Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Ottawa DTV Transition - Aug. 16, 2011 - update in Post #331

59K views 330 replies 70 participants last post by  stampeder 
#1 ·
@roger1818 in this post, navwizard (a Global engineer) recently said they were on track to transition Ottawa on August 15th, but not to hold him to that.
Only analog as of 6:15 a.m. this morning. Anybody have any further updates as to when Global will flash cut in Ottawa?

#3 ·
And they're on with a bizarre PSIP of 6.1 channel name uJC-4LA

The signal is appallingly weak. I enjoy better reception from the 2-Edge HC channels and this channel is LOS.

Update: now it's showing up as channel 4.1 after a rescan and CBOT was bumped to 25.10

Wtf Global??

#8 ·
Well, it looks like I'm going into the attic. As I feared, Global is too weak for me to receive.

I've got a homemade channel 7 yagi pointed at Watertown, with 6 is coming in from the back. The analog signal was weak, and the picture was quite grainy, but I was optimistic that it would be good enough to pull in the digital signal.

Since the WNYF repeater went up on 28.1 and 28.2,the channel 7 antenna became redundant, so I'll replace it with a channel 6 dipole I built and see how well that works for the digital signal.

Wish me luck,
Josh

#13 ·
Global is currently on RF6 an mapping to 4.1

CBOT-DT has been booted off to 25.10
You must be using MythTV. I got the same thing on my myth box when I did a full rescan, likely because It found 6 first and when it saw that 4-1 was already occupied, it gave CBOT-DT 25-10 instead of the 4-1 it requested. I did deleted both channels and did two partial re-scan (only channel 6, renamed it to 6_1 and then only channel 25) and everything came out okay (though I am having troubles getting the guide data from Schedules Direct for some strange reason).

Could everyone please report the type of antenna you are using for VHF-LO when reporting your results? I am using a 5Y6S and seem to be receiving a good signal so far.

#15 ·
I still have no sound or pic. I'm using a CM4228HD antenna in my attic. I'm getting all of the other digital channels and analog too. So unless channel 6 is broadcasting at an extremely low signal, I'm not sure why I'm still not picking it up. I just did a scan to see if it would make a difference but it doesn't.

I have plain rabbit ears on my TV in the bedroom. I'll go up and try that one, but if I can't pick it up with the CM4228HD in the attic, it seems strange I would pick it up with rabbit ears. I'll check though.

#20 · (Edited)
Looks like I’m out of luck with digital Global TV the way it’s broadcast right now on channel 6. With some strenuous antennae acrobatics closest I can get to Camp Fortune, I managed to get my TV to lock onto 6.1 for a very weak digital feed. Getting nothing at all with my antennae in its normal location, regardless of orientation.

I’m posting here because I’m curious to see if this will be a widespread problem; past discussions pointed to this one as being the potential biggest issue local channel. I’d also be curious at one point to see a forum poll for the number of people (not /) getting Global DTV.

#21 ·
I am now getting some pixelation and "mode not supported" on my TV for 6-1. Still no station ID or sound. They may just be starting to crank the ERP up? I have played with my CM4228 and my VHF antenna and my CM VHF antenna has given me the best results yet but still no lock here in Franktown. I was able to get analog 6 weak with my 4228 and quite strong on my VHF antenna. Fingers crossed that they are still adding more power to the transmitter...

#24 ·
Old Ottawa South (Bank and the canal)

I'm in Old Ottawa South (Bank and the canal) and I am getting Global on 6.1 at about 45% signal strength. CBOT-DT and CBOTF-DT are stilling coming in fine on 4.1 and 9.1 at about 75%. Sorry I can't give you the actual channel numbers, my TV doesn't report it.

Edited to add: I have an 8 bay antenna from they-who-cannot-be-named (sorry, I was ignorant when I bought it), pointed at HC.

Michael

Reposted from the other Ottawa thread, (Ottawa-Vanier-Orleans)

#32 ·
I'd give 'm a day or two to tweak things but for your convenience:
http://www.globaltv.com/about/contactus.html
Thanks! If by September I get all other digital channels from Camp Fortune ok except for Global TV, then I'll get on the horn. Perhaps, depending on how other's reception is at that time, we could even do something as a group (petition / CRTC? Global TV claiming viewership and sim sub based on this OTA).
But yeah, it does feel a little too early to get upset right now.

#27 ·
I was receiving CIII-DT this morning, but now I don't. Part of my problem may be that I don't currently have a pre-amp on my 5Y6S and I have about 75 feet of cable and a 4-way splitter.

For those having troubles, an FM trap may also be of help. Just make sure it is band shifted to protect channel 6. Winegard's traps are not recommended but the one in the CM7777 is good.

Having said that, I was expecting people to have lots of problems with Global here in Ottawa.

#28 ·
I was not expecting issues with Global. Yes, I read that VHF on channel 6 is not good as many antennas won't pick it up. However, I can pick up channel 4 on VHF with my antenna. Channel 6 always came in before with my antenna when Global was analog. The only conclusion I have is they've really reduced their signal to a trickle. I'm not getting one bit of the signal at all. I live in Gatineau not too far from the Ottawa river. Reception in this area has been very good for local channels on both sides of the river - Hebert's Corners and Camp Fortune.

#61 ·
I was not expecting issues with Global. Yes, I read that VHF on channel 6 is not good as many antennas won't pick it up. However, I can pick up channel 4 on VHF with my antenna. Channel 6 always came in before with my antenna when Global was analog.
I am not surprised people are having troubles (I am actually surprised how many people are receiving it). It is more than just many antennas aren't good with VHF-LO. The problem is all the testing and tuner development was done with UHF. It was then assumed that VHF would behave the same way. Unfortunately many of the assumptions made ware false and VHF-HI required about 10dB more power than expected and VHF-LO required more than 20dB of additional power.

Canada's transition was scheduled 2.5 years after the US one so that we could learn from their experience. Unfortunately no one in Canada bothered to learn anything and went ahead with the same assumptions the Americans made. I was planning on intervening against CIII-DT-6's use of VHF-LO, but the CRTC approved the application without asking for public input.

#29 ·
I have already contacted GlobalTV.com to describe what has happened out our Global TV reception in Ottawa (folks' home)and at our family cottage in Kazabazua.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.