TiVo / Cablecard and Cogeco - working (or maybe not) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2011-10-28, 09:01 PM   #16
gthomas
Rookie

Default cablecard & ceton infinitv4

This is great news! I been waiting to build a proper media center for a while now. Has anyone tried the ceton infinitv4 tuners with their cablcards yet?

I have just puchased 2 of the motorola cards off ebay and I'm gonna give it a go. Not looking forward to battling with cogeco though!

I'll post back my results if/when I get it all working. I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Thanks.
gthomas is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-29, 09:43 PM   #17
rickyb

Good luck! I'll be interested to see how you make out. I'm hoping to try something similar myself down the road. All the best.
rickyb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-05, 01:15 PM   #18
mattbg
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
This is great news! I been waiting to build a proper media center for a while now. Has anyone tried the ceton infinitv4 tuners with their cablcards yet?

I have just puchased 2 of the motorola cards off ebay and I'm gonna give it a go. Not looking forward to battling with cogeco though!

I'll post back my results if/when I get it all working. I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Thanks.
I hope to God you get it working.

I just gave up my Media Center for a Cogeco PVR because I wanted some channels that were digital-only and it is a real piece of crap in comparison.
mattbg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-24, 03:15 PM   #19
Zork
Rookie

Talking Working with Cogeco and Tivo HD

Thank you jackastor!!!! (and of course the others who contributed to this thread)

I had an old Series2 that I gave up when I moved to HD. Got the Pace box from Cogeco and *hated* it (seeing as I was used to a TiVo)

I read this thread and decided it was worth trying. Picked up a TiVo HD and a Motorola M-Stream cable card on eBay and I now have all my digital channels, including HD.

I will note that for mine I did the following things:
1. Activated my TiVo with the TiVo service before inserting the cable card -- so it could get all the guide data first.
2. After I had the guide data, I wrote down the numbers from the card (sn and ua) and popped the card in my TiVo
3. Called Cogeco, told them I had a box to activate. Didn't mention TiVo or Cablecards. I did say it was a DCT2000 and that the guy I bought it from said it had to be activated as a 1 way device. When I gave him the serial number he thought it was wrong, but I just told him that was the number for "s/n" on it, and he went ahead and tried it with no more problems.
4. When he activated it he said my box should shut off and once that happened I should leave it for 30 minutes then turn it on. My TiVo never shut off, or did anything that indicated that it was doing anything (it was just on the card 'status' screen). At this point I ended the call (I was called away in real life and had to go).
When I came back to the TiVo about an hour later, I tried the channels and they all worked except for HD!! I don't know if it would have immediately worked -- or if waiting did the trick, I never thought to actually look -- I had assumed I would see something on the status screen
5. For my HD channels, I only had 2 -- all of the rest of the HD channels were just blank screens -- no messages, no picture, no nothing. I called Cogeco and he tried to reactivate the box for HD. Again, he thought the SN was very strange, but had no problems trying. When he couldn't get it to activate, he looked into the DCT2000 and found it was a SD only box. I just told him that mine wasn't because it had a HDMI port on it. This really confused him, but he tried again anyway. When that didn't work he offered to send a tech out to help. Obviously I didn't want this (I certainly wouldn't waste Cogeco's time having a tech call for something that they don't support) so I told him I'd call back

With my normal cable box, when channels don't work I get a 'not authorized' message. The TiVo just showed me literally nothing but a blank screen... I figured it was worth a shot...

I changed the channel to one of the problem HD stations, called Cogeco and asked them to authorize my HD channels on my new receiver. She looked and said that I only had 1 HD receiver on my account (the Cogeco PVR box). I said something like 'yeah, your records show the other one as SD, but it is HD for sure since it has a HDMI port' -- she seemed to accept that and 30 seconds later my HD channels appeared on screen!

Everyone at Cogeco was very helpful for me -- they asked a few questions but were willing to at least give it a try.

On the off chance that anyone from Cogeco corporate reads this... take this as a PLUS to your business. The Pace PVR box & iGuide was crap, and offered no reason to stay with Cogeco. Now that I've got my TiVo working (with the help of your friendly, English speaking staff) you've got a paying monthly customer for many more decades. That little effort went a long way in making me happy!

Good luck!
Zork is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-24, 06:12 PM   #20
faston
Veteran

Great story Zork!

I sure wish that Shaw supported CableCards so I could receive all channels on my Tivo HD and let me ditch the Motorola box.
faston is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-25, 10:12 PM   #21
rickyb

Well done Zork! Thanks for the detailed post.

And I couldn't agree more. If anyone from Cogeco is reading this thread, please consider getting more open allowing Tivo onto your system. A better user experience can only benefit your business and it doesn't seem like it's a major support issue.

Zork, could you let us know which Tivo (Series 3, Premiere, etc) you purchased and if you don't mind, the general area you are in. Perhaps the customer service experience may differ for some depending on where they are located.

I'm thinking of picking up a Series 3 on eBay to give this a try.

Thanks again!
Old 2011-11-28, 12:20 AM   #22
Zork
Rookie

The model is literally called 'TiVo HD'
I would avoid Series 3 because *as I understand it* the Series 3 isn't capable of reading "multi" stream cards -- which means that you need to purchase (and activate) two cards to get the dual tuner working.
The TiVo premier was on average a fair amount more expensive, although not massively so.
The HD is model TCD652160

I'm not too far away from Kingston, but I think you always talk to the people in Burlington when you call... That's who I spoke with.
Old 2011-12-08, 09:55 PM   #23
rickyb

Thanks Zork.
Old 2011-12-08, 10:19 PM   #24
gthomas
Rookie

Default Ceton infinitv4

sorry for the late reply...

Haven't been able to get this going properly, however it seems someone else has on this forum!

I hope to get back to it possibly this weekend and will post my results.
gthomas is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-13, 12:35 PM   #25
davemcd
Rookie

Default cogeco and cable cards

to get a tivo to function properly i purchase 1 that takes a cable card buy a card from e bay put it in the tivo connect the cable to it then get cogeco to activate the cable card without them knowing it is a cable card ?
davemcd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-14, 01:09 PM   #26
Zork
Rookie

Yup - that's the idea.
Old 2012-01-05, 05:21 PM   #27
shparson
Rookie

Default What about Switched Digital Video?

Does anyone on this forum know if Switched Digital Video is a concern or problem yet? I am thinking of making the jump to TIVO just outside of Kingston (Napanee) and was told we (by Cogeco) have SDV here.

So I don't want to buy a TIVO to only be disappointed.
And the big 'if', what 'if' Cogeco could
And can Cogeco support a SDV adapter like the Motorola MTR700?
shparson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-18, 05:30 PM   #28
faston
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
...or the TiVo monthly fees.
Nope. It won't do anything without a Tivo subscription.
faston is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-28, 03:18 AM   #29
Grayed Cogopoly

Default Not to quibble, but in fact....

I believe 57 is wrong; cablecard standards allow for 2-way communications (required I believe by FCC) and service provider A-Team vans will be extinct soon me thinks. (What's the point really?)

Last edited by 57; 2012-01-28 at 10:50 AM. Reason: OT paragraph removed
Grayed Cogopoly is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-28, 10:50 AM   #30

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

If you take the time to read item 5 of post 9, you'll see that some newer cards are two way. Standard (original) CableCARDs were one-way. Yes, once everything is digital, there will be little need for home visits except for installations or problems that cannot be resolved by using the communication tools available. Nevertheless they will never be zero.

This thread is specifically about making CableCARD work with Cogeco. Future posts not on that topic will be deleted. There are other general threads on CableCARD and Tru2Way.

Tags
cablecard, cogeco, tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.