Sun News elicits most Canadian Broadcast Standards Council complaints in history - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-06-29, 08:29 AM   #1
alebowgm
Veteran

Default Sun News elicits most Canadian Broadcast Standards Council complaints in history

From The Star this morning...

Quote:
Canadian Broadcast Standards Council national chairman Ron Cohen says his organization has received more than 4,100 complaints about a June 1 interview between host Krista Erickson and Quebec-born dancer Margie Gillis.

The council typically receives about 2,000 complaints in an entire year.

“It’s the most individual complaints we’ve received about a single incident,” said Cohen in a telephone interview from Ottawa on Tuesday, noting that the number is only surpassed if petitions are included.

In fact, the council issued a release Tuesday asking Canadians to stop sending in complaints because the volume of letters already exceeds the council’s resources.

During the interview in question, Erickson quizzed Gillis about whether it was appropriate that she receive government grants to support her dance work.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...-watchdog?bn=1
Advertisement

Old 2011-06-29, 09:24 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Part two where the host becomes really obnoxious

I had to stop watching.

A host saying " I don't understand where you get off..."

Incredibly unprofessional.

who is Krista Erickson anyway? (never heard of her before this morning)
Old 2011-06-29, 09:28 AM   #3
hugh
Member #1

Googled:

She's a Sunshine Girl
http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-g...1/04/18/krista )
Old 2011-06-29, 09:51 AM   #4
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

She also gained notoriety for feeding questions to Liberal MP Pablo Rodriguez about Brian Mulroney's connection to the current Conservative Party, which Rodriguez asked Mulroney during the Mulroney/Schreiber inquiry over the Airbus affair.
Old 2011-06-29, 09:59 AM   #5
billpaidJr

I was more upset about the fact that lady has received over 1 million in arts funding... I am obviously in the wrong profession.
Old 2011-06-29, 10:40 AM   #6
magnet

I doubt that all 4100 complainers actually watched the interview live.

Quote:
The audience number for Sun News is, on average, 12,900 viewers. In the target demographic of viewers its advertisers are most often trying to reach – adults aged 25 to 54 – Sun News reaches an average of roughly 4,000 viewers.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2049522/
Old 2011-06-29, 11:01 AM   #7
hugh
Member #1

Youtube Video has 8,700 views so I'm sure that some watched that.

What I find ironic here is that Krista's job is dependent on the massive amounts of government handouts and special priveledges given to her employer (Quebecor) for its newspapers, radio, tv stations etc.

People in glass houses really shouldn't throw rocks.
Old 2011-06-29, 11:32 AM   #8
ScaryBob
Veteran

Quote:
I was more upset about the fact that lady has received over 1 million in arts funding...
That's less than $100,000 per year for funding a foundation, dance troupe and personal grants. That's not a lot of money. It's far less than many other publicly funded groups and individuals receive. It's less than some MPP's receive as a lifelong pension after serving a similar length of time in office. (Up to $140,000 per year starting at age 55.)

IMHO, public funding is also quite reasonable in light of the fact that she and the foundation's artists represent Canada in international competitions and on world tours. If you compare that to some other publicly funded institutions that represent Canada, it's quite a bargain. (For example, it costs Canadians over $50 million a year to fund the Governor General's office.)

Regardless of whether you think public funding of the arts is appropriate or not, Erickson's conduct was atrocious.
Old 2011-06-29, 11:43 AM   #9
billpaidJr

its a slippery slope when we fund things like this...everyone feels entitled to tax money for being in the arts. Then we get into debates about what is art and what is not.

I feel if its something worth while then it can sustain itself without handouts...or maybe I should just start my new art career and apply

In regards to her conduct...its her show and she can do what she wants with it. I saw nothing wrong with the discussion and if that is how she wanted to handle the guest its her prerogative... we all have remotes. We have no right to judge her "art" hehe...
Old 2011-06-29, 12:26 PM   #10
ScaryBob
Veteran

Margie Gillis represents and promotes Canada favorably around the world. That's enough for me. Artists do not get paid for rehearsals or for participating in international competitions. Maybe you want to withdraw funding for Olympic athletes as well. I don't agree.
Old 2011-06-29, 12:33 PM   #11
billpaidJr

I think the discussion is about people being upset at how the reporter treated her guest and the complaints that followed.

But i see how things always go back to what is worthy of public funding and what is not. My values are never everyone's values. Hopefully the taxpayer got its money's worth from her service.
Old 2011-06-29, 12:39 PM   #12
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
I think the discussion is about people being upset at how the reporter treated her guest and the complaints that followed.
Thank-you for getting us back on topic

Please let's focus on the complaint and NOT whether we should or should not subsidize the arts or specialty channels etc.
Old 2011-06-29, 12:49 PM   #13
alebowgm
Veteran

My bigger problem is with the CBSC saying to stop send in complaints. That is their job!
Old 2011-06-29, 12:52 PM   #14
hugh
Member #1

CBSC is simply an association paid for by the industry. It's rulings aren't binding and toothless. Clearly the industry doesn't give them much money either!

If people have complaints about what they see and hear on our airwaves they should send them to the CRTC.
Old 2011-06-29, 12:58 PM   #15
tvlurker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
If people have complaints about what they see and hear on our airwaves they should send them to the CRTC.
Which will send them back to the CBSC, AFAIK.