HNIC 2011-2012 Schedule - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On In Sports?

Old 2011-10-05, 04:19 PM   #46
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Also, why is Winnipeg @ Phoenix on at 16:00 local time (Phoenix doesn't observe DST, so they are on MST, which is the same as PDT)?
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-05, 06:08 PM   #47
NB Josh
Veteran

Calgary-Toronto should be in HD too. I agree that its a very odd choice. I though Saskatchewan would have got the Flames game too. And northwestern Ontario for that matter.

And the start time is because HNIC asked for it.
Old 2011-10-05, 07:33 PM   #48
alebowgm
Veteran

NW Ontario and Saskatchewan are now shared as Jets territory. NW Ontario will probably favor Jets over Leafs during the year, as they are 3 hrs or less driving distance to the arena compared to 24 hrs in Toronto. Saskatchewan is interesting since the Flames are also playing, but since its basically Jets v. Jets, CBC must think there is going to be increased local interest in the game.

Also expect all Jets games on HNIC to start at 7pm ET/6pm CT so it doesn't throw off CBC's coverage. This was discussed in depth over in the Jets thread.

I am more surprised that the Canadians game isn't airing in Atlantic Canada. Habs v. Nords would have interest on the east coast.

Also, I would have thought that CHEX may had considered airing a different local game, perhaps the Sens game.

And if one game turns out to be a blow-out, I am sure CBC won't be shy to switch over to another, more compelling, game (except in the home markets).
Old 2011-10-05, 08:59 PM   #49
NB Josh
Veteran

Atlantic Canada always gets the Leafs game though, unless the Canadiens are playing Pittsburgh (and Crosby is playing). Besides, the Leafs popularity in Atlantic Canada isn't far behind the Habs. CHEX always shows the same game as the rest of Ontario.

I still feel like Leafs-Flames, a matchup with two Canadian teams, would get better ratings in Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario. There is no way there are more Jets fans in Saskatchewan than Flames and Leafs combined, and I don't think there are more Jets fans in Northern Ontario than Leafs either. There may be increased local interest in Manitoba, but not in places where the Flames and Leafs are more popular.

I've never seen CBC switch out of a non-competitive game before either, I don't think.
Old 2011-10-05, 09:01 PM   #50
alebowgm
Veteran

There was a Leaf game I remember watching a few years ago on CBC where they were down by 4 or 5 goals midway through the 3rd (what a surprise) and CBC switched over to another game...
Old 2011-10-05, 10:11 PM   #51
leaffan1967

I don't seem to recall CBC switching many games out either. Maybe in the playoffs a few times when they had 2 games at once. Not that it matters to me, I get CBC HD from Toronto so I have the Leafs game start to finish

Although now with most Saturdays having 3-4 games in the 7ET slot it is most likely there will be some mid game changes. Although, many of the panels have Jets and Sens missing playoffs, and have TOR and MTL going for 8th, so it remains to be seen how many opportunities CBC has to swap.
Old 2011-10-05, 10:17 PM   #52
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

CBC has done strange things in the past, like the time in 1987 when after showing the end of the third period of a Montreal/Philly game nationally they decided not to show overtime outside of Quebec, made infamous by Dave Hodge's flippant remark and flipping his pencil in disgust, resulting in him being fired and replaced by Ron MacLean.
Old 2011-10-05, 11:13 PM   #53
alebowgm
Veteran

Yep, a rather classic moment in HNIC history to say the least...

which led to McLean getting the lead chair at HNIC only his first year into the job...
Old 2011-10-11, 06:25 PM   #54
hwy19man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
I've never seen CBC switch out of a non-competitive game before either, I don't think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm View Post
There was a Leaf game I remember watching a few years ago on CBC where they were down by 4 or 5 goals midway through the 3rd (what a surprise) and CBC switched over to another game...
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan1967 View Post
I don't seem to recall CBC switching many games out either. Maybe in the playoffs a few times when they had 2 games at once. Not that it matters to me, I get CBC HD from Toronto so I have the Leafs game start to finish

Although now with most Saturdays having 3-4 games in the 7ET slot it is most likely there will be some mid game changes.
Alebowgm is correct about HNIC switching games, although it is a rare event that the CBC changes games while in progress.

The last time this happened was Saturday, November 24, 2007 in Phoenix. It was an early game and the Leafs were losing to the Coyotes 5-0 at the beginning of the third period. The CBC decided to switch games and have all its viewers except in Ontario or southern Ontario watch the conclusion of the Sabres at Habs game (Quebec viewers saw this game from the beginning). The Sabres won 3-0 and the Coyotes won 5-1.

Prior to the Leafs-Coyotes game, the previous time a HNIC game was switched was Saturday, March 11, 2000 also in Phoenix. The circumstances were nearly identical. The only differences were that it was a late game and the Canucks were the opposition. The CBC switched games and had all viewers, including those in British Columbia, see the third period of the Flames at Kings game using the Kings feed since HNIC did not choose to televise this game. The Kings won 3-1 and the Coyotes 5-0. Needless to say, viewers in BC were not happy about the sudden change of games and the CBC obviously learned from that.
Old 2011-10-12, 11:02 PM   #55
taxman
Rookie

Northwestern Ontario may be in the Jets territory per the CBC, but Northwestern Ontario's only CBC station (CKPR Thunder Bay) says that they are airing the Leafs and Flames on Saturday. This is per CKPR's website.
Old 2011-10-13, 08:37 AM   #56
roger1818
Veteran

^^^But, CKPR is only transmitted in Thunder Bay and Nipigon. The rest of Northern Ontario receives CBC Manitoba (CBWT), which explains why CBC says they will be getting the Jets Games.
Old 2011-10-13, 05:47 PM   #57
hwy19man

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Also, why is Winnipeg @ Phoenix on at 16:00 local time (Phoenix doesn't observe DST, so they are on MST, which is the same as PDT)?
The game should have been part of a split telecast for the second half of the doubleheader. It would be nice if the CBC would do that. The game in Phoenix could easily have started at 1900h PDT, MST and be shown to its regional area while the Canucks-Oilers game would be shown to the rest of the country.
Old 2011-10-13, 06:05 PM   #58
hwy19man

Quote:
Interesting that Winnipeg @ Phoenix is being shown in BC. I wonder if it is because the game will be in HD and the CBC has been having troubles getting HD to the "new" DTV stations during primetime.
Quote:
Calgary-Toronto should be in HD too. I agree that its a very odd choice. I though Saskatchewan would have got the Flames game too. And northwestern Ontario for that matter.
Quote:
I still feel like Leafs-Flames, a matchup with two Canadian teams, would get better ratings in Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario. There is no way there are more Jets fans in Saskatchewan than Flames and Leafs combined, and I don't think there are more Jets fans in Northern Ontario than Leafs either. There may be increased local interest in Manitoba, but not in places where the Flames and Leafs are more popular.
There will be three games in HD for the first half of the doubleheader on HNIC. The Flames-Leafs, Avalanche-Canadiens, and the Jets-Coyotes will all be in HD. The HD factor must have come into play for the Jets-Coyotes game being shown in British Columbia and Bell has those three HD channels.

I agree with NB Josh that Saskatchewan should be getting the Flames game instead of the Jets. It is the only time there is a conflict between an Alberta team and the Jets.
Old 2011-10-13, 06:56 PM   #59
roger1818
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
The game should have been part of a split telecast for the second half of the doubleheader. It would be nice if the CBC would do that. The game in Phoenix could easily have started at 1900h PDT, MST and be shown to its regional area while the Canucks-Oilers game would be shown to the rest of the country.
What is the point if they only show it locally? A 9:00pm CT start would cost them a lot of viewers in Manitoba. That time slot is only good for viewers in Pacific and Mountain timezones and they'll obviously get the Canucks-Oilers game (I guess Calgary could show the Jets, but that wouldn't likely make up for lost viewers in Manitoba).
Old 2011-10-13, 08:59 PM   #60
hwy19man

Quote:
What is the point if they only show it locally? A 9:00pm CT start would cost them a lot of viewers in Manitoba. That time slot is only good for viewers in Pacific and Mountain timezones and they'll obviously get the Canucks-Oilers game (I guess Calgary could show the Jets, but that wouldn't likely make up for lost viewers in Manitoba).
You are right about Calgary (southern Alberta) and I guess for wider distribution all of Ontario since Saskatchewan and NW Ontario are already part of the HNIC Jets area. When playing western teams, having the HNIC Jets road games starting at 2100h CT are not that bad especially on a Friday or Saturday evening. People in Manitoba would stay up and watch.

My opinion is that when it is possible, there should be split telecasts for the second half of the doubleheader. There should be more of a balance for these split telecasts instead of having four games at the same time and just one after that. Hopefully, this will happen next season when the Jets move to the western conference.