 PM   #2
300ohm
Veteran

Heh, pretty much ALL of the antenna designs on this forum since 2008 have been focused on the 7 - 13 vhf-hi and 14-51 uhf range.
Old 2011-08-22, 06:09 PM   #3
alebowgm
Veteran

Sorry, let me rephrase, all the ones that you can buy in mass, lol...
Old 2011-08-22, 06:23 PM   #4
ScaryBob
Veteran

OTA Antenna Chart/Tableau des Meilleures Antennes OTA
Old 2011-08-22, 06:23 PM   #5
ota_canuck
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie

AD makes the claim to that new 14-51 issue, but these antennas all appear to be the same as their older 14-69 antenna designs.

Marketing, marketing, marketing. I don't know if you can really trust any of the antenna manufacturer claims.

I believe there are AD members on this DHC forum that may be able to explain!

Quote:
The first all new HDTV antennas optimized for the post 2009 digital frequencies. Designed for reception on high VHF (Ch 7-13) and core UHF (Ch 14-51).
http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...-antennas.html
I may be bending the posting rules slightly, but this is an important factor in selecting any consumer antenna products based on the advertised manufacturer's specifications.
Old 2011-08-22, 07:47 PM   #6
holl_ands
Veteran

If you look at the A-D sellsheets for the C1/C2/C4 antennas & specs for Micron-2, you'll
see that they are indeed "optimized" for the New UHF Band (470-698 MHz), with Gain
falling off (slightly) and the SWR climbing across the higher Old Band frequencies....unlike
some Full Band antennas that peak within the Old Band...
This is a small detriment on all except the higher Gain C4, which has a big SWR increase.
It just happens these new A-D antennas (except C4), ALSO perform quite well in the Old Band:
http://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_f...-sellsheet.pdf
http://www.antennasdirect.com/micron-2-gain.html
holl_ands is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-22, 08:37 PM   #7
ADTech

Since you asked:

The ClearStream line of our antennas are designed and optimized for the "new" bands as follows:

The ClearStream Micron, C1/C, C2, and C4 designs were all optimized for UHF 14-51.

The C5 was optimized for VHF 7-13. It's actually a derivative the C1, essentially rescaled for the lower frequency range.

Our new 2- and 4-bay UHF antennas should be available in November (or so). Production has finally been scheduled after several delays.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a commercial. Just wanted to answer questions.
ADTech is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-22, 08:44 PM   #8
ota_canuck
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie

ADTech, Thanks for the confirmations!
Old 2011-08-22, 10:01 PM   #9
vap57

Location: Mississauga, ON: North of Dundas on west side of Winston Churchill between Laird & Orleans.
Question Convert ClearStream2 for VHF-HI?

Is there any way that I can convert my ClearStream2 so it can also receive VHF high? I see on Antennas Direct website that they now have a Clearstream2 "complete" that does. If I can do something to my existing CS2 to do the same thing, it would CHCH to me and let me keep CFTO when they convert. If it is possible, please respond in plain English as I am no techno geek!

Thanks all.
vap57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-23, 04:46 PM   #10
ADTech

vap57,

I'm working on a parts list this week for a possible retrofit kit.....

ADTech
Old 2011-08-23, 04:52 PM   #11
vap57

Location: Mississauga, ON: North of Dundas on west side of Winston Churchill between Laird & Orleans.

AD Tech, thanks for the update.
vap57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-23, 05:03 PM   #12
ScaryBob
Veteran

A piece of 36" wide 2"x4" wire mesh attached to the reflector should help with VHF. 35"-36" aluminum reflector rods will also work.

It may also help to attach an extra element at the connection point. Whiskers, probably in the 13" to 16" range, may work. 20"-22" loops may also work. Not sure what length will work best. The whiskers and loops would need to be modeled for performance.
Old 2011-08-23, 05:21 PM   #13
Goldielover

Hmmm - was considering the Clearstream2, but had a few concerns about VHF-HI and CFTO or CHCH. Would be waiting until after post transition anyways, but am wondering if it would be better to wait for the Clearstream2-V. Any idea when it may be available in Canada? My little unamplified Terk does very well considering what it is, but I wouldn't mind being able to get some of the US channels a bit more reliably.
Goldielover is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-08-23, 05:26 PM   #14
ADTech

ScaryBob,

That's lot of metal and work... A simple dipole and UVSJ with some hardware works pretty darned well for basic bi-directional reception of high-VHF. If you need directivity or higher gain, you'll have to look at larger antennas that includes a reflector and, possibly, directors. At least now we have a modest-range 7-51 antenna solution that is properly predictable.

Goldielover,

No idea when they might be available in Canada. It's up to our Canadian retail partners to order them. We've only had them in inventory for less than two weeks and they've been available on the website for less than that.

PS. A mod might want to move this into the thread that specifically discusses our products.
Old 2011-08-23, 05:42 PM   #15
Goldielover

Thanks, ADTech. I will keep my eyes peeled. Will most likely wait until I've seen a few reviews as to what they can do. No point in ordering until I'm sure it can do better than my existing set up.
Goldielover is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.