Recording not available - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-06-11, 06:33 PM   #1
smithfan

Default Recording not available

When I first had my optik service setup (2 weeks ago) I was using a PVR and an xbox.
I replaced the xbox with a 330 (got a new activation code etc). Since then I get recording not available error randomly while watching things off the PVR 3 or 4 times in a 90 minute show.
In the 2 weeks I had the xbox hooked up it never did it once.
I tried a full system restart and that didnt help. Are there any settings in the router I can change to fix the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-06-12, 11:02 AM   #2
merve04

Does your recording go missing shortly after you may have paused the show your watching? If so, its a known issue. you'd have to leave the PVR on or do like me, if you want to pause, just hit stop, then resume.
LG 32LS3400|Telus CIS330
Old 2011-06-12, 04:03 PM   #3
smithfan

No it does it while watching shows. I finally moved the pvr to another room and connected both with cat 5 (one was coax before). I could have called tech support but ive wasted way too much time with them this week already.
Old 2011-06-14, 10:01 PM   #4
merve04

sorry maybe i didnt explain myself correctly. you start watching a recorded show, hit pause, do what you had to do, come back to play and then all of a sudden your show stops and your recordings are gone from the dvr but eventually come back within a minute. correct?
LG 32LS3400|Telus CIS330
Old 2011-06-21, 03:10 AM   #5
Meestor_X

Does Telus never push MS into fixing their bugs? This bug (and many others) have been there since Telus upgraded to MR2.0, which was quite some time ago. It's pretty pathetic that MS didn't have a fix for this within a short time, but shame on Telus for not demanding better service from them.
Old 2011-06-24, 11:35 AM   #6
i6s1

This is probably the bug from the new version. Leave the 430 powered on, instead of turning it to standby, when you're watching a recording on the 330.
Old 2011-06-29, 01:40 AM   #7
GGopher

I have had this exact same problem. It happens at least once a day, and it does seem to occur more often now with the new mediaroom software.

While watching a recorded show on the 330, the recording will just stop playing randomly with the message "Recording Unavailable". Then when I check my list of recordings, the list is empty. I have to wait for the entire list of recordings to reload (takes ~2 min, the number of recorded shows slowly increases) before I can resume playing.

My new house is wired with gigabit ethernet, I can't imagine the network is being overloaded. This is really annoying, Telus needs to get this issue fixed.
Old 2011-06-29, 10:53 PM   #8
Wiremonkey

There is a firmware update being tested right now that is intended to fix this issue and several others that have become known since the Mediaroom 2 upgrade. No current time line but it shouldn't be too much longer.

- another TELUS tech
Old 2011-06-29, 11:39 PM   #9
WontonNoodle

omg yes!!! does the new firmware update also fix the black levels/poor picture on hd streams?
Old 2011-07-09, 11:54 AM   #10
Wiremonkey

Default Updated info to restore PVR function.

Update for customers who are experiencing issues with their PVRs.

If you are having issues with reaching or using your PVR, please call into TELUS, explain you're experiencing PVR issues and request they reset your port. After the port has been reset, preform a full system restart. See the "Troubleshootng" thread for instructions on performing a full system restart.

This should restore the functionality.

These issues are supposed to addressed with the next firmware "push", but for now what I've provided is the updated 'fix' that has just been provided to techs in the field this week.

- another TELUS tech
Old 2011-07-10, 01:03 PM   #11
lord500
Rookie

I just got off the phone with telustech.... I was informed the update has been delayed, ETA unknown. This was based on an info update as of yesterday (his words).

I've got to admit, this has been going on for many many many months now, and my wife is wondering repeatedly about switching back to Shaw.

For now, all I could to was re-boot and cross my fingers.
(they worked on my wireless connection too - but that was a whole other issue).

Brian
Old 2011-07-25, 03:32 AM   #12
akwok
Rookie

This is starting to become a REALLY annoying problem. When is a fix going to arrive? It happens every single night.
Old 2011-07-25, 06:23 PM   #13
pokee99

I just got Optik TV installed on Friday, and it happened to me twice yesterday (watching recorded show on STB, pause, come back and watch, message 'recording not available', all recordings disappear, I panick, they all return within 30 seconds, and then I watch the remainder of my recorded program with no issues).

I am going to try avoiding the pause button and see if it still happens.
Old 2011-07-25, 08:09 PM   #14
Artiecon

Default Updated info to restore PVR function.

For Wiremonkey- I followed your advice and called ans asked Telus to reset my connection. Unfortunately, that very evening, I had a recurrence of the problem- watching a PVRed show and suddenly the show stops with the message "Recording not available. Please ensure you are connected... etc." I immediately go to live TV and it is there no problem. Bacl tp recorded shows and they eventually populate the list and I can once again watch my show.

Since after the reset, it goes back to the last time I paused or rewound or othersise sent a command back to the PVR, I started pausing my programs every 15 minutes to make the time shorted to FF to where the show stopped.

It is getting annoying!
Old 2011-07-25, 10:53 PM   #15
macdzich

Artiecon,

I wonder if it could be the modem not directing traffic properly. Have you tried to ask for a tech to come out and maybe swap out a modem for you and test it?