Global Ottawa DTV Transition - Aug. 16, 2011 - update in Post #331 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Station & Network Operational Status

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-15, 10:22 PM   #61
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyTown View Post
I was not expecting issues with Global. Yes, I read that VHF on channel 6 is not good as many antennas won't pick it up. However, I can pick up channel 4 on VHF with my antenna. Channel 6 always came in before with my antenna when Global was analog.
I am not surprised people are having troubles (I am actually surprised how many people are receiving it). It is more than just many antennas aren't good with VHF-LO. The problem is all the testing and tuner development was done with UHF. It was then assumed that VHF would behave the same way. Unfortunately many of the assumptions made ware false and VHF-HI required about 10dB more power than expected and VHF-LO required more than 20dB of additional power.

Canada's transition was scheduled 2.5 years after the US one so that we could learn from their experience. Unfortunately no one in Canada bothered to learn anything and went ahead with the same assumptions the Americans made. I was planning on intervening against CIII-DT-6's use of VHF-LO, but the CRTC approved the application without asking for public input.
Advertisement

Old 2011-08-15, 10:23 PM   #62
vejostde

Location: Carp, ON. HD8800 and Ch6 Dipole to CM7777 in attic.
Smile Success!

I made the trip into the attic and had my wife watch the SNR while I moved the antenna around. I started with a folded dipole for channel 6, and I couldn't get the SNR above 5. So I switched back to the channel 7 yagi that's pointed 180 degrees from Camp Fortune (towards Watertown) and the SNR was a bit better at around 8. For fun I turned the antenna perpendicular to the ground and the SNR shot up to about 15. I did some more fine tuning and got it to a steady 17.

Just goes to show that the best way to figure out reception issues is to go up and expirement.

I've got the channel 7 antenna going into the VHF port of a CM7777 preamp, with an HD8800 on the UHF side, and the FM trap on.

I lost 4 analog, 9 is probably better, 11 is also better, and 13 is a little fuzzier, but I think reception will be fine for 9 and 13 when they convert.

My TV scanned the channel in as 6-1, and I didn't see any PSIP info. The channel scan on my linux box scanned in as 4.1 CIII-DT. I'll see what mythtv scans it in as tomorrow, but I imagine it'll mess up CBC like it has others in the forum.
Old 2011-08-15, 11:01 PM   #63
rpali
Rookie

Global's coming in lovely here by Bank and Hunt Club. My HDHomeRun reports a 68% signal strength, 59% signal quality, and 100% symbol quality...and this is with a Winegard YA-1713, which is a VHF-HI antenna. When Global was analogue is was barely watchable but the digital signal is fine without any drop-outs so far. I was *not* expecting this.

The mapping has given me two 4.1 channels but scanning through the station works so it's nothing more than a bit odd.

What happened to TVOntario? I thought it was flash-cutting today as well.
Old 2011-08-15, 11:23 PM   #64
jfgroves
Rookie

I'm getting Global HD fine with rabbit ears (TV reports signal strength in the high 80s), Algonquin College area, although it's showing up as 4-1 and my Panasonic TV can't seem to figure out if 4-1 is supposed to be CBC or Global.
Old 2011-08-15, 11:32 PM   #65
backpackster

Here in Navan I am getting global perfectly, in fact it strangely is my strongest local signal. I am getting it with my combo hd8800/delhi unknown VHF. The delhi is pointed directly at CF. Interestingly I cannot get it with my big combo (cm4242) pointed the wrong way or my single cut 21 UHF. To me it seems to be an obvious low power issue to most people at the moment.

Also two of my televisions map it to 4.1, my primary tv (an LG) maps it to 6.1

Lovely teething issues. Loooking forward to TVO tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-15, 11:47 PM   #66
CorSter

No Global in Sandy Hill, Terk HDTVa facing South.

Not surprised though... barely got the analog signal.
Old 2011-08-15, 11:48 PM   #67
Yroc

I'm in Overbrook and its coming in fine.
Old 2011-08-16, 12:04 AM   #68
flavoie

backpackster good to know you're getting global.

I'm still not planning on moving my 302sr from the attic to the roof...
Even though i still have a long ladder on hand at the moment, I hope its owner will show up sometime to pick it up to remove this option from the equation...
Old 2011-08-16, 09:26 AM   #69
donj
Rookie

Exclamation Global Ottawa DTV Transition In Progress - Aug. 16, 2011

I'm getting

Global 6.1 - 3 bars out of 10 (dropping now and then, but not too bad)
TVO 24.1 - 10 bars out of 10

I'm in Sandy Hill with an attic mounted CM4221 joined to a loop antenna by a uvsj, and a preamp from Radio Shack.
Old 2011-08-16, 10:03 AM   #70
flavoie

Got through to Global.
I called Global this morning at 1-800-387-8001 because that's the Global contact number under the Canada digital transition website. The lady was nice and mentioned this is Global news number, and gave me this other number 1-888-520-7429 which is an automated message only, you can't talk to person. When I phoned her back and with my insistence of making sure someone was looking into the problem and I was not alone on this, she transferred me to their engineering department. The person I talked to will look it up then call me back.
Old 2011-08-16, 10:12 AM   #71
Tweeter

Location: Gatineau, le Plateau, CM 4228HD on edge of roof, about 15 feet above ground facing SSE
Default global on 4.1??

Hi, I was pulling in BOTH Global and CBC on channel 4.1 yesterday and this morning.... has anyone else had this happen to them? I did a forum search but no one else seems to have posted this. This is on 2 tv's so it's not the TV tuner which is defective... they were both crystal clear btw...

I just scanned the entries and others are also getting Global on 4.1... I wonder if this is temporary?

I called Global as well at the number FLavoie posted (thanks!) about the 4.1 issue and the "nice lady" said she would let the engineering department know. I said that I was getting the channel in beautifully and that I was just calling because it may be of interest to them. Hope this helps.

Also getting TVO in beautifully too.

Last edited by Tweeter; 2011-08-16 at 10:30 AM. Reason: found similar posts plus called Global
Old 2011-08-16, 10:14 AM   #72
charettepa

@flavoie

that is great
i emailed yesterday and called crtc
but i will call global if you think it will help

Last edited by charettepa; 2011-08-16 at 10:59 AM.
Old 2011-08-16, 10:58 AM   #73
charettepa

Default Global

when i called Global on august 2nd because the transmiter was dead
(as per the engineer it had blown)
i called their direct toronto number
416 446-5311
i was able to reach an engineer from there through the menu of options
Old 2011-08-16, 11:38 AM   #74
FunkyTown

I just called that 416 number and spoke with a man who says he's had a few other callers call to complain about no signal. He said they've contacted the technician in Ottawa and he's looking into it. He says they are hoping to have it resolved within 2 hours.

Now this is what he told me, it not what I believe. I am picking it up in my bedroom now, but this is likely due to the fact I have a VHF/UHF antenna combo in the bedroom.

My living room is getting 85% signal on CBC Eng and Fre, as well as SUN. TVO is coming in at 88%. CityTV is coming in at 77%. Omni 1 is at 80%. I never could get OMNI 2 for more than 4 seconds at a time. In the living room I still cannot get Global. Someone mentioned yesterday that my CM4228HD antenna is no good for channel 6. I may go out today to buy another UHF combo antenna along with a splitter to hook the 4228 and the UHF together. Maybe that will fix things with any luck.
Old 2011-08-16, 11:47 AM   #75
charettepa

i just called global as well
they told me the same thing
that others have complained and are investigating
Closed Thread