Accessing PVR contents remotely - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-06-25, 02:52 AM   #1
pookieman
Rookie

Default Accessing PVR contents remotely

Hi

Just had a query, does anybody know of a way to connect to the PVR remotely, Mac or PC so that you can access the recordings from a machine on the network. Should be possible I would imagine, at the end of the day the PVR recordings are just mpg files or a like.

Is there a way you can connect, don't know much about the XBOX 360, but that seems to be able to access the content from the main PVR box.

Just would be nice to watch stuff I've recorded on my computer in the study.

Thanks for any responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-06-25, 08:35 PM   #2
Wiremonkey

Short answer is no.

Heres a longer version.

The PVR employs very good encryption and additionally uses a communication with the TELUS OptikTV Headend to verify authorisation to play any recorded material from the PVR's HDD. The PVR infact will not play if there is no link to the internet for this reason. Of course being IP based none of the OptikTV will function if the internet is out.

Even if you took the HDD out of your PVR and placed it in another 430 it wouldn't play, because the headend would detect that it's in the wrong 430. This is why techs can't swap HDD in PVRs to keep your programs if your PVR fails (its ususally the HDD anyway). Likewise you can't take your 430 over to a friends house who has Optik and plug it in, it won't work there because its not authourised on that circuit. Trying to read the HDD on a PC (or Mac) is pointless due to the encryption. There is no work around. Microsoft is very particular about DRM.

- another TELUS tech
Old 2011-07-10, 11:16 PM   #3
da29
Rookie

Thanks for the easy to understand answer, Wiremonkey.

Follow-up questions.
1. Would a second Telus box allow me to watch PVR contents at an other location in the house? If yes, what limitations exist?
2. Again if yes, what would I need to do to connect the 'dumb' Telus box to my PC (which has an awesome sound system and huge monitor) so I don't need to buy another TV?

Thanks for your help.
DA29
Old 2011-07-11, 12:39 AM   #4
macdzich

1. Would a second Telus box allow me to watch PVR contents at an other location in the house? If yes, what limitations exist?

A: Yes, as long as it is connected to the Telus modem by either coax or Ethernet.

2. Again if yes, what would I need to do to connect the 'dumb' Telus box to my PC (which has an awesome sound system and huge monitor) so I don't need to buy another TV?

A: The Telus STB has an array of outputs you can use depending on what input your computer can accept. These are HDMI, Component, S-video, Composite, and Coax. It has optical output for sound too.
Old 2011-07-11, 03:54 PM   #5
PrimeBane
Veteran

Isn't remote viewing potentially an upgrade we may see? I seem to remember someone saying that the functionality is there with Mediaroom, Telus would just have to activate it.

If I could play PVR'd shows on my iPhone on the way to work, I'd be one very happy camper.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:16 PM   #6
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBane View Post
If I could play PVR'd shows on my iPhone on the way to work, I'd be one very happy camper.
I can see Microsoft doing that on Windows phones. It would happen there well before the iPhone... if ever.
Old 2011-07-17, 03:49 PM   #7
Password

My g/f keeps deleting a program on the history of guitars that I want to keep.

So I ran a coax cable from the pvr to my PC's t.v. input (pci t.v. card). It will record whatever is playing on the t.v. but in 4:3 only. It can be HD but it records 4:3.

So that's one way to get it to the PC.

I'm not sure if the 4:3 is the fault of the t.v. card or the coax - and it's the only input I can choose.
Old 2011-07-19, 10:49 PM   #8
shoota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Password View Post
My g/f keeps deleting a program on the history of guitars that I want to keep.

So I ran a coax cable from the pvr to my PC's t.v. input (pci t.v. card). It will record whatever is playing on the t.v. but in 4:3 only. It can be HD but it records 4:3.

So that's one way to get it to the PC.

I'm not sure if the 4:3 is the fault of the t.v. card or the coax - and it's the only input I can choose.
Video over coax will only be in SD 4:3. If you have the STB outputting HD over component or HDMI, and also outputting over coax it will be a cropped SD image.

Tags
optik, pvr, remote access