Could someone set me straight on netflix america vs canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-08-13, 08:08 AM   #1
TheSphinx

Default Could someone set me straight on netflix america vs canada

So I dont really watch much netflix, or like it that much. However the GF seems to enjoy it, women seem to like to be able to browse movies with the man, they think its romantic. I only keep it because its 7.99 and because of her. Im a blu ray purist so it kills me to watch some of the terrible pq. But such is a sacrifice.

Recently I tried netflix america for an extra 5 dollars because everyone complains about netflix canada. I did not see an extra 5 dollars worth spending. I mean some of the content was better, some not, some was missing on either.

Unless I completely overlooked it, and yes i only browsed it for a minute or two, is netflix america still way better then netflix canada? Or even 5 dollars a month better? Just want to check before i cancel it.

Second question, whats the best place to watch netflix on? My ps3 or 360? I know for american netflix its ps3, but i think netflix canada outputs at 1080p on 360?

Not that it really matters the netflix 3mbps option at 1080p for netflix america did not impress me either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-08-13, 08:47 AM   #2
DSgamby
Veteran

Netflix America has more movies than Netflix Canada.
Old 2011-08-13, 10:06 AM   #3
bucketo

Netflix Canada = ~1200 titles
Netflix USA = ~12500 titles

check instantwatcher.com for totals...
Old 2011-08-13, 07:25 PM   #4
grog

What extra 5 dollars are you referring to? The streaming only option for Netflix US is also $7.99/mth.

Edit: Nevermind. I assume you're referring to the $5 fee for the service to allow you access to Netflix US from Canada.
Old 2011-08-13, 10:39 PM   #5
flaminghomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog View Post
I assume you're referring to the $5 fee for the service to allow you access to Netflix US from Canada.
What service is this? Something from Netflix, or just some VPN service?
Old 2011-08-13, 11:08 PM   #6
Yroc

Netflix told me that when I visit the US my Nexflix Canada account automatically becomes a US account. Is this not correct?
Old 2011-08-14, 04:00 PM   #7
andrela

I do not believe that the numbers that instantwatcher is showing are accurate . There are titles such as Cube, Heroes season 2 and more that are missing from this site. Pretty hard to get a real picture. Is there another site that list Netflix Canada titles so we can compare ?
Old 2011-08-14, 11:00 PM   #8
andrela

According to this site:

http://netflixcanadacompletelist.blogspot.com/

Netflix Canada has '3562 movies/shows (not counting multiple episodes of the same show)'
Old 2011-08-15, 02:25 AM   #9
TheSphinx

I seen shows on netflix canada not on netflix america, and vice versa, so its hard to guage.

What makes it harder is if its worth 12 dollars a month with the unblockus.

I dont want to use vpn, and i use my ps3 or 360 to watch on it, so im unfamiliar on how i could subscribe to the u.s. version for free (as in 7.99 but not paying additional fee's to access it)

I like unblockus because it does not require altering anything with my router itself.

What makes netflix appealing is the low price, raising it 12 dollars a month makes it also harder to guage.
Old 2011-08-16, 12:38 PM   #10
prettysteve

How exactly can I pay 5 extra dollars to access netflix us in canada? It would be very much worth it just to watch the music content alone for me.
Old 2011-08-16, 12:43 PM   #11
Snowflake6
Rookie

Ditto to what Steve asks... How do I unblock the US content? I'd pay $5 for that. Especially if I can do it with my WDTV+HD.
Old 2011-08-16, 12:47 PM   #12
supergenius

Just google "unblockus". Simple, easy to use, no bandwidth loss, method that removes almost all geoblocking.
Old 2011-08-16, 01:21 PM   #13
audacity
Veteran

One benefit of using a HTPC to access Netflix is that if you use "unblock-us" or a VPN network you will get the US catalog. Then you can disconnect from the VPN connection to get the Canadian catalog.

Netflix only permits this "roaming feature" if you access it via a browser. If you want to access both via a console you need to subscribe to Netflix Canada and Netflix USA ($16/month).
Old 2011-08-18, 02:55 PM   #14
flavoie

I actually didn't quite believe this roaming feature to be true. Where can I find official info or actual testimonials on it ?
Old 2011-08-18, 04:00 PM   #15
audacity
Veteran

I use this feature many times a week.

This is easy enough to test. Setup a VPN to the states and go to www.netflix.com in a browser, login using your Canadian credentials, and take a look around.