CRTC requires Bell TV and Shaw Direct to carry more local television - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-05-04, 03:28 PM   #16
jaxon9032

Bell and Shaw Direct shouldn't have to carry these. Instead, the broadcasters should have to actually invest in transmitters that provide a decent signal. Where I live (which is in the City of Penticton), I cannot receive a single station using rabbit ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-05-04, 03:48 PM   #17
Blackloz

Thumbs down

Like ive said before. All I want to see in my area are the 3 canadian nets that are in my area. Im sorry but we do not need coast to coast networks and never will. People that want time shifting can use the american nets for that. So +1 for spot beam only locals on this end. If the CRTC wants to really protect canadian nets/businesses thats the way to do it.
Old 2011-05-04, 04:06 PM   #18
mbeard

Default You are kidding me...

I think the CRTC wasn't paying attention the past couple of days. There is no way the Conservative Gov't will allow this ruling to stand. This is a lose - lose proposition for both the business end of the spectrum (no friend of mine!) and those who will ultimately pay... the consumer.
Old 2011-05-04, 04:20 PM   #19
TJ77
Veteran

Cram them all onto a single transponder in MPEG4 8PSK format, they'll be virtually unwatchable, but virtually nobody will notice.
There's still lots of time for this to be over turned, rest assured that the Bell and Shaw legal teams are churning out ideas.
Old 2011-05-04, 04:21 PM   #20
Wayne
Veteran

How about you just make the local shows available for streaming over then net and you just give one network affiliate per time zone?
Old 2011-05-04, 04:22 PM   #21
scrooloose
Veteran

From what's been made public, Bell has no plans for additional satellite capacity (Nimiq 6 is just a replacement satellite). Whatever Bell does will have to be done on the 64 transponders they have currently. MPEG4 will help but they don't seem in any hurry to do that. I hope they stuff all these new locals on one transponder (and SD only).

-Mike
Old 2011-05-04, 04:28 PM   #22
TJ77
Veteran

And Shaw is only going to be gaining 16 transponders from the extended Ku band, and by the time those are operational, there will be enough HD channels available to easily fill that space, even at 6 channels per transponder.
Old 2011-05-04, 05:25 PM   #23
hugh
Member #1

off topic posts removed.

The subject is CRTC requires Bell TV and Shaw Direct to carry more local television so please keep your discussion focused on this decision.

Thank-you.
Old 2011-05-04, 05:46 PM   #24
mjjl

Both CIHF-TV Halifax and CIHF-TV-2 Saint John? What a waste. Those two are identical except for some commercials. Nothing particularly local about the Saint John station.
Old 2011-05-04, 06:07 PM   #25
rob50312

I fail to see how this is better than having spot sat.coverage for each region for local stations.This way I could watch any station and not the local one atleast give the sat. providers the option and state that they provide the local stations in each area.
Old 2011-05-04, 06:16 PM   #26
mastercontrol

I could see the BDUs removing any local channel that is not funded by the LPIF to make room. For example, CHRO (/A\ Ottawa) is not on the list.
Old 2011-05-04, 06:18 PM   #27
TJ77
Veteran

Spot beam coverage would be useful, but the satellites have to be designed with that capability in mind, which to my knowledge the Anik and Nimiq satellites were not. Basically spot beams come from special antennas that reuse the same frequencies over rand over.
Old 2011-05-04, 06:48 PM   #28
timlocke

Bell and Shaw should just ignore the directive. That gets them through most of 2012. Find a way to get to the Supreme court would take another couple of years. Konrad will be retired by then...Or just talk to Tony Clement...he'll fix it.

In all seriousness, this requires Bell and Shaw to find a political or legal solution, not to change compression algorithms or loft any new /better satellites.
Old 2011-05-04, 06:49 PM   #29
jericho

"I think the CRTC wasn't paying attention the past couple of days. There is no way the Conservative Gov't will allow this ruling to stand. This is a lose - lose proposition for both the business end of the spectrum (no friend of mine!) and those who will ultimately pay... the consumer. "

I don't think the Conservatives give a damn. Back to the topic at hand, I agree, they should remove similar channels such as A Ottawa that aren't part of LPIF to make room.
Old 2011-05-04, 07:10 PM   #30
bigoranget
Veteran

Here's my two cents

Using MPEG4 compression and 8PSK modulation, as many as 30 SD channels can fit on one transponder. Chances are some existing channels will move to this method as well.

I really don't think this CRTC decision is all that controversial. Also keep in mind Bell already agreed to carry the 43 additional locals by August 31, 2012 through it's tangible benefits package when they purchased CTVGlobalMedia. Part of that package included migrating services to MPEG-4 to accommodate the addition of these locals

For Shaw Direct, when they launch their new satellite, all 16 transponders will be MPEG-4. They will likely convert all the existing F1R and F2 HD channels to MPEG-4/8PSK as well. So there should be more then enough capacity to add these locals.

IMO Shaw and Bell should have planned for increased capacity and/or MPEG-4 migration all long time ago. They have both dragged their feet for long enough, so I do not have much sympathy for either BDU.

Conclusion: I really don't think this CRTC decision is anything to lose sleep over. I also have serious doubts that the industry leader will get involved and I also doubt Bell or Shaw will appeal the decision either.