How much Tablet memory do you need? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-07-27, 10:50 PM   #1
Moose57

Default How much Tablet memory do you need?

With tablets sporting all sizes and types of memory and upgrade options, How does one decipher if adding a SD or micro SD will help and if so, for what?

I've discovered on various smart phones that they do reach a limit on the # of apps you can host.

So will adding a 8 or 16 or 32 SD to a tablet allow more apps? Wil it run faster?
Will it multitask better? Does Android even do that?
Or just hold more songs, pictures and videos?

How much installed memory shoudl you have?
Let assume Android (2.2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-07-28, 07:30 AM   #2
JamesK
Veteran

The answer to your question is "that depends".

The more apps you install and the more data you store, the more memory you need. In later versions of Android, if you run out of built in memory for apps, you can install some to the plug in card. Android multitasks.
Old 2011-07-28, 09:50 AM   #3
hugh
Member #1

Discussed several times so pls search. Many of us have found 16gb more than enough
Old 2011-07-29, 01:51 AM   #4
Moose57

Thanks for the 16gb suggestion.

I did a POST & THREAD search on TABLET MEMORY and browsing the titles and post previews wasn't very revealing.

It came back with announcement about all sorts of products, but nothing in the results said, hey read me, I'm talking about memory.

Sometime a pointer to another thread by one who one it well can be helpful.

I suppose one could read the 10 threads of 500 posts each hoping to find the answer.

@JamesK, does 2.2 qualify as a version that can run apps from SD?
Old 2011-07-29, 02:14 AM   #5
TorontoColin

Well that depends on what you mean by memory.

Do you mean RAM? If so, then the more the better. To a certain extent, the more RAM you have, the faster your tablet will run.

Do you mean ROM? ROM is where apps are held, but it's different from the general tablet capacity in that it's exclusively for OS functionality and apps. The more the better. ROM cannot be expanded, so what you get is pretty much what you're stuck with.

Do you mean internal memory? Tablets have a limited amount of flash memory, typically between 16 and 64 GB, which is used to store media (movies, pictures, music) as well as some secondary parts of apps and certain apps which allow themselves to be installed to the SD card (or internal memory). Apps will take up a tiny fraction of this storage, so how much you pick is mostly based on how much media you want on it.

Android 2.2 allows some apps to be installed to the SD card. Android 2.3 allows more apps to be installed to the SD card, but not all of them. Some apps are stuck on ROM in order to function properly.
Old 2011-07-29, 09:45 AM   #6
Fonceur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Android 2.3 allows more apps to be installed to the SD card, but not all of them. Some apps are stuck on ROM in order to function properly.
The app developer has to enable writing to the SD card, which then becomes transparent to the user... Though with a rooted device, you can still move the uncooperative apps.
Old 2011-07-29, 12:14 PM   #7
audacity
Veteran

Quote:
Do you mean ROM? ROM is where apps are held,
Nope.

1. Modern computers don't contain ROM.

2. If they did, nothing in ROM could ever be updated. OS and App updates would be impossible.

ROM is memory that was used in early computers where the data was loaded on it by the manufacturer, never to be changed.

edit: I suppose one could consider the logic "baked" into a CPU/GPU as "ROM" in that it cannot be changed without replacing the chip, but that's about it.
Old 2011-07-29, 02:20 PM   #8
Fonceur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
1. Modern computers don't contain ROM.
The BIOS/Firmware can probably fall into the ROM category by now. Even though you no longer need those EPROM re-programmer and such to update them...
Old 2011-07-29, 02:38 PM   #9
audacity
Veteran

I haven't run into a BIOS in a modern motherboard that cannot be updated through software. That is, the only way to update the BIOS is to pull out one chip and replace it with a new chip.
Old 2011-07-29, 02:46 PM   #10
TorontoColin

In Android slang terms, ROM refers to the protected flash memory that holds the OS (or ROM) and apps, not read only memory.
Old 2011-07-29, 02:54 PM   #11
ScaryBob
Veteran

BIOS and firmware are software written to non-volatile memory of some type. ROM is hardware so BIOS and firmware can in no way considered to be the same as ROM. It's like comparing apples to rocks.

EPROM is Electrically Programmable ROM, so it is ROM in the general sense. Most modern computers actually use EEPROM. EPROM and EEPROM are an improved ROM that acts like ROM in all aspects other than being erasable and rewritten. I have often heard EPROM and EEPROM generically referred to as ROM.

What the OP was referring to was eMMC or High-density MLC NAND Flash & MMC controller, which provides the same functionality as an SSD drive in the ASUS Transformer.
Old 2011-07-29, 03:08 PM   #12
audacity
Veteran

Quote:
In Android slang terms, ROM refers to the protected flash memory that holds the OS (or ROM) and apps, not read only memory.
So you're saying Android is also wrong?

The 16GB/32GB/64GB you get in a iPad is like the hard disk/SSD/primary storage for that computer. It's not RAM, isn't not ROM. Calling it ROM isn't just misleading, it's incorrect because there is a clear unambiguous definition of what ROM is: memory that cannot be written to outside of the factory that created it.

So, if you had said "your tablet will likely have 512MB or 1GB of RAM in most models today, and the xxGB model descriptor is just describing how large the primary storage device is" then I wouldn't have jumped on your statement.

Just sayin'.
Old 2011-07-29, 03:27 PM   #13
NeilN
Veteran

Back on topic, although a different platform, I wouldn't go lower than the 32 GB iPad that I have now. It depends on how much of a packrat you are. Issues of National Geographic are 250+ MB each, the weekly New Yorker is 100+ MB, interactive eBooks are 200-500MB, videos are 600+ MB per 42 minutes, comic collections can be 200+ MB... It all adds up.
Old 2011-07-29, 03:45 PM   #14
TorontoColin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
So you're saying Android is also wrong?

The 16GB/32GB/64GB you get in a iPad is like the hard disk/SSD/primary storage for that computer. It's not RAM, isn't not ROM. Calling it ROM isn't just misleading, it's incorrect because there is a clear unambiguous definition of what ROM is: memory that cannot be written to outside of the factory that created it.
We're not talking about iPads, we're talking about Android. Android is different. In Android there are two separate pools of storage; internal flash memory and/or SD card, depending on your device, and a separate pool of storage which is reserved for the OS itself and apps. This space is flash memory and can be edited, but it cannot be expanded, do what it shops with is what you get for app storage. This space is referred to colloquially as NAND, or ROM, because it holds the ROM (the OS), not because it is read only memory.
Old 2011-07-29, 03:46 PM   #15
ScaryBob
Veteran

Can some of that be offloaded to network or SD card storage?