I think TSN'S Sportcentre could use a graphic overlay overhaul - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On In Sports?

Old 2011-05-09, 06:57 PM   #1
ESPN

Default I think TSN'S Sportcentre could use a graphic overlay overhaul

When TSN announced in 2009 they were going to be overhauling Sportscentre's graphics package, i was initially happy about the news. Then when i saw what they had done, i was disappointed. They simply had replaced the opening and some of the transitional swipes with the one's ESPN currently uses, and had basically forgone updating there very dated looking stat overlays and bottomline.

Now, I don't expect anything to change in the near future, but i took these captures of ESPN'S current graphics package to show how much of a difference there is between the 2 show's overlays and bottomline. Notice how much more vibrant and complimentary the colors are with ESPN'S graphic package. They also generally look way slicker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-05-09, 07:55 PM   #2
NB Josh
Veteran

I actually think that we will see an overhaul of TSN's graphics in about 7 weeks for the start of the CFL season. It should carry over to SportsCentre. I'm hesitant to say it will happen for sure, but I get the feeling it might.
Old 2011-05-11, 07:10 PM   #3
DirtyShirt

So it's still not a option to give us ESPN? TSN/TSN2 jack everything and throw in a few extra hockey games and thats hockey2night. Great network(s) with awsome programs.
Old 2011-05-14, 09:09 PM   #4
Paolo
Veteran

i want to the states and watched espn, to my supprise, the graphics and heck even the name sportscenter reminded me of tsn that tells me tsn copied espns graphics? why would they do such a thing? they DO need a make over
Old 2011-05-15, 12:00 AM   #5
special k

i think espn owns a small portion of tsn
Old 2011-05-15, 10:14 AM   #6
leaffan1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by special k View Post
i think espn owns a small portion of tsn
ESPN owns 20% of what was CTV Specialty Television, which owns TSN, Discovery, Dome Productions and what not... This has been the case since 2001 when the TSN logo was redone to look more like ESPN branding. The wikipedia article is a good read if you want to know more about that. That is when "Sportsdesk" was renamed "Sportscentre".

Ever since the TSN graphics have been similar to ESPNs, but usually a couple years behind on changes. I expect when the new ones come out they will pick up the ESPN sportscentre "Background loops" for full screen graphics on the show, but the lower thirds will resemble the ones seen at the NHL Fantasy Draft at the All Star game, and the ones for "TSN on Bell Smartphones" that you see periodically now.
Old 2011-05-24, 05:27 PM   #7
primehifi

ESPN graphics will always be a thousand times better then TSN's.

ESPN makes a lot more money then TSN and as such, can afford to have a larger and more skilled graphics department.

You watch espn and they'll whip up a package which is huge, run it once for some small feature on sportscenter then you'll never see it again.

$
Old 2011-05-24, 06:43 PM   #8
CenturyBreak

More important is the fact that TSN apparently doesn't have the cash to hire primary school graduates to type in the content for Sportscentre's on-screen graphics.

Whoever the clueless dolts are, they persist in misspelling words, and even names! Worst yet is that they continuously use apostrophes for plurals... just yesterday it was in the Top 10, with the theme being things that come in " 3's " (sic).

Mind you, I recall one instance where they/he/she combined all of the above and spelled Leo Rautins surname as "Rautin's"

Wow. Unfriggin-believable!
Old 2011-05-26, 05:13 PM   #9
leaffan1967

I see TSN now has an ESPN-looking bottomline during Around the Horn, sign of things to come perhaps???
Old 2011-05-26, 06:19 PM   #10
jimemos

updated graphics for sportscentre too. very shiny... not much of an improvement in my opinion.
Old 2011-05-26, 07:05 PM   #11
CenturyBreak

Yep, shiny new graphics; same old unprofessional content: today it was "game 7's" referring to the result of the Bruins' choking last night.

Sheesh.
Old 2011-05-26, 07:22 PM   #12
NB Josh
Veteran

They seem to be including a lot more information in their new tickers. Before it was just NHL, NBA and MLB scores, with the odd TSN promo and some injury news. Now they have full tennis scores and more. If they keep this up, I'd say it's an improvement.
Old 2011-05-26, 07:48 PM   #13
leaffan1967

I am still not a fan of the SC double stack ticker, would rather they have the single line one for sportscentre as well. All thats left now is the REAL graphics package (lower thirds, full screens etc), then it will look great
Old 2011-05-26, 08:04 PM   #14
jimemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan1967 View Post
I am still not a fan of the SC double stack ticker, would rather they have the single line one for sportscentre as well. All thats left now is the REAL graphics package (lower thirds, full screens etc), then it will look great
i agree. the new bottomline they were running during around the horn and PTI looked much better. basically identical to the ESPN one, but not optimized for 16:9 so it fit less text. the look was a huge improvement over the old one though. just not a fan of the SC ticker.
Old 2011-05-26, 08:49 PM   #15
leaffan1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimemos View Post
i agree. the new bottomline they were running during around the horn and PTI looked much better. basically identical to the ESPN one, but not optimized for 16:9 so it fit less text. the look was a huge improvement over the old one though. just not a fan of the SC ticker.
Yes, ESPN overlays the ticker separately for HD and SD feed (except shows that are framed 16:9, like PTI and ATH)... TSN letterboxes those shows, but still center cuts the rest. What TSN does MOST of the time makes the new bottomline exactly like the one you see on ABC for College Football and NBA