Ubuntu 11.04 Released - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Linux

Old 2011-05-03, 03:06 PM   #16
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

Under "Login Screen" choose Ubuntu Classic. Reboot and your desktop will be as it once was before Unity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-05-03, 03:25 PM   #17
bucketo

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Yipee. Made my day!
Old 2011-05-03, 11:35 PM   #18
ScaryBob
Veteran

Thumbs up Virtual Ubuntu

I gave this a spin on VirtualBox. Very impressive. It requires 128MB of video RAM and 3D acceleration to run the Unity desktop. It also requires a larger than default virtual disk. My only nitpick is the placement of the window icons, in the opposite corner from most other desktops.
Old 2011-05-04, 07:40 AM   #19
Ed7789

I want to note that changing between Unity, GNOME (Ubuntu Classic), KDE (Kubuntu), etc. doesn't require a reboot , but you have to log off, change and login.
Old 2011-05-04, 06:44 PM   #20
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketo View Post
Hey Cyclism, if you don't mind me asking, how do you go back to the "classic"?

I love the speed of the latest update but I really don't like the new menu system. What I loved about the old one is the simplicity: a nice small menu system top left of the screen. I could drop more launch icons up there as needed.

Some programs aren't acting like they did before I upgraded. Both Pidgin and Tweetdeck can be set to "minimize on the x button" but the programs now shut down.

I'd love to go back to the old menu system from 2 weeks ago. Excuse my lack of the terms for each release, I just wiped my machine and put ubuntu on it in the last month...
You log out and you have the option in the GDM (The login screen) to change your desktop environment. It pretty much in the middle of the bottom panel.
A picture is worth a thousand words!
Old 2011-05-05, 09:14 PM   #21
Jake

Well I took the plunge and put 11.04 on my vintage Acer TravelMate. I gave up on 10.10 because I could not get the laptop screen to activate after a reboot and the wireless was problematic. I spent way too much time and tried all the tips here and at other places. Well 11.04 did the exact same thing. Video worked fine during install and reboots but as soon as the laptop was off and started again. Nothing. I could hear the chime and knew it was working and not frozen.

This time I decided to dig a little deeper on the internet and low and behold I found the answer. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ubuntu that is. I have to press CTRL +ATL+F8 to get the logon screen to appear (which is the volume Fn on this laptop). Funny thing is if I have an external monitor that step is not required. Finally now I can focus on playing with my Ubuntu.

I did switch to Classic and it seems snappy for a 6 year old laptop.
Old 2011-05-06, 03:31 AM   #22
madhi19

For old hardware "Unity/Gnome 3" might not be the way to go. You may get a better performance boost out of a Xfce desktop like Xubuntu or Mint Debian Xfce edition. The added bonus is that if the direction that Unity and Gnome 3 are taking is not to your liking the Xfce desktop experience is really close to Gnome 2.32. That pretty much my fall back plan when Canonical phase out Ubuntu classic in favour of Unity 2d.

Last edited by Jake; 2011-05-06 at 08:13 AM. Reason: quote unnecessary
Old 2011-05-06, 08:13 AM   #23
Jake

Thanks for the heads up. I just assumed the Classic interface would remain. I actually have Classic (No effects) selected.
Old 2011-05-09, 08:33 AM   #24
Jake

I seem to have hit a snag with my "Linux rollout". First off let me ask can I share a removable NTFS USB drive under 11.04? It does not complain so I assume the answer is yes. I am using the Classic interface.

I can see the share and have guest access enabled but it is not working.

Also who is "nobody"? Is that akin to anonymous?

Most articles talk about installing Samba but I was under the impression "Personal File Sharing" was built-in. I should not that "Personal File Sharing" dialog tell me the modules are not installed and the option is greyed out.
Old 2011-05-09, 01:36 PM   #25
madhi19

I don't know if you can share a whole drive but usually all you need is right click on a folder and go into Properties.
Old 2011-05-09, 01:50 PM   #26
Francois Caron
Veteran

Samba allows you to communicate with the network file sharing system of Windows. As a rule, I always install it otherwise my Windows and Linux machines could never talk to each other.
Old 2011-05-09, 03:10 PM   #27
ScaryBob
Veteran

There are two types (at least) of file sharing under Linux. Those are the Linux to Linux version (NFS) and the Linux to Windows version (SMB aka Samba.)