New Shaw HDPVR Remote - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2011-06-17, 07:52 PM   #1
magic_1994

Default New Shaw HDPVR Remote

I used to have an older Universal remote and could (re)program individual
keys with a Setup-994 code.

Is this not possible with the new 1056B03 Remote (came with my DCX-3400)?
I'm trying to use it with a Yamaha HTR-6190B receiver - the http://www.urcsupport.com website suggests device code 2061, but that will not allow me to turn ON the receiver, only control it whilst it's on, and turn it off! I know there is a discrete code to do both, but without 994, I can't access it.

Also, does anyone know how to disable the backlight every time you press a key? The manual says about pressing setup twice, but that does nothing.

Can anyone offer advice here...

thanks,
m
Advertisement

Old 2011-06-17, 08:14 PM   #2
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

What remote did you get with your 3400? Can you post a picture of it because all I got with the four 3400s I bought last year was the Atlas remotes. I don't see any info on Shaw's website for any remotes other than the last two Shaw has had in the past several years. I'd be curious to see what type you got. I'll have to look up the number you posted.

EDIT: Found it on the URC site. Interesting looking unit. For now, if you aren't happy with how it works, you could take it in to a Shaw office and exchange it for a standard Atlas one. I'd hang onto it and just buy another Atlas from Shaw as they are only $15, or they used to be. They have a box full of them for the taking off to the side at the front desk in the Barlow office. There is a second box beside the one marked 'new' that is marked 'used' so I gather the protocol is to 'swap' out a bad one for a good one. Perhaps they have given up on charging for these but I would ask before just taking one if you aren't dropping off a bad one.
Old 2011-06-17, 08:30 PM   #3
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I see there is a list of 19 different codes in the User Manual that is available on the URC site. Have you tried all of those? If you scroll down in the window that showed you the '2061' code, there is a button that says 'show me more' and you can go through all of those until you find one that works. There should have been an instruction manual with the remote and the codes should be there too.
Old 2011-06-17, 11:53 PM   #4
magic_1994

Hi Jetranger,
yeah thanks - I was just at the Barlow/32nd office this aft... saw the big box of "help yourself to a remote"! - all 2nd hand presumably, but who cares too much...

Yeah, this is a brand new remote - still Universal, but for some reason doesn't take kindly to the 994 programming of individual buttons like the old crop used to - minor inconvenience being I actually have to be upstanding to turn on the receiver (or grab the receiver remote!!) - used to be I could program both the ON and OFF functions into the remote

I did try all the numbers, but none of them produced a working ON/OFF toggle for the power - I think these Yamaha receivers are a bit unique in having two separate codes for ON and OFF, and the indicated TOGGLE code never seems to have worked with them - which specific Atlas remotes did you get?

Anybody else figure out how to program individual keys like we used to be able to with the 994 codes???
Old 2011-06-19, 04:10 PM   #5
Jetranger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_1994 View Post
...which specific Atlas remotes did you get? ...
I have the same Atlas that Shaw has been handing out for the last year or so, at least they all look the same to me. They are labeled 11055BA2 on the sticker inside the battery compartment.
Old 2011-06-19, 04:18 PM   #6
Jetranger
Veteran

After reading through the manual for this 'new' remote, it seems it is not a 'learning' remote at all. It does seem to offer new Blu-Ray codes that the 'older' remotes have not had but I think I would rather have the ability to learn a function than not have it.

I would just use one of the regular Atlas remotes and program your 'C' key as the Power ON switch for your Yamaha.
Old 2011-06-20, 09:43 PM   #7
magic_1994

I'll have to swing by the Shaw bldg again and see if they have any of the older remotes... if I'd have known, I could have kept the 2 remotes from my old DCTs I traded in!!
Old 2011-06-21, 04:01 PM   #8
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

Sorry many reps were not aware the new back lit remote does not have the learning function. If you need this I would recommend picking up a couple of the older remotes before they are no longer available as Shaw does not stock them any longer and all returned ones get scrapped as far as i know.
Old 2011-06-21, 05:42 PM   #9
Jetranger
Veteran

Wow! This is tragic news. The Atlas was finally a not bad remote and now they are replacing it with one that is worse? What are they thinking? Oh, I forgot, little thought goes into these decisions.
Old 2011-06-22, 10:19 PM   #10
magic_1994

crazy workaround... since I'm only controlling 3 devices, I made my VCR key into an Audio key and found different Yamaha code that makes the Power button work as an ON button... now I can use the VCR device mode to power the Receiver ON (and coincidentally do all the other Receiver things) and use the Audio device mode to do all the Receiver things and power it OFF...
Old 2011-08-12, 12:52 AM   #11
referee77
Rookie

Wow...I just had m DCT3416i replaced...and the new one came with this new remote control. Epic Fail!! That's all I have to say. It's a horrible remote. Whomever designed the button layout should be shot. Why did they move the exit button? Why doesn't my setting button work? Why does this thing blink lights everytime I press a button? Booo!!!
Old 2011-08-12, 07:19 AM   #12
DSgamby
Veteran

referee77: What does the new remote look like? Take a pic and post it.
Old 2011-08-13, 12:30 AM   #13
Jetranger
Veteran

If the OP is correct (I think he may have missed a 'C' in the model number), it's the third one on the URC page at the link provided in Post#1 of this thread.
Old 2011-08-13, 06:50 PM   #14
bowmah

Love the lit buttons on the new unit but they moved the exist button too far up and left to reach easily. When I surf, I need to exit the guide as soon as I can! lol
Old 2011-08-13, 08:43 PM   #15
antonk

Can you program the green D button to be the exit button? If you can't do it directly, then perhaps use the learning function with the older remote?